3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Just returned from Allendale county, SC.  (Read 174 times)

Offline Liquid Amber

• Trad Bowhunter
Just returned from Allendale county, SC.
« on: November 01, 2014, 08:58:00 PM »
I just returned from a week's bowhunt in South Carolina and here is the "good, bad and ugly."  I've hunted this same property each fall since around 1990 and have watched the changes 24 years have brought.

Good - The trapping and removal of 20 coyotes in February paid a dividend as the place was literally running over with fawns and does compared to the previous three year lows.  It will become an annual deal and looks to be the best management solution to the 50% fawn mortality contributed to coyotes by studies down in the Savannah River Plant, just up stream.  

Bad - I cannot believe the amount of trespassing occurring on this large property....bowhunters[deer/hogs], relic hunters and dog hog hunters.  Folks being dropped off on roads and picked up after dark and folks coming in off the Savannah River.  

Ugly -  The dog hog hunters realize their activities haven't gone unnoticed and took evasive matters.  According to the two Game Wardens who were on the property during our hunt, hog hunters using dogs are having their dogs' voice boxes surgically altered to reduce/eliminate barking, are attaching tracking devices on the dogs and using knives and spears to kill the hogs their dogs catch.  I cannot personally fathom the extremes some folks will go to kill a feral hog.

Offline MikeNova

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Just returned from Allendale county, SC.
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2014, 10:18:00 PM »
I live in Columbia look me up next time your around. I went on one of those knife and dog hunts before it was fun;however; it was in March and nothing was in season so we didn't bother anyone else.

Offline Hawkeye

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2014, 11:11:00 PM »
That is sad to hear, Cliff.  Sounds like Paradise lost...

This life has never been perfect, but it makes you long for the "good old days"...
Daryl Harding
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose."  Jim Elliot

Traditional bowhunting is often a game of seconds... and inches!

Offline OBXarcher

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2014, 08:45:00 AM »
The club I'm in is a dog hunting club. I joined just to have a place to hunt hogs in the summer  
Only met a couple of them. Not impressed. Pretty sure they kill more bud lite than deer from what I see in the woods.

Online MCNSC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2014, 04:43:00 PM »
I know what you mean, I found evidence last year of dog hunters coming in from the river on some property I get to hunt some. The bad thing is I spent several days hunting this area of the property near the river thinking I was getting away from any hunting pressure only to find out folks were coming in from the river with dogs and running coons or hogs.  Also another place they would turn out their dogs right on the property line.
"What was big was not the trout, but the chance. What was full was not my creel, but my memory"
 Aldo Leopold

"It hasn't worked right since I fixed it" My friend Ken talking about his lawn mower

Offline Liquid Amber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2014, 04:54:00 PM »
"I cannot personally fathom the extremes some folks will go to kill a feral hog."

I should have written "illegally kill."

Online MCNSC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2014, 05:14:00 PM »
I know what you mean, I found evidence last year of dog hunters coming in from the river on some property I get to hunt some. The bad thing is I spent several days hunting this area of the property near the river thinking I was getting away from any hunting pressure only to find out folks were coming in from the river with dogs and running coons or hogs.  Also another place they would turn out their dogs right on the property line.
"What was big was not the trout, but the chance. What was full was not my creel, but my memory"
 Aldo Leopold

"It hasn't worked right since I fixed it" My friend Ken talking about his lawn mower

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©