3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Rut in OK  (Read 239 times)

Offline Soonerlongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
Rut in OK
« on: November 02, 2014, 09:31:00 AM »
Looks like the rut has finally kicked off here in SW OK. a good cold spell moved in yesterday & both mornings I've seen some chasing action.

Yesterday morning I saw the biggest buck I've ever seen while hunting. (Seen tons bigger & closer on Ft. Sill when I worked there.) Perfect basket rack shape, at least 22" inside, with 10 tall dagger like points. He and small forky chased out into the hay field to scare off another smaller forky from a doe that was almost "there".

A 3rd fork joined the fray & headed straight for me. All the while I'm trying unsuccessfully to sneak into my stand above the corn feeder. So now I'm stuck on the ground with a gaggle of deer headed straight at me, with a fence row littered with saplings between us. Mr. Big never came closer than 35yds but the little guys stayed out around 7 with no shot.

Oh well.
PSE Legacy 55@28
Diamondback Venom 55@28

US Army MP 2000-'08

Offline culleng

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Rut in OK
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2014, 12:27:00 PM »
Yesterday I saw a really nice buck following a doe at 10 am. I also saw 2 smaller 8 points cruising.
God and family.
58" Centaur 51# @ 28

Offline Soonerlongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2014, 02:24:00 PM »
I had to cut my post short earlier… after my incident yesterday I decided to grab my smoke pole so I can't tell you that it know have stuff to make good natural feathers.……
PSE Legacy 55@28
Diamondback Venom 55@28

US Army MP 2000-'08

Offline DaveT1963

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2014, 09:59:00 AM »
Pre-rut yes - peak of rut is still at least a week probably two off.
Everything has a price - the more we accept, the more the cost

Caribow Tuktu ET 53# @ 27 Inches
Thunderhorn takedown longbow 55# @ 27
Lots of James Berry Bows

Offline Onehair

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2014, 09:01:00 PM »
It's getting hard to predict. I just got back fro SE OK and the woods are full of spotted fawns. Normally they are half grown by now. Looks like last years rut was in Feb.

Offline BRIARS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2014, 10:10:00 PM »
We have been seeing aggressive chasing for the last few days here in Sequoyah and Adair county's.
I would say it is in full swing here. I definitely plan on being out after them at every chance over the next 2 weeks.

Offline culleng

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2014, 07:12:00 AM »
Briars your just east of me. I had a buddy call yesterday and he said that he saw a nice buck chasing a doe on his way to work. I am going to go out for a midday sit today if this rain stops.
God and family.
58" Centaur 51# @ 28

Online MnFn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2014, 11:58:00 AM »
I did not see much this week-end.  A couple of scrapes and three rubs.  But I think the numbers on my farm are way down.  I know there is a buck or two  around but they weren't running around my neck of the woods.

But some years that is the way it goes until the ironmen hit the woods this week-end.
"By the looks of his footprint he must be a big fella"  Marge Gunderson (Fargo)

"Ain't no rock going to take my place". Luke 19:40

Offline Soonerlongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2014, 03:14:00 PM »
Is really like to get out this week after work but doubt I get the chance. Lots of anual compliance iLearns to do & by the time I'm off I bet it will be too close to dark.
PSE Legacy 55@28
Diamondback Venom 55@28

US Army MP 2000-'08

Offline DaveT1963

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2014, 03:36:00 PM »
Originally posted by Soonerlongbow:
Is really like to get out this week after work but doubt I get the chance. Lots of anual compliance iLearns to do & by the time I'm off I bet it will be too close to dark.
I think the third week of Nov this year is going to be the hot week - we'll see.  I'll be in Ohio next week so I'll be curious to hear how things are progressing in OK
Everything has a price - the more we accept, the more the cost

Caribow Tuktu ET 53# @ 27 Inches
Thunderhorn takedown longbow 55# @ 27
Lots of James Berry Bows

« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2014, 11:33:00 PM »
I don't know what's happening up there in OK, but the rut is on like donkey kong here in Central TX!

Bisch

Offline Soonerlongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2014, 03:01:00 PM »
Bisch, while out Sunday I watched a small buck, I think the bigger Forky that chased off the other buck, go tend a doe. Watched 2 bucks cross 500yds of open field to get to a group of does.

I did my part to cross the same distance trying to act as a fence post. Made it 9/10 of the way only to get busted at the last minute. Had the bucks cross from 1 corner of the 40 to the middle of the opposite fence. So interested in girls were they that neither 2 coyotes or I had a problem crossing 500 hay field.
PSE Legacy 55@28
Diamondback Venom 55@28

US Army MP 2000-'08

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©