3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Ohio giant down!!!!! *Story and Pics Added*  (Read 2425 times)

Offline DaveT1963

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Ohio giant down!!!!! *Story and Pics Added*
« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2014, 01:27:00 PM »
Looking forward to hearing about this buck as I head to Ohio Sunday!
Everything has a price - the more we accept, the more the cost

Caribow Tuktu ET 53# @ 27 Inches
Thunderhorn takedown longbow 55# @ 27
Lots of James Berry Bows

Offline Onehair

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2014, 02:12:00 PM »
I hope he found it.

Offline silent sniper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2014, 02:15:00 PM »
Alright guys I have a great story to share so full your coffee mug and follow along.  I have been hunting pretty hard this year, hunting at least 3 sits a week minimum. My early season started pretty slow with low deer sightings after patterning and watching the deer all summer. This was a slight disappointment but I knew things would pick up as the temperatures dropped. Along with not seeing many deer, I also had a confidence melt down in my shooting ability after consistently shooting very well all summer. So a week into the season I changed my whole shooting style, going from split finger instinctive shooting to 3 under gap shooting with the help from videos from Rod Jenkins and Jimmy Blackman. After tweaking my form and anchor points along with mixing my previous instinctive style into; I finally found a “split vision” method that felt comfortable and natural and produced the consistent results I was looking for.

My fellow hunting partner “Buckeye Hunter” has made me a strong believer in the power of wood smoke as a natural scent cover. We have had enough experiences to know that it certainly helps. With that said, I was lazy last Saturday evening and didn’t smoke my clothes. I later got busted by a few downwind does. Point in case I was not going to mess around anymore. I had a great spot picked out to hunt this evening and I was going to do everything in my power to keep the odds in my favor. I showered with scent free soap and smoked all of my clothes and hunting gear. We had a projected SW wind for this evening and I had a perfect funnel off of corn field that should bring the deer in close right past me. I got out to the field and got dressed up to find the weatherman was wrong!   A heavy NW wind was blowing and absolutely destroyed any chance of hunting the funnel. My farm has very few good hunt able N wind stands. I stood there in disbelief while trying to decide my next move.
As by a grace of God, the wind shifted to a steady W wind, giving me a chance at another great funnel spot I have between 2 swamps. I hurried up and walked down to my tree. I set out a scent drag around my tree than climbed up the tree and got set up and looked at my watch, 4:00. A little later than planned but still ok. I made a few blind grunt calls and settled in. 15 minutes later I hear a deer moving through the brush. I looked over to see a big spike cruising along the far side of the funnel. He crossed the creek behind me and continued on his way.
Then I see what I thought was a cat sneaking through the bushes. Another look reveals it is actually a very large buck mink slinking through the bushes. I gave my best imitation of a squealing mouse but the mink was uninterested and continued on its way.
At 4:45, I was enjoying the sunlight and the beauty of the woods when movement in front of me caught my attention.  I could see a nice rack coming out of a stand of shrubby trees. The deer was only 25 yards away and was quickly coming towards me. I froze and waited, hoping the buck would present a shot. As he came in, I got a good look at him. He was a 3.5 year old 8 point with a tight rack that had unusually long tines for his rack width. Not a monster, but a solid buck in the 135” class. My personal limit is 130” and bigger so he got the green light.
He stepped into an opening at a mere 18 yards, but I wasn’t ready for the shot. He scanned the area and quickly picked me off as I stood in an otherwise bare walnut tree with no limbs to conceal me. With that he made a giant leap and hopped 10-15 yards before stopping to have another look. I drew back, hit anchor, aimed for a second, and let loose. The buck dropped and took off as my arrow flew right where he had been standing a second ago. It is amazing how an alert deer can jump the string. He trotted off and disappeared back into the shrubs.  I expected to be mad at myself for blowing my first chance at a shooter buck this season, but I was not mad at all. I was happy I got to see him and even get a shot at him. A clean miss with no chance of injury was icing on the cake. I thanked the Lord for the opportunity and nocked another arrow.

Offline GingivitisKahn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2014, 02:39:00 PM »
Congrats - sounds like a good time to me!

Offline ghall80

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2014, 02:47:00 PM »
GOOD TIME FOR SURE anytime in the woods with action like that is a great hunt in my eyes
Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway--JOHN WAYNE

Offline Longbowlogan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: November 03, 2014, 03:57:00 PM »
Maybe I should have kept that bow since it has so much mojo! Congrats!!
Big Stick Assassin LB 60" 51@29
Big Stick Assassin LB 62" 60@28
Schafer Silvertip RC 60" 54@28, 57@27, 76@29

PBS Associate member

Offline Tsalt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: November 03, 2014, 04:20:00 PM »
:campfire:
Tim Salters

"But his bow remained steady, his strong arms stayed limber, because of the hand of the Mighty One."  Genesis 49:24

Offline Jayrod

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: November 03, 2014, 05:08:00 PM »
:campfire:
NRA Life member

Compton traditional bowhunter member

Offline 23feetupandhappy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: November 03, 2014, 07:55:00 PM »
Oh boy!!!!   :archer2:
The Lord Is My Provider......

