3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Cutthroat Broadheads Get to WORK: ***HUNTING PICTURES ADDED***  (Read 4454 times)

Offline Manitoba Stickflinger

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Cutthroat Broadheads Get to WORK: ***HUNTING PICTURES ADDED***
« Reply #40 on: October 30, 2014, 11:36:00 PM »
The head looks awesome either way!

Offline highPlains

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: October 31, 2014, 01:05:00 AM »
Originally posted by Manitoba Stickflinger:
Never could understand LW feather, LH helical, or L bevel. Last time I checked when my arrow is spinning counterclockwise and the head sticks into something hard the arrow screws off the head. Suppose it's a good idea with wood arrows though? I'll stick to RW as well. IMO...RH should have been 1st as it at least has an argument behind it.... Just my opinion..

The head looks awesome either way!
Thanks Ryan. We went with left bevel to start strictly because of our sales data.
>>---> TC
Rocky Mountain Specialt

Offline RickE

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: October 31, 2014, 09:05:00 AM »
As I've heard LW is/was much more popular due to the fact that when commercial turkeys had their wings clipped it was typically the right wing.  Thus, there were more left wing flight feathers available for fletching, etc. and they became the 'standard'.  For most people who are right-handed it probably is true.  I think I read it on one of the feather producer's websites; e.g. Gateway, Trueflight, etc.....maybe it's just a fairy tale??    :)

Offline screamin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: November 03, 2014, 02:48:00 PM »
Well I ordered a set of the 200gr screw-ins and they arrived today. For you guys that asked, blade thickness is .065. They are pretty hard steel, probably 54 rockwell. I use the Simons sharpening system and they sharpened up pretty quick to my standards. They spin true and fly well.

I'm kinda a broadhead junky and like to shoot what I am considering hunting with into fresh cow shoulder blades to see how they perform. One very important factor of a good penetrating broadhead is ferrule diameter... it MUST be larger than the arrow diameter or the arrow shaft stops penetration through the bone. Time and time again I have seen this happen, the shaft literally hangs up in the bone stopping penetration. This heads ferrule diameter is larger than my 5/16 brass inserts and the 5575 Traditional behind it. Well done!    :clapper:  

I think I would like a RB over a left though.    :pray:

Offline el chupa nibre

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: November 18, 2014, 08:24:00 PM »
Any updates on performance and/or production? Really looking forward to this broadhead in right bevel!

Offline saltwatertom

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: November 18, 2014, 08:56:00 PM »
I'd go for a 200 gr screw in if it had a 3 to 1 ratio like the glue on.
"There is always luck about, for those willing to look for it"

Offline acolobowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: November 19, 2014, 12:48:00 PM »
Looks like a nice broadhead, but at $15.00 each???  I will stick with my Zwickee heads, unless Randy wants to loan me a couple.

Offline highPlains

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: November 19, 2014, 03:53:00 PM »
Gene, trust me, I understand. I wish there was a way to machine a solid piece broadhead at a less expensive price.

Initial test results were good. I haven't got much feedback from guys outside of our family/friends.

We are going to beef up the tip a little bit. The tips get a little too thin after they are ground and sharpened. But the broadheads worked like, well...they worked like a broadhead should. Not like we are reinventing the wheel. Just offering a solid design in a single piece head.

I watched RMSGear employee and good buddy Brock kill a few deer. He used the 160gr glue on with a 125gr steel adapter.

Brock got a complete passthrough on this doe and she put down a nice 60 yard blood trail.

The next morning I watched Brock put a 4 hour stalk on a muley that bedded in a fire weed patch with a doe. On a windless day, Brock crawled up to this guy and waited him out. His patience was impressive. Brock and his brothers kill some great muleys in this country.

In this picture you can see Brock in the weeds, the doe to his left, and the buck near his final resting place on the right.

Another complete passthrough.

There's two kinds of dirt on a broadhead. There's good dirt, and there's bad dirt. This was good dirt.

The blood path was easy to follow.

Brock and me with his buck.

>>---> TC
Rocky Mountain Specialt

Offline highPlains

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: November 19, 2014, 03:55:00 PM »
I killed a doe with the 200gr screw in. She did not go five yards from the shot.

The big bucks barely eluded me this year, barely. But my cousin shot a tremendous deer with an adapted 160 glue-on.

Chad, my cousin, spotted this buck bedded in a cornfield. He snuck up to 15 yards and as he was wondering how long it would take the deer to stand up, a small buck came cruising by. The big buck stood up to chase him off, and Chad shot him at only 5 yards on the ground. The buck ran 40 yards.

Chad's arrow hit the far leg bone. The broadhead put a hole in the bone and a long vertical split above and below the hole.

Chad brought my brother's girlfriend, Ashley out a few days later. Ashley filled her tag in the first 30 minutes. This was her first big game kill. She made a great 25 yard shot, and the doe only went 20 yards before dying. Ashley's hunting work ethic would rival most guys I know. She worked HARD this elk season. She got a few shots but the buck fever got the best of her on elk.

>>---> TC
Rocky Mountain Specialt

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: November 19, 2014, 04:05:00 PM »
Great season!  I have a couple friends who have these heads, and to quote "these are the real deal!" Looking forward to seeing them first hand myself.
" Just concentrate and don't freak out next time" my son Tyler(age 7) giving advise after watching me miss a big mulie.

Offline drewsbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: November 19, 2014, 06:02:00 PM »
come on right bevel 250 screw in    :pray:
Try to be the person your dog thinks you are :0)
TGMM Family of the Bow
N.Y. Bowhunters member
BigJim 3 pc buffalo 48@28
BigJim thunderchild 55@31
BigJim thunderchild 55@32 Jim's bow

Offline highPlains

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: November 19, 2014, 07:26:00 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by drewsbow:
come on right bevel 250 screw in     :thumbsup:
>>---> TC
Rocky Mountain Specialt

Offline J-dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: November 19, 2014, 07:54:00 PM »
Great looking head, way overkill for my little WTs but I got to have some. Along with 3blades I like that style of single bevel. Like to see a screw in so gonna hang tight till after the holidays.
Always be stubborn.

Captain hindsight to the rescue!

Offline J-dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: November 19, 2014, 07:55:00 PM »
Cool pics to BTW!   :D
Always be stubborn.

Captain hindsight to the rescue!

Offline FerretWYO

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: November 19, 2014, 09:34:00 PM »
Love the pics.
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline Shane H

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: November 19, 2014, 09:40:00 PM »
I agree on the 3 to 1 ratio, I just used the glue on and a titanium adapter from abowyer and ended up with 190 grn. screw in

Offline Shane H

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: November 19, 2014, 09:41:00 PM »
Well done guys, great head!

Offline meathead

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: November 20, 2014, 01:20:00 AM »
Looks like some good eating test subjects. I have some on order. Looking forward to giving them a try.

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: November 20, 2014, 08:49:00 AM »
wow that is some great hunting going there. Super super bucks and off the ground to boot@@@!!!
Make a life, not a living

Online Iowabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: November 20, 2014, 10:45:00 AM »
Looks like a great option for the sb deal. Single machined piece is ideal, that's why I love my VPA's.

Shot the 2 blade VPA for a while, but will definitely be ordering a pack or two when my new bow comes in!
Associate PBS member NRA member DU and Pheasants Forever

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©