3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Sharper Broadheads with KME  (Read 463 times)

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
Sharper Broadheads with KME
« on: October 31, 2014, 06:11:00 PM »
I used to think I was terrible at sharpening broad heads, but come to find out this fall it wasn't me it was my equipment. I was using a large file and regular stones. I ordered a set of KME's gold series diamond stones and now I can get my heads super sharp. Unbelievable difference. If you are using regular stones and knowing your heads aren't as sharp as they could be, take my word for it and get some of these and give them a try. You will be amazed.

I hope this helps someone. You can find them here.

http://kmesharp.com/kmegosediho.html  

Thanks Ron!

www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline rooster77

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Sharper Broadheads with KME
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2014, 06:53:00 PM »
x2
All America lies at the end of the wilderness road, and our past is not a dead past, but still lives in us.  "Lonesome Dove"

Online elkken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2014, 08:13:00 PM »
Is that stand a KME product ?
Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2014, 08:36:00 PM »
Yes Ken it is.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline Kopper1013

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2014, 09:00:00 PM »
Have that setup and love it!!
Primitive archery gives yourself the maximum challenge while giving the animal the maximum chance to escape- G. Fred Asbell

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2014, 09:25:00 PM »
KME and Ron are the schnizz!!!

My KME gets my broadheads realllllly sharp!

Bisch

Online elkken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2014, 11:12:00 PM »
Thanks TJ ... looks very interesting, I definitely need some type of guide to help me get BH's sharp. I have purchased some KME sharpened heads in the St Judes auction and they where definitely sharp !!
Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline BradLantz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2014, 11:19:00 PM »
funny this thread today ..

I have the KME sharpener, and was honing my 170 Zwickey Delta's

I noticed ... when I oiled the stones, the broadhead wasn't cleanly removing the oil ... meaning I could see "skips" where it was like the head wasn't touching the stone.

I believe the edge is set - I believe the stone isn't 100% flat

popping hair sharp ... but they could be better with these diamond stones ya'll reckon ?

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2014, 11:35:00 PM »
Brad,
It's more than likely the head isn't flat...they grind those on a round wheel...and if that factory grinding wheel is not dressed frequently it creates a recurring wave in the blades.

Many heads show it, I especially noticed it on the old Snuffers in the past.

Try a black magic marker on your edge, then run a file over it lightly- see if there aren't spots that are high and low.
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2014, 02:29:00 PM »
My original KME stones are about worn out. I was just looking at that set of diamonds the other day and was wondering about it. Think you just sold me.

Offline Lin Rhea

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2014, 02:54:00 PM »
I agree with Ray. The stones are flat unless they get worn out. Ron's diamond stones will be slightly more aggressive than the natural stones.  

What I like to do is to get the primary edge bevel flat and achieve a burr, then increase the angle by a degree + or - and finish it off with a finer grit with a few light strokes.
"We dont rent pigs." Augustus McCrae
ABS Master Bladesmith
TGMM Family of the Bow
Dwyer Dauntless longbow 50 @ 28
Ben Pearson recurve 50 @ 28
Tall Tines Recurve 47@28
McCullough Griffin longbow 43@28

Offline BradLantz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2014, 01:35:00 AM »
I used the sharpie and got the edge right I believe - these are older stones, its not a great difference but its enough ... and I get a pretty sharp head

I like sharper  :)

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2014, 08:19:00 AM »
Ray is right, The grind from the shop is not always perfect and they can even vary from side to side on the same head. Thats what makes the KME invaluable. I always do this process every time I sharpen as the angles are different. These diamond stones make quick work of it also even on a brand new head it now takes me very few swipes. Like Lynn I always increase the angle just a bit on the final 1500 grit stone and very lightly hit just the cutting edge.

KME not set high enough.

Just right

I also got Ron's Emulsion and a leather strop to finish each edge and it makes them polished smooth in no time. I can't tell you how pleased I am with these products and now can easily get my heads like they should be.

http://kmesharp.com/cbnemulsions.html
www.zipperbows.com

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2014, 08:34:00 AM »
The set of diamond stones comes with 100, 300, 600 and 1500 grit. I seldom start with the 100 grit unless I completely need to change the angle of the entire grind angle.
www.zipperbows.com

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2014, 09:34:00 AM »
Thanks for the information Tom.

Offline BradLantz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2014, 10:24:00 AM »
I'll sharpie and look again ... but I set the edge on all my Delta's and they originally had the gaps showing in consistent edging. I got through that, using the KME and my heads shave some .... but they don't have that scary "bite" to them that some heads can have. You know... when you go to shave arm hair and the heads wants to bite into your flesh and cut you vs popping hairs ?

that's the scary sharp I'm unable to attain ... and I strop using an old leather belt as well

I'm not unhappy with the sharpness ... but they could be sharper still

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2014, 11:26:00 AM »
Brad,

Are you using these diamond stones? Had a lot to do with the metal in the head also?
www.zipperbows.com

Offline LC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2014, 08:33:00 PM »
Consistent angle is the key! Yes factory sharping leaves a lot to be desired as the pics prove! I'm still using a old Lansky that is about wore out. When it's time to replace, and soon, it will be replace with a KME!
I stay with a coarse diamond stone presently now and just end up with very very light strokes when removing the burr. It in a microscopic way leaves a scary sharp serrated edge that has worked well for me for many years now. I sharpen from tip to back as a broadhead cuts on going in rather than a knife on the pull stroke. Just be careful not to use to much force with diamond stones. Just let them do their job and that's it. KME is on my Christmas wish list for sure.
Most people get rich by making more money than they have needs, me, I just reduced my needs!

Offline BradLantz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2014, 07:53:00 AM »
I am not using diamond stones - I have no idea where I got the stones I have, the double sided ones (course and fine) grit seems to be good. By that, I mean as I roll the KME, the film of oil on the stone I applied is evenly "removed" as the head goes across the stone.

But my smooth stone ... there are "gaps" ... streaks, like the head isn't sitting evenly on the stone.

If diamond stones are all that, if diamond stones would take my sharpening to the next level and my heads from popping hair to scalpel sharp .... I'd buy them

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2014, 08:32:00 AM »
I promise you they will. Amazing results and much faster.
www.zipperbows.com

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©