3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: End of another ERA  (Read 907 times)

Offline maineac

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: End of another ERA
« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2014, 09:27:00 AM »
I understand.  I avoid areas others hunt s well, though I can not say others have always had the same respect.  Maybe this will help you find even better areas.  With the increase in Lyme and other tick borne illnesses I think lots of "posted" land will start to open up to courteous and conscientious hunters.  Maybe the areas the deer get pushed out too will open up to the right person, you.
The season gave him perfect mornings, hunter's moons and fields of freedom found only by walking them with a predator's stride.
                                                              Robert Holthouser

Offline joe ashton

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2014, 09:49:00 AM »
I feel your pain.  Lost my elk woods to pine Beatles and BLM loggers.
Joe Ashton,D.C.
 pronghorn long bow  54#
 black widow long bow 55#
 21 century long bow 55#
 big horn recurve  58#

Offline JamesV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2014, 10:42:00 AM »
Our town has a number of undeveloped wooded areas where the local police officers have agreed to keep everyone run off in return for bow hunting rights. Seems like a good deal as I didn't hunt there anyway.

James
Proud supporter of Catch a Dream Foundation
-----------------------------------
When you are having a bad day always remember: Everyone suffers at their own level.

Offline mgf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2014, 11:01:00 AM »
It's been many years since I've had a decent place to hunt locally.

I used to get a little bit of deer traffic through my two acres but they've cut down everything around me so there's not much action here anymore.

The closest place I have that's worth hunting is the National Forest 3 1/2 hours away.

I couldn't get down there so far this year...maybe next year.

Online Tajue17

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: November 02, 2014, 11:16:00 AM »
oh yes the police gang take over,,, its true!   over in Hanover, Mass in Z11 a bunch of young rookie Hanover cops completly took over the old fireworks factory area that locals have been hunting since the place went abadnoned in the 70's and from what I was told threatened all the other hunters with notes on their stands.

they hung signs where the hunters park that are offical signs used during events to keep people from parking on the main roads, these signs state no parking by offical police dept order

but cars still park there all off duty cops and very close friends.

not against the police but I do know here they push people around sometimes especially the younger guys.  

Yornoc a couple years ago I told you about the spot in uxbridge where i hunted turks I hear nobodys hunting it anymore and its still tracked up pretty good down in the back at the edge of the Blackstone river.
"Us vs Them"

Offline Jason Kendall

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: November 02, 2014, 11:26:00 AM »
Our public areas are either loaded with people or we have problems with tree stand thieves. I lost all my good spots down in southern IA this year and haven't even bought a tag yet, don't know if I am going to. It may be my first missed season since I started 30 years ago. Good land is hard to come by anymore.

Offline SAM E. STEPHENS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: November 02, 2014, 11:36:00 AM »
I have felt your pain many times , now you are on new and great adventure ....

,,,,Sam,,,,
HUNT OLD SCHOOL

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: November 02, 2014, 11:50:00 AM »
Most of my hunting is done in small pockets now that most don't look at twice. Pressure is much less and I get some good daytime activity I don't see in the "big" woods. I killed two last year within minutes of each other at noon on the first Wednesday last year. There are places to hunt if you look outside the box. You just need to adapt as the deer do.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: November 02, 2014, 04:43:00 PM »
I know the feeling all to well.  The Detroit Newspaper wrote an article about the hunting opportunities on the public land I hunt (right around 800 acres).  Before the article, if I saw a 1/2 dozen hunters in a whole season, that would be a lot, and deer were everywhere.  Today alone, I saw 5 hunters, all with crossbows.  I haven't seen a deer in the past 2 seasons on this property, then to TOP THE WHOLE THING OFF, the township, the property is in, courted the film industry and they spent the last 2 weeks in September and all of October building movie sets on the property so they could film last weekend (yes, you read that right, they spent nearly 6 weeks building movie sets on the property, I hunt, just for 2 days of filming).  Crossbow hunters have ruined deer hunting I Michigan (at least in my area).

So, remember, when you go to see the movie "Batman vs. Superman", I lost my hunting property for them to make it.  I sure hope Ben Affleck appreciates it.

