3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Making the change  (Read 628 times)

Offline DDawg

• Trad Bowhunter
Making the change
« on: November 01, 2014, 11:08:00 AM »
Ok, I've been a compund guy for several years and now I'm ready for a tougher challenge.
I've got a loaner 60" 49# Browning Nomad II, that will get me by till i decide on what I want.
I'm trying to decide on the best bow for 'Me'.
I know i will prolly own several bows over my lifetime, but for the most part I am a one bow kinda guy. The bow will be a Recurve Hunting bow for tree stand and spot and stalk hunting in North Georgia, with possibly some pop up blinds for Turkey.
I thought i would start with a vintage bear off ****, and i picked up a 56" 45# grizzly. But unfortunately it has a very small crack in the lamination and is wall art.  Lesson learned, time to move on.
I know I'm gonna stay in the 45# range Recurve, and have some wooden arrows spine'd for that weight and my draw length. I also want a 'traditional' looking bow. Is it ok to start with a shorter bow? Under 60"? Is there anything else i need to consider?
Unfortunately i dont have anywhere i can go and look at bows, other than cabelas or bass pro.
I was gonna just pick up a new Bear Super Grizzly 58" from ThreeRivers but thought I would post here for Ideas before I bought anything.
My price range is anything from $400 to $ 1,100 (+\\-)

Thanks
David
Chuck Norris had a Grizzly Bear rug in his room...The Bear wasn't dead,  just to afraid to move...
PBS Associate Member
60" , 45# Holm-Made River Runner

Offline PaulDeadringer29

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Making the change
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2014, 11:20:00 AM »
That crack in the Bear may not be as bad as you think. Post a pic of it if you can....and yes, it's ok to shoot under 60". My draw is a little over 28.5" and my main hunting bow is a 56" recurve. Although you may find shooting a longer bow may be a little easier at first.

Offline kadbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2014, 11:26:00 AM »
I would shoot that loaner for awhile to work on basic form and see how the weight works for you.  Where is the crack in your grizzly, it may be fine to shoot depending on where it is. Post a pic if you can. Most old Bears have cracks/stress lines in the limbs and are still very shoot able. Once you get to buying your bow, the classifieds on this site are a great way to try different bows.  Buy a nice used one and if it doesn't work for you, you can usually sell it for what you paid and tried something else.
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
Colorado Bowhunters Association
Grand Mesa Bowmen
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline dbd870

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2014, 11:58:00 AM »
I switched from a compound (drawing 59#) a year ago. I'm drawing 28.5" and started out with an early 70's 45# Grizzly, I handled it just fine. Also have a 73ish 45# Kodiak Magnum. I would say I shoot the Grizzly just a hair better but there isn't that much in it. The KMag is a bit handier, but I have found either is good out of one of my ladder stands and once I adjusted my seat on the Viper so it was almost all the way level with the frame the Grizzly worked fine out of it as well. (tip I got on here) Haven't tried it out of a man made blind (my turkey blinds are gun only (not even a compound would work). Sitting is no problem with either. I've had 2 deer now that I could have shot with a compound that were no shoots with the recurve and it hasn't bothered me one bit.Going traditional has been very enjoyable. Like the others have said the vertical stress cracks are not necessarily a problem. My Grizzly has none, but the KMag has a few by the riser and they are no problem.
SWA Spyder

Offline DDawg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2014, 12:16:00 PM »
I'm not sure how to post pics yet on this forum, but I did post pics on the Georgia Outdoor News Traditional Archery forum. All who commented said it was a concern, and the last guy who posted posted this:
"  I have Been Building bows for a lot of years and I have seen it all.
The bow in that pitcher can not be repaired Its a wall hanger."

I'll try to post pics, but i didn't spend a fortune (but It still sets me back on buying a new bow) and it's not worth getting injured over.
Thanks
Chuck Norris had a Grizzly Bear rug in his room...The Bear wasn't dead,  just to afraid to move...
PBS Associate Member

Offline DDawg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2014, 12:34:00 PM »

See if this works
PBS Associate Member

Offline kadbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2014, 12:51:00 PM »
That doesn't look good.
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
Colorado Bowhunters Association
Grand Mesa Bowmen
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline PaulDeadringer29

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2014, 01:29:00 PM »
Oh yea, I wouldn't shoot that either.