Offline silent sniper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: November 03, 2014, 08:02:00 PM »
It was not long after before I heard deer chasing in the brush in front of me. My anticipation was growing as I heard the rushed footsteps come closer. Than the noise turned and went into the swamp and all went quiet. I never had the chance to see what the deer were that made the noise.  A few minutes later I heard footsteps coming from behind me now.  A few grunts from my call had the footsteps coming my way. I could hear tines rubbing against the shrub branches which lead me to believe it was a buck. Unfortunately I never got to see what that deer was either.......

As I stood waiting on the deer to emerge from the brush behind me, I looked to my left and was blown away when I saw a huge buck working along the edge of the funnel 75 yards away. He was walking towards the brush and was about to disappear. I quickly grabbed my call and gave him a few snort wheezes. With that he immediately went to the closest stand of sapling trees and spent the next 10 minutes tearing the trees to shreds. He was angry to say the least!

I gave a few doe bleats and a tending grunt and had the big boy working his way back out of the saplings and into the clearing in front of me. It looked as if he was going to cut diagonal across me 50 yards without getting a shot. Out of nowhere the other buck behind me in the brush started to walk around and the big boy quickly turned back around and stood his ground, making sure the other buck knew he was the boss, even if he couldn’t see him.

After the big boy was content that he had scared away his opponent he started diagonally across me again, this time only 20 yards away. At 15 yards he hit my estrus scent drag and stood there checking it out. He was so close I could hear him stiffing the ground. I stood in position with tension on the string, all I needed was my shot opportunity.

Out of nowhere he looked up right at me! I stood dead still and prayed he wouldn’t bust. He gazed at me for a few seconds than decided he was content. As he turned broadside to walk away I saw my chance. I drew back, hit anchor, aimed tight for his elbow and let tension off the string. The arrow stuck and I instantly worried the shot may be too low. The buck took off like a scalded cat and dashed into the swamp. Everything went quiet and then there was a huge crash! I prayed what I heard was correct and I quickly packed up my stuff. I went to site of impact and found good blood but no arrow. I backed out and called my buddy for back up.

We had a nice dinner and chat as we waited to go out. Finally, after an hour or so of waiting I decided it was time to go search. We got to the impact site again and quickly picked up on the blood trail. There was blood spraying out both sides and I prayed I had hit the heart. As we followed the trail the blood trail got even better. Blood was spraying for 2-3 feet out both sides of the deer. As we entered the swamp we turned a sharp corner and there he lay! He was everything I had hoped he would be. A beautiful tall heavy 9 point that was an absolute toad of a buck.  His beams were so heavy and the slight palmation of his right G2 and crab claw Left G2 was just perfect. I was so happy! We flipped him over and I found my arrow. It had gotten full penetration but as he dashed off his leg pushed the arrow back inside of him.  My shot was lower than I wanted but it had effectively punched the heart and had a very quick clean kill.

I am so glad I had my deer tracking buddy with me. He is strong enough to pull an ox and it took everything we had to get that deer out of there. We had to cross a creek and pull it through logs and thorn bushes. I have never been so relieved to see the golf cart. We got it loaded up and took it home. My fiancé showed up with her camera and we had a photo session in the dark. Luckily she has the equipment to overcome the darkness. After taking pictures we got the buck hung up and skinned out. It will be turned into a bunch of bologna.

This has been yet another mile stone in only 1.5 years of traditional archery. Last year I was gifted with my biggest buck to date with my caribow wolverine and this deer blew last year’s buck out of the water. I have not measured him yet but would guess he will somewhere around 145-150". It was an amazing experience to say the least! I used my 50# caribow wolverine longbow with a heritage 150 shaft and the awesome 160 grain palmer extreme broad heads.  Those big 4 blades due a huge amount of damage and I credit them to such a quick kill. Thank you guys so much for following along and I wish the best of hunting seasons to all of you! I will be after a fat doe and some bushy tailed fox squirrels for the rest of the season. Cheers SS!

Here is a proud fiancé

Here is the Palmer entrance hole. Very happy with the damage and penetration of the head. Also a very accurate head to boot.

Offline Sawpilot 75

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: November 03, 2014, 08:06:00 PM »
Tic Tic Tic...    :coffee:

Offline elkken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: November 03, 2014, 08:06:00 PM »
That is a bruiser for sure .... very very nice

Congrats    :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:    :notworthy:
Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: November 03, 2014, 08:08:00 PM »
Stud of a buck! Congrats!
" Just concentrate and don't freak out next time" my son Tyler(age 7) giving advise after watching me miss a big mulie.

Online ronp

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: November 03, 2014, 08:08:00 PM »
Whoa!  What a bruiser, congrats and thank you for sharing you hunt    :clapper:
Ron Purdy

TGMM Family of the Bow
MTB
NRA

Offline Matty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: November 03, 2014, 08:11:00 PM »
Oh wow. Awesome

Offline Steve Kendrot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: November 03, 2014, 08:13:00 PM »
Nice! What a buck. Congrats.

Offline Sawpilot 75

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: November 03, 2014, 08:14:00 PM »
Wow! Good job, great story and pics. Great buck!!

Offline SL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: November 03, 2014, 08:17:00 PM »
Beauty!

Offline Tim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: November 03, 2014, 08:21:00 PM »
I honestly don't think I've ever seen a smile so big and so sincere!     :clapper:      Congrats young man you did well, very well!   Frame the pic with your fiancé!!!!

Offline JJB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: November 03, 2014, 08:24:00 PM »
Well done, that's a darn nice deer! I really like your photos too.
-Jay

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©