3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Forgewoods....A geat Video with Bill Sweetland  (Read 461 times)

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
Forgewoods....A geat Video with Bill Sweetland
« on: November 02, 2014, 02:37:00 PM »
My hunting buddy Bamboo sent me this, we're both taking a few days off from chasing deer in Jersey.
Enjoy....us old timer's who shot these will really appreciate this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8oUCNE4ulQ&feature=player_embedded
"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Offline Surewood Bob

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Forgewoods....A geat Video with Bill Sweetland
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2014, 05:40:00 PM »
Wow Joe, Does that bring back some old memories. I was at the presentation many years ago, but didn't actually know I was in the video(audience). In case some of you didn't  recognize Norm Johnson, he is sitting behind Jim Brakenbury at about 36:36 min. into the video. I saw myself next to Norm and forgot that I actually had a little hair back then, although  I did notice a "little" thin spot getting started there. Of course, Oregon is rich in traditional archery history and Bill Sweetland was a big part of that. In fact, he was sort of a mentor and adviser to Doug Knight when he started Oregon Traditional Arrows, which later became Surewood Shafts. Anyway, thanks for the memories.   Surewood Bob
"Having sampled *many* different brands and genus of wood shafting in the last 55 years of pulling bowstrings, yours are simply head and shoulders above the rest". ~ Rob DiStefano
 www.SurewoodShafts.com

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2014, 07:18:00 PM »
Whoaaa...who are those guys? Bunch of young pups! Jerry Gowins looks like he just came out of the woods. Pretty cool. Thanks Joe for posting this link. Bob, what year was this?
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2014, 07:27:00 PM »
Pretty neat Joe.
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline Surewood Bob

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2014, 07:52:00 PM »
David, Not to sure of the exact date and Dave Doran didn't mention it either in his introduction. I'm sure it was a least twenty years ago(probably even more). Anyone remember the year Jim died? I have a few foregewood arrows that Bill signed for me and the date on them is 4/19/1997. Bill had cancer then and died a short time later if I recall correctly. Maybe Chuck & Toni Lynde remember. Dave would also have a pretty good idea also. Yeah, we have all aged a little since then, but those were sure good times and great memories. Glad Doran had the foresight to make the video for our future generations to enjoy.   Bob
"Having sampled *many* different brands and genus of wood shafting in the last 55 years of pulling bowstrings, yours are simply head and shoulders above the rest". ~ Rob DiStefano
 www.SurewoodShafts.com

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2014, 09:04:00 PM »
:thumbsup:

Offline Oregon Okie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2014, 11:01:00 PM »
That video is awesome on a lot of levels.
"Don't believe everything you think" - bumper sticker

"Savage Blaster" - 50@31 - 63" (recurve I made with Steve Savage)
Firefly TD longbow - 50@31 - 63"
7 Lakes double shelf from a blank - 45@31 - 66"
Trident ILF w Blackmax carbons - 42@31

Offline Tree Killer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2014, 08:17:00 AM »
Originally posted by Surewood Bob:
David, Not to sure of the exact date and Dave Doran didn't mention it either in his introduction. I'm sure it was a least twenty years ago(probably even more). Anyone remember the year Jim died? I have a few foregewood arrows that Bill signed for me and the date on them is 4/19/1997. Bill had cancer then and died a short time later if I recall correctly. Maybe Chuck & Toni Lynde remember. Dave would also have a pretty good idea also. Yeah, we have all aged a little since then, but those were sure good times and great memories. Glad Doran had the foresight to make the video for our future generations to enjoy.   Bob
Bob...Jim Brackenbury died on the July 4th weekend in 1992 I believe?  It was announced at the North American Longbow Safari that year.

A friend of mine in Estacada hunted with Bill Sweetland for many years.  John gifted me all his arrow building supplies a few years ago, including a few compressed shafts.

