3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: accuracy question.. honesty please  (Read 1412 times)

Re: accuracy question.. honesty please
« Reply #60 on: November 02, 2014, 09:46:00 AM »
The same holds true for being a successful 3D shooter.

For an example, if you were to encounter this scenario on a 3D course, what would you shoot for?  If you are looking for hunting practice, the white dot would be the "spot."  On the other hand, if you were looking for the best score, the black dot would be the "spot."  The black spot would be a 10 or 11 and the white spot could very well be a 5.

This is why some guys (like me) have a hard time shooting really well on a 3D course.  I tend to shoot the animal exactly where I would shoot if I were hunting.  That is not always conducive to shooting the highest score.

A friend of mine (who is great on 3D) once told me that if I wanted to score well on a 3D course, I needed to learn to shoot the targets where   they  want me to hit them, not where   I  want to hit them.

Offline overbo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #61 on: November 02, 2014, 10:04:00 AM »
I don't think Medic started this thread to get a arrow placement lesson. I believe it's about preparing oneself for that moment before the bow is drawn. So much of this is between the ears when it comes to shooting at live game. For me, squirrel hunting has been a huge confidence builder and a step into hunting that's been lost.

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #62 on: November 02, 2014, 10:09:00 AM »
In my fairly long bowhunting career (1967) I always shot so the arrow passed through the center of the biggest vital area which is the lung area. So I would have aimed at Tooner's buck above about 4-5" higher than the white dot but right in line with it. I never purposely aimed low or real forward.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

« Reply #63 on: November 02, 2014, 11:34:00 AM »
I'm sorry if I offended you overbo, but I was trying to help, based on some of the things medic was saying.

Originally posted by medic77:
The only thing I can think of on the arrow placement is I hit below the lungs/liver.  I stayed off the shoulder 3-4 inches (which has been a nemesis) and aimed lower third because I have had issues with deer jumping the string. The arrow was a pass thru but not complete.
Anatomically speaking, you simply cannot be 3 or 4 inches off the shoulder, and be below the lungs and liver.   You   can  be below the lungs and liver be shooting 3 or 4 inches "off the shoulder" if you are mistaken where the shoulder actually is.  If you think the shoulder is directly above the elbow, which many people do, and you are 3 or 4 inches off that, you are in a very ugly spot, making for a very long, and often unsuccessful tracking job.

That's all I was trying to say.

Offline overbo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #64 on: November 02, 2014, 04:15:00 PM »
Tooner, not offended at all.

I read Medics original post as a search for a tool to better his shooting at live game. Then many post a lengthy shot placement response. Don't know Medic personally, but from his post he seems like he understands shot placement(I hope).

Offline medic77

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #65 on: November 02, 2014, 05:14:00 PM »
I understand shot placement but a review for me is never going to hurt for myself or anyone.  Thank you for the photos.  It all comes down to my delusional, partially clouded view of the shot that I made i guess.  In still sticking with the shot looked good but the proof is in the pudding.
I do shoot at a 3d deer target for the entire year but it doesn't look at me and make me a slobbering shaky mess
You're Off to Great PLACES!
      Today is YOUR day!
You're MOUNTAIN is Waiting.
  So....Get on Your WAY!  - Dr. Seuss

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #66 on: November 02, 2014, 06:13:00 PM »
Tooner, most people call the deer's elbow the shoulder.  That's what they were taught.  At least, every single class of hunter ed I taught suggested that.  

Knowing anatomy is not an ingrained thing and folks shouldn't get upset or feel slighted when it is pointed out.  

Medic stated he hit right where he looked.  I suggest if he DID, and the deer still got away, then it is somewhat likely that maybe, just maybe, he was looking in the wrong place.  The above posts very nicely added information to everybody's knowledge banks.

This is important stuff folks !
ChuckC

Offline medic77

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #67 on: November 02, 2014, 08:27:00 PM »
Very important, especially for everyone's sleep and sanity.  Both of which I have been short of lately since the "incident"
You're Off to Great PLACES!
      Today is YOUR day!
You're MOUNTAIN is Waiting.
  So....Get on Your WAY!  - Dr. Seuss

Offline Hud

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • 360-921-5779
« Reply #68 on: November 03, 2014, 12:54:00 PM »
I believe, your hit was good with an entry and exit wound. Blood for over 200 yds, should meant a dead deer. Unless the deer entered water, or doubled back.  Waiting as long as you did, I am as anxious as everyone to know what happened to that deer. I'm guessing, but I think it died within a 100 ft. of where you ended the search. Possibly doubled back and was off the side of the trail. Unless someone found it, or something dragged it off.

Did you go back and retrace the steps, within a few days? May have missed your follow up.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline limbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #69 on: November 03, 2014, 01:37:00 PM »
Fisher Cat nailed it, for me at least. Well put Sir.
Kevin Osworth
->>>--TGMM Family of the Bow-->

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©