3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Respect for the Shaft  (Read 580 times)

Offline LongStick64

• Trad Bowhunter
Respect for the Shaft
« on: November 01, 2014, 08:55:00 AM »
I am always amused as to when someone harvests an animal, you always here "Bow Brand" Gets it Done...Isn't the arrow doing the most important job.
Primitive Bowhunting.....the experience of a lifetime

Offline stykbow67

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Respect for the Shaft
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2014, 08:59:00 AM »
Without the bow the arrow wouldn't get there  ;)  

Steve

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2014, 09:00:00 AM »
The arrow is what gets the job done. The bow is just the delivery method. An arrow can kill without the bow but without an arrow the bow is just a stick and string, no matter how pretty it is.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Fallguy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2014, 09:19:00 AM »
The broadhead gets it done the rest are components in the delivery system. The shaft and broadhead combination need to be as close to perfect as possible. Any bow can shoot a perfect arrow well, but no bow can shoot a bent arrow well.
"In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. We will understand only what we are taught" Baba Dioum  Conservationist

Offline Jake Scott

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2014, 09:28:00 AM »
I am reminded of something I read on this forum when I was very new here.

"Bows don't kill game, broadheads and arrows kill game."

Having said that, a perfectly tuned arrow and perfectly sharp head cannot get to an animal without the bow, and a bow alone is incapable of killing anything.  They are all three important to the process.

Jake
FORM FORM FORM FORM

TGMM family of the bow
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
PBS Associate Member

Offline LongStick64

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2014, 09:48:00 AM »
I realize the bow and arrow are married together, but when someone takes an animal they hardly boast about their arrow. I guess it's not glamorous enough. It's more significant to show off the bow I guess.
Primitive Bowhunting.....the experience of a lifetime

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2014, 10:00:00 AM »
It is an integrated system, and all parts are crucial to get the job done. Focusing on one component of that system is a bit silly, especially when it seems to be just for sake of argument.  It is the balanced combination of equipment delivered in an effective manner that takes a game animal, and there are many combinations that will work just fine.
Sam

Offline bigbadjon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2014, 10:14:00 AM »
I agree that there is a lack of respect for the arrow. How many archery spend $1000 or more on a bow and run out and buy the cheapest arrows they can. I see a lot of guys shooting GT Expedition Hunters for example. They argue a .006 arrow is good enough not realizing the is a plus or minus measurement meaning there could be .012 variance between shafts. People also index their nocks for clearence thinking these shafts are the same stiffness all the way around. How many archers actually own a spine tester? The variance from a quarter turn of the nock could be detrimental to accuracy. While the bow and arrow are married together the arrow is the most crucial part of the makeup without question.
Hoyt Tiburon 55#@28 64in
A&H ACS CX 61#@28in 68in (rip 8/3/14)

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2014, 10:26:00 AM »
I am pretty certain I could beat a deer to death with any one of my bows or garrote it with the string LOL.  Or better yet, use the string as a snare to trap it, then beat it to death...

Just sayin    :D  

I do agree that the arrow is crucial and that is why I like a durable arrow and a tough sharp broadhead that flies well.  

Is the atlatl more important than the spear that throws it?  

What about the person pulling the string?  The archer should be most praised for a clean kill.  

So many questions and ideas.

All I can say is that thankfully my mouth was not full of coffee when I read the title "Respect for the Shaft"    :D    LMAO

:laughing:
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline Big Ed

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2014, 10:36:00 AM »
I love my Easton Axis Trads. That's all I shoot. I respect them for they have fed my family many times.
Ed
"Get kids involved in the outdoors"

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2014, 10:37:00 AM »
When folks show of their bows they show the handle, maybe the tip overlays, the beautiful wood and woodworking shills but never the actual working portions of the bow or the design that makes the bow what it is. I guess looks are the most important part.    :rolleyes:
TGMM Family of the Bow

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2014, 10:39:00 AM »
...and I've made snaky arrows that shoot as well as a straight one. Bernie Dunn has one of them.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2014, 10:46:00 AM »
It's a trinity. All must do their part.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline bigbadjon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2014, 10:58:00 AM »
A snakey arrow is straight if the point and nock spin true together. Spine matching is the most important and under utilized measurement. People shoot their arrows with broadheads to eliminate flyers but don't undertand why it does it. A flyer is an arrow whose spine doesn't match the others.
Hoyt Tiburon 55#@28 64in

Offline bigbadjon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2014, 11:01:00 AM »
All I'm trying to say is people spend a disproportionate amount of time and money on broadheads and bows while scrimping on the component that will pay the hugest dividends.
Hoyt Tiburon 55#@28 64in

Offline WESTBROOK

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2014, 11:56:00 AM »
When it comes to the arrow...nothin' but the best for me...Gen U wine wood!   :D

Online M60gunner

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2014, 12:10:00 PM »
I have to agree with BIgbadjohn with what he says about really knowing the arrow. To many people think that because the shaft is man made on a machine it is perfect. Maybe Easton Alum. But not carbons. Even Easton carbons vary some.
Maybe from a tree stand at less than 20yards it is not as noticeable but a poorly tuned arrow might be that difference between a quick kill or a long blood trail or worst. Just saying, your experience may vary.

Online snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2014, 12:51:00 PM »
Originally posted by Pat B:
The arrow is what gets the job done. The bow is just the delivery method. An arrow can kill without the bow but without an arrow the bow is just a stick and string, no matter how pretty it is.
Amen. The arrow is the most important part of the equation. You can take a less than great bow out to hunt with. But unless the arrow is matched in spine, length, point weight, etc. for the bow it is not going to work optimally. But a finely crafted arrow matched to that bow and you can hit the mark with it.
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Offline Sirius Black

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2014, 10:07:00 AM »
I agree that the arrow is more important than the bow. So does Byron Ferguson in 'Become the arrow'.
Wisconsin Bowhunters Association - Life Member

Offline JamesV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2014, 10:29:00 AM »
Jon.............

I guess that is me. I buy the cheapest shafts or make my wood arrows from dowels. My bow loves them and if I have one or two that don't fly good I give them to the kids to destroy. I also build all my bows so I am cheap there too. I do buy the best boots,

James
Proud supporter of Catch a Dream Foundation
-----------------------------------
When you are having a bad day always remember: Everyone suffers at their own level.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©