3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Mature buck avoids deer trails. How many of you have seen this behavior?  (Read 601 times)

Offline longbow fanatic 1

• Trad Bowhunter
Tonight I watched a 160 inch buck walking through the woods without using deer trails. He was simply moving from one area to another and had zero interest in doing so by walking on established deer trails. I've witnessed this behavior before with mature bucks. It's extremely smart and difficult identify a bucks location in the woods when they're not using defined trails.

Has anyone else seen this behavior? Do you believe that bucks who use this tactic have realized that danger exists to them by walking on deer trails?

Offline Jake Scott

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Mature buck avoids deer trails. How many of you have seen this behavior?
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2014, 09:59:00 PM »
He's cruising looking for hot does, in my opinion.  There may be other guys that disagree, but that is my opinion.  Did you happen to notice the wind direction?  I would be willing to bet he was walking into it to smell does in the area.

Jake
FORM FORM FORM FORM

TGMM family of the bow
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
PBS Associate Member

Offline joe ashton

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2014, 10:47:00 PM »
I believe that is common.  Also I've heard they will parallel to the trails on the down wind side checking for does.
Joe Ashton,D.C.
 pronghorn long bow  54#
 black widow long bow 55#
 21 century long bow 55#
 big horn recurve  58#

Offline Bowhunter4life

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2014, 11:37:00 PM »
Absolutely!  The big bucks of any given area will rarely use the easily seen trails, but rather skirt said trails and scent check them, especially this time of the year...  

Their trails can be identified but are much more subtle then the blatant trails used by does...  That is one of the "secrets" to year in year out harvesting of mature bucks... IMO...  

With experience one finds these things out...  Most set up on the blatant trails and are tempted with does and lesser bucks that actually use these trails...  If and when a mature buck is encountered they are in "their" trails and don't present themselves  classically...  One needs to find the subtle trails around the blatant trails and set up on them rather then the blatant trails...  

If you are after meat, setup on the blatant trails...  You will have better luck getting "a" deer, but if you are after a mature buck find the trails within the trails and give yourself the best chance at that mature buck!
"Bowhunting isn't a hobby or a sport... It's a way of life!"

Quote: "Everything you read on the internet is the truth." -Abraham Lincoln

>>>-TGMM Family of the Bow--->

Offline Cwilder

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2014, 12:22:00 AM »
I see it all the time this time of year. Walking with nose to the ground with no plan on where they are going. Until they smell, hear or see something that interest them
I love Bow Hunting

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2014, 05:52:00 AM »
Originally posted by Jake Scott:
He's cruising looking for hot does, in my opinion.  There may be other guys that disagree, but that is my opinion.  Did you happen to notice the wind direction?  I would be willing to bet he was walking into it to smell does in the area.

Jake
Thanks to all for your insights. Believe it or not, he was traveling in the same direction the wind was blowing. Crazy!

Offline eidsvolling

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2014, 07:42:00 AM »
Thanks to all for your insights. Believe it or not, he was traveling in the same direction the wind was blowing. Crazy! [/QB]
He's actually doing what these guys do all the time. They rely on the wind at their backs to keep them informed on what's behind them, while watching downwind to spot anything lying in wait or approaching from that direction.

Every time I find one of those oh-so-faint pathways off the beaten track, I smile at this – it's one of the many ways they get to be "mature".

Offline Jake Scott

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2014, 07:46:00 AM »
Originally posted by eidsvolling:

Thanks to all for your insights. Believe it or not, he was traveling in the same direction the wind was blowing. Crazy! [/b]
He's actually doing what these guys do all the time. They rely on the wind at their backs to keep them informed on what's behind them, while watching downwind to spot anything lying in wait or approaching from that direction.

Every time I find one of those oh-so-faint pathways off the beaten track, I smile at this – it's one of the many ways they get to be "mature". [/QB]
^This

Jake
FORM FORM FORM FORM

TGMM family of the bow
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
PBS Associate Member

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2014, 07:47:00 AM »
The Wensels talked about it in their first book. Roger Rothhaarr did as well.
The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2014, 08:06:00 AM »
Will attempt to position setups that afford lethal shot opportunities to the main trail, yet am focused on the more subtle parallel trail.

Due note: with the rut coming on, my focus would be on the doe concentrations in those locations.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline DaveT1963

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2014, 09:48:00 AM »
What I found is that larger more mature bucks walk across deer trails to pick up receptive does.  Most of the year mature bucks do their own thing and seldom walk doe trails or bed where does bed.... just my observation where I've hunted
Everything has a price - the more we accept, the more the cost

Caribow Tuktu ET 53# @ 27 Inches
Thunderhorn takedown longbow 55# @ 27
Lots of James Berry Bows

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2014, 09:54:00 AM »
No rhyme or reason this time of year. Funnels and scrape lines go to them.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline Overspined

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2014, 03:34:00 PM »
They cut across trails going to different bedding areas looking for does. They smell the trails as they cross them and cover ground this way. Lay a scent drag and watch out.

Offline Jerry Jeffer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2014, 03:51:00 PM »
I have seen this.
I will give thanks to the LORD because of his righteousness and will sing praise to the name of the LORD Most High.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2014, 06:11:00 PM »
Originally posted by Friend:
Will attempt to position setups that afford lethal shot opportunities to the main trail, yet am focused on the more subtle parallel trail.

Due note: with the rut coming on, my focus would be on the doe concentrations in those locations.
Friend,

You nailed it! Doe trails kill big bucks during rut. As far as subtle trails, that's a great point. Watching terrain and trails help to identify bucks trails.

As far as buck walking downwind to smell their back trail while they use their eyes to to watch for danger, I've never seen or heard of this. Mature bucks, while on the move almost always use prevailing winds to alert them of danger. I've heard of mature bucks bedding with their backs to the wind to smell their backwind while they watch their downwind side.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2014, 06:15:00 PM »
Originally posted by Overspined:
They cut across trails going to different bedding areas looking for does. They smell the trails as they cross them and cover ground this way. Lay a scent drag and watch out.

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2014, 06:29:00 PM »
Absolutely. One buck has long since died of old age, but I watched him for two years. I hunted a heavy doe trail, and he always made an appearance or two about 30 yards downwind of the main run.
As I changed stand locations in the area, I also saw rubs on trees paralleling the main runs, but way off to the sides.
David M. Conroy

Online MnFn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2014, 06:37:00 PM »
I have one trail that has been used only by mature bucks coming out of the creek bottom/slough to feed in my hayfield. Over the last ten years of watching that field I have never seen a doe enter the field there.  They do enter that part of the field at times, but not on that trail.  Some years, nothing uses it. But when they do they are usually nice bucks.

I assume for some reason  they feel secure coming out there, just at dusk.  Predominate wind direction and a very secure area behind them I am guessing.
"By the looks of his footprint he must be a big fella"  Marge Gunderson (Fargo)

"Ain't no rock going to take my place". Luke 19:40

Offline Sixby

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2014, 07:26:00 PM »
One might consider setting up 40 or so yards off of a main trail to the downwind side.
God bless and good hunting, Steve

Offline Knawbone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2014, 07:29:00 PM »
Iv' seen where mature bucks will use their own trails year round or seasonal depending on food sources and of coarse the rut. Different bucks will have their own chosen trails sometimes as well, that normally only they use.
HHA 5 lam Cheetah 65" 48@26
HHA W Special 66" 52@26
HHA W Special 68" 56@28
GN Bushbow 64" 56@29
21st Street Chinook 64" 58@28
Kota Prarie Nomad 60" 47@24
You can do a lot of things when you have too W S Butler My Grandfather

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©