3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Dead coyote, lucky deer. Coyote and deer video posted.  (Read 609 times)

Offline DanielB89

• Trad Bowhunter
Dead coyote, lucky deer. Coyote and deer video posted.
« on: November 03, 2014, 10:08:00 AM »
Saturday morning a good friend and I went to check out an are that is surrounded by water that usually holds animals due to acorn trees and a really long walk to get there.  

Well, we make it to the area and slowly ease our way back towards the river(which is what surrounds the land) and to both of our surprise, were late.  The animals have already moved out of the area due to them flooding the "sanctuary"(a duck haven).  

On our way back, we check out some new area, and I saw a sight that I don't think I have ever seen before..

an acorn tree that was loaded to the gills and didn't have an acorn on the ground, lol.  Nothing special, just hadn't seen it before.  

Steve and I leave that area with 2 more areas we want to check out.  We arrive at the first of the two places.  This place is a cypress slough that is dried up except for a few water hole that is surrounded by oak trees on both sides and a deer highway going straight through the middle(forgot to take a picture).  

While on the trek in, I ran off a pair of does who were feeding on some acorns.  After further inspection, I knew this was where I would be that evening.  Here is a picture of the huge oak tree that was dropping acorns.

You may ask Why i am so zoomed in, look closely and keep in mind that it is is the 30's at this time.
Hint: something has an abnormal shine on the tree.

That evening I came back and my little buddy was gone.  I took this picture to give you a visual of how high up he actually was..

I have been trying my hardest to get a kill on film on public land which is no easy challenge, but this weekend I finally accomplished my goal.  I was sitting in the stand and it was about 5 o'clock when I hear something crunching on some leaves.  I look to my right and a solo coyote is headed my way.  I have to rush to turn the camera on, grab my bow off the bow hanger, get the camera on it, keep the camera on it while its heading my way.. a lot going on as you can tell.  Well he finally makes it to my shooting lane at about 12 or so yards and stops right behind 2 limbs I left to keep a little cover.  I had a perfect shooting lane, but the camera had those limbs between it and the yote, but you could still see it.  I will post the footage later. Here is a picture.

While sitting in the stand with the yote a mere 10 yards from me with and me being about 18' up with a solid north wind, I could still smell him.  Those suckers stink!  With me being able to smell him that much, i figured my hunt was over, but chose to sit until dark.  

Sure enough, at about 30 minutes before dark, 2 does coming in from the south smelled something they didn't like and chose a different path.  

This was my first kill on film and it was a rush! Being able to watch the kill over and over it pretty cool.

Deer video:

Coyote Video:

"Blessed is the man who trusts in the LORD And whose trust is the LORD. Jeremiah 17:7

"There is a way which seems right to a man,
But its end is the way of death."  Proverbs 14:12

Offline DanielB89

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Dead coyote, lucky deer. Coyote and deer video posted.
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2014, 10:09:00 AM »
I left my stand hanging because i knew the deer were staying in this area and were hitting the acorns pretty hard..
"Blessed is the man who trusts in the LORD And whose trust is the LORD. Jeremiah 17:7

Offline DanielB89

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2014, 10:16:00 AM »
After getting back to the camp and getting some foot in my stomach, we all discussed our plans for the next day.  I had every intention of going back in and hunting the same place in the morning.  Then i started wondering if that coyote's smell would ruin my hunt in the am.  I just couldn't chance it.  I only get to hunt 1-2 days a week max so i couldn't take a chance of ruining one of those hunts because of that dang coyote.

Offline DanielB89

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2014, 10:44:00 AM »
So at 8:30 that night I am headed back to the woods to get my stand.     :banghead:  

In the am, I knew the area I would be hunting in.  This morning it was even colder.  The truck showed 31* driving in, so i figured the deer would be moving all day.  After getting the stand hung and everything sat up it was right before day light.  I didn't see anything until about 8:30.  

at 8:30, 2 young does were headed my way, I had the camera on them all the way in.  They were constantly looking around and i did my best to not move while trying to keep the camera on them, bow up in ready position, and keep myself in a position to shoot.  

After about 5 mins of filming them, my heart was pounding like nothing I have ever felt.  Here I was about to kill my second deer with trad equipment on film.  Well she was slowly walking away on an angle, I had the camera in perfect position, I get my bow up, draw, loose the arrow, the arrow is flying perfect, perfect height, the deer didn't react, and I hit the ground about 3" in front of her..miss.  

This would have been my second trad deer and 1st deer kill on film.  Missing sucks, but it was an awesome weekend none the less!

I will post those 2 videos later this week.

Offline kadbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2014, 05:00:00 PM »
Sounds like a good weekend!
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
Colorado Bowhunters Association
Grand Mesa Bowmen
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

TGMM Family of the Bow

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2014, 10:39:00 PM »
Way to go on the yote!

Sorry about the doe, but a clean miss is better than a bad hit any day!

I used to film some, and while it is really cool to be able to go back and watch later (and a great tool for verifying hit position), it was just too much of a PITA for me to put up with!

Bisch

Offline Caughtandhobble

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2014, 06:46:00 AM »
Way to go Bro!!!!

Online Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2014, 06:53:00 AM »
Memmorable!
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline bowless

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2014, 07:38:00 AM »
I'm looking forward to the footage. Great pics and story.

Thanks
Isaiah 53:5  and with his stripes we are healed.

Offline Kopper1013

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2014, 09:26:00 AM »
Congrats on the yote!
Primitive archery gives yourself the maximum challenge while giving the animal the maximum chance to escape- G. Fred Asbell

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2014, 09:53:00 AM »
Very cool!
" Just concentrate and don't freak out next time" my son Tyler(age 7) giving advise after watching me miss a big mulie.

Offline Pat B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2014, 10:30:00 AM »
Way cool !!!

I rather kill a coyote than a deer any day..

Good story.

Offline DanielB89

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2014, 10:56:00 AM »
Coyote kill

as a disclaimer, I was pretty excited.  And i used the work "freak" a lot. haha.

Offline SAM E. STEPHENS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2014, 04:01:00 PM »
It's a lot of fun getting vid , good job sir...

,,,,Sam,,,
HUNT OLD SCHOOL

Offline johnnyk71

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2014, 09:30:00 PM »
cool stuff!
All lefty, all the time...
Martin Hatfield 45#@28"
Liberty Chief Elite 53#
Blacktail Elite V.L. 53#
Maddog Prairie Predator 51#
Sheepeater Spirit 50#
RER Retro 53#
RER LXR Recurve 52#, Longbow 54#

Offline Stump73

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2014, 09:59:00 PM »
Congratulations! Doing isnt easy to do by yourself.  Great job.
BigJim Thunderchild 54" 52# @ 28"
BigJim Thunderchild 56" 42# @ 28"

Offline ARCHER2

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2014, 10:02:00 PM »
Good job buddy! Great stuff!
But they that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength:they shall mount up with wings as eagles:they shall run and not be weary:and they shall walk and not faint......Isaiah 40;31

"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Offline DanielB89

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2014, 10:18:00 PM »
Deer video

Offline SAM E. STEPHENS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2014, 12:55:00 AM »
I have filmed many hunts and it ain't easy , good job sir...

,,,Sam,,,,
HUNT OLD SCHOOL

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2014, 09:11:00 AM »
Looks like a good shot from a well tuned bow just that she wasnt there when the arrow got there.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©