Thanks for sharing the video Joe!
"stickbows, putting the arch back in archery"

Offline Surewood Bob

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2014, 08:52:00 AM »
Ron, Thanks for the info. I thought Jim died in the early 90's, but wasn't sure of the exact year. That means the presentation was probably in the late 1980's  or maybe 1990. That means we were all about 25 years younger than we are now....wow! I'm also fortunate that I own a few dozen forgewood arrows and also one of Bill's Yew wood longbows. Dave Doran gave me one of the CD"s this summer of the presentation. Also, good to hear from you Oregon Okie, how are you doing in Utah? Any elk this fall?
 www.SurewoodShafts.com

Offline Oregon Okie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2014, 11:10:00 AM »
Hey Bob, you look shorter in the video too?? Maybe you look better with less hair. I had a really close encounter with two spikes. One almost ran over me and then I discovered he had been hit but was barely bleeding so I never saw him again and the other was the classic... just a few more steps as the wind hits the back of your neck... Such is life. I had a great season though with lots of sites and sounds as usual.
I'm gonna have to make a shoot or two that you guys are at this Summer.
"Don't believe everything you think" - bumper sticker

"Savage Blaster" - 50@31 - 63" (recurve I made with Steve Savage)
Firefly TD longbow - 50@31 - 63"
7 Lakes double shelf from a blank - 45@31 - 66"
Trident ILF w Blackmax carbons - 42@31

Offline Surewood Steve

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2014, 04:45:00 PM »
Joe, thanks for posting, once I started watching I could not stop.  I was at that meeting and asked one of the questions at the end.  Joe St.Charles is also in the video.  Brings back great memories.
"If you don't shoot wood arrows out of your Trad bow it is like taking your split bamboo fly rod and fishing with worms and a bobber."

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2014, 10:03:00 AM »
battle shafts were the best...

Thanks for sharing, Joe..
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline Weasel

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2015, 11:44:00 PM »
Snag, can't believe how young I look and how much hair I had! Guess I've been in trad archery longer than I thought. I think that was shot around '91.
I have a free roaming, ranging mind -- sometimes it reports back to me...
---------------------------

Offline PICKNGRIN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2015, 07:55:00 AM »
Thanks for sharing this.  I had heard of these shafts but never owned any.  Very interesting to see how it was done.  I guess in my mind I pictured the shafts being compressed individually somehow.  Didn't realize the board was compressed first and then the shafts were cut from it.

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2015, 09:14:00 AM »
Very enjoyable. I had heard of these shafts in marketing materials but have never seen one.

Thanks for sharing.

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2015, 09:35:00 AM »
Very nice.  Thanks for sharing.  No better shaft was ever made.  Think I have a few of those old/early shafts that weren't sanded.  They have a texture on the outside-- about 1/4-inch in diameter on the point end, tapered down to 7/32 or less on the nock end, spine about 50#.

Also have some beauties that are 9/32 on the point end, tapered to about 1/4 at the nock end that spine 65 and 70#.  I use those for hunting.  Zipped one through a nice whitetail last fall.  Cleaned it up and it will be back in my quiver again next fall.

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2015, 09:44:00 AM »
A few years ago, I came upon 8-10 of those rare 11/32 shafts Mr. Sweetlan referred to, the kind he built for Bill Negley for his Elephant hunt.

They spined more than 100# on my spine tester.  Don't know how much more, my tester only goes up to 100#. They weighed about 850 grains as I remember. That would make up into a 1,000 grain arrow, give or take a little, which is what Negley said he used.

I was considering getting them redowelled so I could use them, but ended up selling them to someone on this site who shot a real heavy bow.  Hadn't realized they were so rare.

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2015, 10:38:00 AM »
I have one dozen of those 11/32" also and they spine out in the 90-100# range.  Weights are not quite as heavy as Orion's with these going around 650 gr. w/o points.  

I once mentioned I had a dozen of the 11/32 and was met with doubt when some folks insisted that Mr. Sweetland never made any.  Yes, they are pretty rare...but not many bows out there for them.

Lon Scott

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2015, 11:59:00 AM »
Lon,
  Didn't know Bill made them in 11/32". I have some 80/85's that will 145 gr heads they come in at around 700+ grs. Our of my Blacktail Columbian Longbow 62#@28" they really hammer hard and fly great.

Offline bentpole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2015, 04:15:00 PM »
Man oh Man Skipper thanks for posting!   :thumbsup:    :archer2:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©