3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Single bevel bloodtrails  (Read 1015 times)

Offline barewithme

• Trad Bowhunter
Single bevel bloodtrails
« on: October 29, 2014, 11:14:00 AM »
I know any broadhead will kill in the right spot but im looking towards single bevel for bone penetration, but penetration won't matter if you can't trail it so if you could post pictures of single bevel bloodtrails/entry wounds vs a double bevel

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Single bevel bloodtrails
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2014, 11:35:00 AM »
I haven't seen any difference in blood trails over other 2 blades.Are you saying that if the blood trail isn't better than a standard two blade that penetration won't matter?

Offline barewithme

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2014, 11:45:00 AM »
I guess the main question is if the single bevel opens a bigger hole for blood flow

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2014, 12:36:00 PM »
What a single bevel does do when going through something is it continues to spin in the direction of the fletchings are spinning the shaft in flight creating an "S" cut. Considering you are shooting right helical fletches and right bevel single bevel head.

My targets confirm this as I pull my single bevel head from the target it spins as it comes out back through the channel it made on the way through. I haven't tested a single bevel vs. a double but I would assuming since the shaft continues to spin inside a critter and not just stopped from spinning like a double bevel does this would aid in deeper penetration a little.

www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline recurve3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2014, 01:44:00 PM »
I my experience the S-shape opening does improve the blood trail as the twisting action tends to open a larger entry/exit hole and the spinning action through the body cavity does help in splitting bone if encountered.
Tom

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2014, 01:53:00 PM »
With any head the blood that comes out depends on the wound location mostly. Two blade wounds can bleed alot (see link). I have come to the conclusion from all the critters Ive shot with various heads that:

http://tradgang.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=132440#000000

Over 55 lb bow multi blade heads are ok to shoot
Under 55 lb bow go with two blade for more penetration.

This is just my opinion and we all have one so please don't take this as gospel.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline stack

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2014, 01:54:00 PM »
If using a single bevel cutting head do you need to have helical fletching or can you use straight fletch?

Offline Charlie3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2014, 01:59:00 PM »
You will get strong opinions both ways on this one. Blood trail quality has much more to do with shot placement than broadhead used. If you blow a spoon through a deer's heart and leave 2 holes it'll spray blood everywhere. If you shoot a huge broadhead of any design high through the lungs the trail won't be as good.

I'm a firm believer in an exit wound being more important than what the wound channel looks like, so for this reason I think you are on the right track with a single bevel 2 blade.

Offline saltwatertom

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2014, 02:13:00 PM »
The last pig I shot was at a run and only traveled about 50 feet after being shot with a single bevel through the neck. I hit the jugular, I guess that helps a little ;-).

I like them :-)
"There is always luck about, for those willing to look for it"

Online Kris

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2014, 02:36:00 PM »
Stack,

You do not need a helical clamp to induce arrow rotation.

You can off-set a straight clamp slightly either right or left to induce spin to match the bevel cut of your broadheads.  Right off-set should incorporate RW fletches though and left off-set accordingly.  

Even fletching straight is better than using the opposite spin of fletching in relationship to your bevel cut.  Dr. Ashby says that straight fletch will spin as induced by the bevel of the BH.

Bottom line is match your fletch spin to your BH bevel for optimal performance; i.e. LW fletch w/left bevel, RW fletch w/right bevel.

Kris

Offline Overspined

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2014, 03:11:00 PM »
I've posted this before, but here's one I actually took a pic of.  I've had some difficult to follow because was more like a sprinkler. Single bevel kodiak

Offline typical2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2014, 03:20:00 PM »
Matt,

That's a crazy bloodtrail!  You showed me that last year but that still amazes me!

Eric

Offline Jack Skinner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2014, 03:54:00 PM »

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2014, 07:24:00 PM »
Overspined that blood trail is amazing-need waders!

What I like about single bevels is they have a lower angle and can be made sharper. Isn't the spinning in the animal marketed more to break bones? Anyway it might create a bigger mess too which is always good.
At the end of the day I can't say my blood trails have been any different-that would be a difficult thing to test objectively . I think it depends more on what the BH encountered in it's travel through the body which translates to shot placement.   :archer2:

Offline newhouse114

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2014, 07:30:00 PM »
It might only be coincidense, but I have had much better blood trails from my single bevel heads.

Offline Roger Norris

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2014, 10:45:00 PM »
I have killed deer with single bevels, double bevels, and 3 bladed heads. I honestly can't tell the difference. Some blood trails are awesome, some marginal. The biggest factor in my opinion is how much fat/tallow is lying under the hide. I shot a doe once up at Shrewhaven who had been feeding on acorns all fall....very fat. Double lung, perfect shot. She hardly bled until it started coming out of her nose. Autopsy showed that she had about 2 inches of tallow that closed up like ethafoam.
"Good Lord....well, your new name is Sledge."
Ron LaClair upon seeing the destruction of his new lock on the east gate

"A man that cheats in the woods will cheat anywhere"
G. Fred Asbell

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2014, 06:29:00 AM »
Originally posted by Roger Norris:
I have killed deer with single bevels, double bevels, and 3 bladed heads. I honestly can't tell the difference. Some blood trails are awesome, some marginal. The biggest factor in my opinion is how much fat/tallow is lying under the hide. I shot a doe once up at Shrewhaven who had been feeding on acorns all fall....very fat. Double lung, perfect shot. She hardly bled until it started coming out of her nose. Autopsy showed that she had about 2 inches of tallow that closed up like ethafoam.
That's how my doe I shot two years ago was, snow on the ground and I had to watch close for blood and I had a high entrance with low exit shot, four blade Magnus and still little blood on the ground.
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.
Various bows, but if you see me shooting, it's probably a Toelke in my hand!

Offline beaunaro

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2014, 10:57:00 PM »
I shot a nice buck in 2012 with a three blade Woodsman...high in the lungs from a ground blind.
Complete pass thru.

Never bled a drop til 1/4 mile later.
We never found the arrow.

We tracked him by footprints till he got past the grass and leaves in the woods and into the plowed field where he was still going wide open.

Man, what a relief when we were finally found him.

He was full of blood internally.

Must have sealed up from the tallow like Roger said.

All that being said....I am now shooting single bevel 2 blade Grizzlys.

I believe in them or the Tuffheads.
Irv Eichorst

Offline james hoffman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2014, 08:19:00 PM »
I've shot a bear several turkeys and deer,while thebloodtrails have been about the same on the ground,they have been substantially shorter than standard two blades.
jim hoffman

Online Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2014, 08:58:00 PM »
I've killed a few deer with single bevel heads.  Can't say they left better trails than double bevel two blade heads I've used.  Shot placement is the key more than single or double bevel, I believe.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©