Rant over, now to get back at it and figure out a new strategy for the property.
Professional Bowhunters Society Regular Member

U.S. ARMY Military Police

Michigan Longbow Association Life Member/Past President

Offline LC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: November 02, 2014, 08:17:00 PM »
Yeah it's tuff! We all have been through it or will go through it! Really sad though! Hope it works out for you! Like a lot of folks have said most of my "favorite" places I use to hunt are taken over with Doctor mansions now all dressed out with cedar siding backed up to trees I use to hunt out of! I drive by and think yea but I used cedar there first! Actually I probably wasn't!  lol Sad but a way of life now.
Most people get rich by making more money than they have needs, me, I just reduced my needs!

Offline warbird

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: November 03, 2014, 05:58:00 AM »
Yornoc if its not to far away try Central Turnpike in Sutton by purgatory chasms. I have seen alot of deer there when traveling early in the morning. All that stretch from 146 down past the old bluejay restuarant. Not far from there some years back the state record buck was taken over by whittier farm.
A man has to have a code, a way of life to live by.
John Wayne

Offline Jake Scott

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: November 03, 2014, 06:13:00 AM »
I feel your pain Yornoc.  Good luck, you'll find them again.

Jake
FORM FORM FORM FORM

TGMM family of the bow
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
PBS Associate Member

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: November 03, 2014, 06:25:00 PM »
Thanks for all the support! Luck would have it, I was given written permission to solely hunt a piece of private land in RI!!!!
I didn't even go looking yet, it fell in my lap.

Big guy upstairs...thank you sir!
David M. Conroy

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: November 03, 2014, 07:22:00 PM »
My buddy says all things happen for a reason! I bet you will find a place!

30 years ago, I could hunt every farm here locally but one or two, that has reversed now, can only hunt a couple places now.
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Offline warpedarrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: November 04, 2014, 06:33:00 AM »
Where I live the population density is about four or less people per square mile.  I'm not sure about county wide, and do not care because I live where I live and what goes on in town doesn't affect my hunting.  Once upon a time, I too had to hunt public property.  It motivated me to find a better way because I did not want to have to worry about getting run over by other hunters.  I wanted to concentrate on hunting.  

Hunting leases are an option.  It is cheaper than owning and there can be some control over who hunts where.  My guess is that 95% of hunting in my area takes place on private land.  It is not cheap but it is really the only option for most hunters in our area.  Owning is the other option.  Only you know if that is a viable solution.

We are involved in a sport that is quickly becoming available only to the high income people.  It has a lot to do with when and where we were born. Too many people anymore and all of them need a place to live.  As the population grows we will continue to lose land available for hunting.
Brad Lehmann

Offline Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: November 04, 2014, 08:41:00 AM »
Often times, a treasured loss becomes a seedbed of hope and inspires a vision surpassing the reality of the previous gone by.

Let hope spurn your endeavor to secure hunting grounds which far exceed the valued enjoyment and privileges of the past.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline zwickey2bl

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: November 04, 2014, 09:57:00 AM »
I feel ya, bro. I went to hang a stand Sunday afternoon in the "little" woods near my house that I hunt (with landowner permission) when I can't get to the big woods. Came across two stands and a feeder before I got where I was going. Went home without hanging a stand. As you said, life goes on. Can't control everything, frustrating when you try.

Offline bowslinger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: November 05, 2014, 01:52:00 AM »
Sometimes it take adversity to get out of our own comfort zone. I have been through your experience before, and because of that, I had to research and travel to find alternate hunting spots.  This has lead to experiences I would not have had otherwise.  Sorry for your loss, but hope it lead to positive experiences.
Hunting is the only sport where one side doesn't know it's playing - John Madden

Offline sheepdogreno

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: November 05, 2014, 04:16:00 AM »
I had kind of the opposite happen to me...i lost the best hunting land i had to this day because im a police officer. i arrested the landowners daughter for drugs...apparently he didnt like my integrity and believed i should have cut his daughter a break becasue i know them...sorry but my integrity isnt worth my hunting spot
I'd rather be judged by 12 then carried by 6

Tradtech Titan 2 is my go to platform

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©