Offline dbd870

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2014, 01:46:00 PM »
Yep; that's no stress crack - too bad. It's done.
SWA Spyder

Offline Flying Dutchman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2014, 02:13:00 PM »
That crack is a no-brainer. Dont't shoot it any more....
As for short bows, take a look at Timberghost bows.
But RER makes darned fine bows too!
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that string! [/i]                            :rolleyes:              
Cari-bow Peregrine
Whippenstick Phoenix
Timberghost ordered
SBD strings on all, what else?

Offline DDawg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2014, 08:46:00 PM »
Yep, I've already written this bow off as a loss.. Thx for the help. I'm Thinking about maybe a custom bow, i just cant decide if i wanna drop the cash on my first bow. I've got time to decide, I'm hoping to have something for next season.
PBS Associate Member

Online ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2014, 08:57:00 PM »
Check out Chad Holm's line of bows [Holm-Made] a sponsor on this site. Makes a great recurve, looks great and performs even better. His prices are good also.........There's a reason I have five of his bows!!   :thumbsup:
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Muttly

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2014, 08:58:00 PM »
If a 60" bow would work for, the Mad Dog Recurve has got pretty nice lines, Mike could probably work with you, build one for you for around 400 bucks..

Offline Alan Hughes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2014, 09:01:00 PM »
Hope you enjoy the switch I am considering it too!

Offline Homebru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2014, 10:36:00 PM »
Don't overlook the many excellent hybrid longbows out there.
homebru
P.S. should have opened this posting with "welcome to the 'gang"

Offline Shakes.602

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2014, 10:39:00 PM »
Looks like a Wall Hanger, Sad to say. I agree with the Longbow comment too!
"Carpe Cedar" Seize the Arrow!
"Life doesn't get Simpler; it gets Shorter and Turns in Smaller Circles." Dean Torges
"Faith is to Prayer what the Feather is to the Arrow" Thomas Morrow
"Ah Think They Should Outlaw Them Thar Crossbows" A Hunting Pal

Offline Flying Dutchman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2014, 02:19:00 AM »
Don't overlook the classifieds over here. You have to pay a small fee to access them, but lots of good bows for a very nice price!Its like a candy store for big boys!
And welcome to Tradgang indeed!
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that string! [/i]                            :rolleyes:              
Cari-bow Peregrine
Whippenstick Phoenix
Timberghost ordered
SBD strings on all, what else?

Online mgf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2014, 06:06:00 AM »
Did you mention your draw length?

I generally prefer a longer bow. My regular hunting bow is 64 inches. Most of my recurves have been 62.

But, I draw just under 28". I have an old solid glass 40# bow that measures about 48" and I shoot it just fine. I don't hunt deer with it (it's kind of slow) but it's the bow I carry in the canoe when I'm out mostly fishing/camping...a knock around bow.

I don't think I ever go all "short bow" but I'd like to try some nice bows in the sub 60" range. I could see making a place in my stable for one.

Offline pruski

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2014, 11:48:00 AM »
I have shot recurves since 94. bought and sold a ton, they were all great bows, many bought brand new 1000.00 +     If I was just starting again I would get a good used morrison, robertson, schafer, dale dye, talltines and many others in that catagory.  60"  50#   you can get a 1K bow for around 550-600 dead mint. only shot a few times...  I have never had a used bow have any problems at all.  good luck,  Steve

Offline Cavscout9753

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2014, 12:18:00 PM »
I second the idea of the classifieds here. You will make your money back on the bow plus some, and for getting other gear it will save you quite a bit in the long run. Plus (and this cant be ovet stated) problems like you experienced with the auction site are a non-issue. You're dealing with great people who know what they're talking about. Then, as you try different bows you can always sell and trade. It creates an endless circle of options that save a bunch of money. As for what bow, with a $400-$1100 budget you have so many options that you are only limited by your personnal tastes. Recurve, R/D, one piece, 2, 3 piece, custom, factory, ad nauseam. No one is going to be able to come by here and say whats best, they're ALL best! Haha. Some bows are more forgiving for some than others and vice versa. Shoot the nomad, if you really like it than just copy its specs on a bow that matches it only has the options you want (wood, 2 piece, etc.). But be warned, i highly doubt you're shopping for your 'final' bow... Just your 'next' bow. And welcome!
ΙΧΘΥΣ

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©