3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Selecting my first bow?  (Read 217 times)

Offline Expired

• Trad Bowhunter
Selecting my first bow?
« on: October 31, 2014, 05:42:00 PM »
I'm looking at getting my first bow and I was hoping y'all could steer me in the right direction.
I played around with a bow when I was a kid and now I'm wanting to get back into archery.
The plan is to start off practicing in our pasture and maybe at the local 3D range, then hopefully moving into competitions, big game hunting, bowfishing, and bird hunting with flu-flus.

Right now I'm thinking about a hybrid longbow, something similar to the Omega Imperial that holds a D-shape so that I can use it legally in the most competitions possible. I want to shoot straight off the shelf using wooden arrows with feather fletching.

Some typical characteristics people look for I guess...
Under $1,000 (I'm guessing anything over that just uses exotic woods?)
Smooth draw with little to no stacking.
Quiet with little to no vibration on release.
Accurate off the shelf shooting (Crowned/radius shelf cut close to center?).
Capable of using fast flight strings.
Durable, light, and weather resistant.
Simple, clean design that's aesthetically pleasing (trying to avoid the fat/bulky riser and grip area).

So I guess I'm just wondering what my options are?
Hopefully there are a few bows out there to choose from!
Any help is much appreciated.

Online Bow man

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Selecting my first bow?
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2014, 06:02:00 PM »
You have a good knowledge of what you are looking for. I would suggest going to an event and shooting some, you will know the right bow when you find it. Another possibility for you is set up test drives with all the bowyers you are considering so you are sure of the right fit
Compton Life Member
PBS QRM

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2014, 07:16:00 PM »
What Bow Man said..

Finding a true hybrid with radical reflex/deflex in the limbs that will maintain a true D is limited.  Currently the Fox Triple Crown and the 21st Century bows meet that most exactly.  Otherwise if a good standard or mild r/d bow will be ok you have a lot more choices.

Going foremost by your requirement that the bow maintain a true D, I can list a couple that meet your requirements pretty well:

Wes Wallace Royal
Toelke Super D (possibly a Whip)
Leon Stewart R/D longbow
21st Century Edge or Lonestar
Mohawk longbow
Wild Horse Creek Condor
Trinity Elite or Black Moose (possibly Rogue)

Those are just a few.  You have a number of choices.

If you didn't mind a heavier riser I would have unequivocally said Fox Archery Triple Crown.

Really based on your budget, true D requirement and general aesthetic, and wanting something with a lot of r/d / hybrid the 21st Century bows are closest to what you seem to be looking for.  Reviews are highly favorable for their shootability, they are loved by tournament shooters.  The current craftsmanship is functional and solid, but not what I would call 'artful', but with your budget it would be a very effective choice.

Do your homework, go to some shoots, shoot some bows and enjoy coming to the sport.  It is flat out addicting and a way of life!
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline Diamond Paul

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2014, 07:34:00 PM »
I second the Fox Triple Crown.  That is one nice bow.  I don't like longbows, other than to see good shooters shoot them, but I'd have that one.  Actually, I love longbows, I just never shot them well, so I don't.  If you have never owned one before, you really need to shoot some.  Bows are very, very personal, and although all those bows mentioned above are first-class, you are sure not to get along with at least a few of them.  There are tons of great bows out there, but the fact that others like them doesn't mean you will.  The Fox is very nice, though.
“Sometimes the shark go away, sometimes he wouldn’t go away.” Quint, from Jaws

Offline Tradcat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2014, 09:55:00 PM »
Take a serious look at Maddog Archery. Mike Mecredy is a great guy and will treat you right. Custom made bows at very inexpensive prices... I just ordered a 60" prairie predator longbow for under $300. Check out his website at the bottom and also the youtube video review of this bow...
                                  Tradcat

http://www.maddogarchery.com/

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©