3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: string vs string  (Read 317 times)

Offline Jim Maes

• Trad Bowhunter
string vs string
« on: October 30, 2014, 12:00:00 PM »
I understand that different materials will make a difference in performance but unsure of how one string builders string is better than the next.  I've always ordered my strings from 3Rivers or Mike Palmer.  I see a lot of guys talking about different strings and how good they are.  Just curious in the differences.  Thanks

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: string vs string
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2014, 04:01:00 PM »
Welcome to trad gang Jim, you came to the right place. Bowstrings are important over the years I have bought lots of strings from many sources and made a few of my own too, and there are lots of differences IMO. Outdated materials choices, servings don't last and become unraveled splices fray even if waxed, fat and ugly etc. I would only buy from a TG sponsor: Chad at Champion bowstrings is one, Pierre at SBD is another, and I'm sure there are others but those are my picks.

Offline beaunaro

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2014, 10:20:00 PM »
I've had very good quality and very fast service from Allan Schafer, Lefties R Us.

They are a sponsor here as well.
Irv Eichorst

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2014, 06:53:00 AM »
Bjorn nailed it.  Making a great string that will last and be quiet takes attention to detail/ precision.  Any of the sponsors here will do you right- LRU, SBD, Champion.

Allen at LRU happens to be my go-to guy.  He delivers fast and the strings are perfect.  He has impressed me multiple times with his ability to nail custom requests on strings for certain bows with specs outside the norm.  LRU strings:  always a good decision.
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline warbird

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2014, 07:18:00 AM »
The Great String Debate! There are so many string materials available. Each has its benefits depending on what aspects your looking for in terms performance and needs. Whichever you decide it will only reach its true potential through propper tuning. They make so many different blends I find it hard to beleive one could be put on a pedestal above all others. One mans junk is anothers treasure.
A man has to have a code, a way of life to live by.
John Wayne

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2014, 08:35:00 AM »
With string materials, there's opinion and there's fact.  Opinions vary of course, but you can get the facts about one material vs. another to help you decide.  For me, you can only make the best string if you use the best (strongest, most durable, least stretch, quietest) material.

How the string is made can make as much or more difference than the material.

Proper strand count, proper length, back-twist, pre-stretch, loop size, even bundle tension, tight twist in the loop, no slack when the ends come back into the string to form the loop, etc.

It all adds up to make a difference in noise, durability, and to a lesser degree performance.

Chad

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2014, 08:42:00 AM »
My stringmaker even braids the loops...I would post a picture but photobucket does not like me these days...braiding the loops not only makes it look great it also takes care of any little bit of creep in material like 8125g or BCY-X...ask 3rivers sometime if they supply strings of those materials with braided loops

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline Jim Maes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2014, 02:25:00 PM »
Thanks guys

Offline SteveB

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2014, 07:36:00 AM »
Originally posted by damascusdave:
My stringmaker even braids the loops...I would post a picture but photobucket does not like me these days...braiding the loops not only makes it look great it also takes care of any little bit of creep in material like 8125g or BCY-X...ask 3rivers sometime if they supply strings of those materials with braided loops

DDave
Aren't all flemish strings braided?

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2014, 10:24:00 AM »
Flemish is twisted.  Never saw braided loops--that would be interesting.

Offline bigbadjon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2014, 11:09:00 AM »
I've seen guys shooting braided endless strings but I have no idea how they made them.
Hoyt Tiburon 55#@28 64in
A&H ACS CX 61#@28in 68in (rip 8/3/14)

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©