3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Better Lucky Than Good  (Read 1627 times)

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
Better Lucky Than Good
« on: November 03, 2014, 01:46:00 PM »
I'm not proud to have to post this one.  They say all's well that end well, but I still don't like it when things don't go as planned.  But there are a couple of lessons to be taken from the story, so here goes.

I had spent the past 4 days at our hunting cabin in west central Wisconsin with my wife.  I had been seeing deer, and the start of some good rutting action.  But we had planned only on the 4 days so headed for home yesterday afternoon.  The good news is that the deer hunting around my home is as good if not better than at the cabin.  

A couple of hours before dark I headed to a favorite stand just a 100 yards or so from my back door.  I have a small apple orchard there and the deer really love the treats.

Five minutes after settling in a small forkhorn appeared and gobbled up a few tasty apples.  He wandered off, and I spotted another buck out across the marsh along my back ditch line.  

He appeared to be a fairly wide buck, but only a six point assuming he had brow tines at all.  Not one I wanted to shoot, but cool to see.  Then a doe popped into the open near him and stood as he approached.  He climbed on top and had his way with her.  That was a first for me.  After all the hours I had spent in a tree stand I had never witnessed an actual breeding take place.  And this one seemed to be much earlier in the month than I would have expected.  Maybe they were just practicing.   :saywhat:

Shortly after than episode the small forky came back looking for more apples.  Following directly behind him was another buck that brought my interest to a whole 'nother level.

PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline GRAYBEARD

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Better Lucky Than Good
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2014, 01:50:00 PM »
AND....????
TGMM Family of the Bow; Make every heartbeat a party, the next one is not guaranteed!

Offline Ragin Bull

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2014, 02:01:00 PM »
Well I'm liking the way it's headed so far Joe
Graywolfwoolens.com

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Life Member of Comptons

Offline rwbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2014, 02:03:00 PM »
:campfire:
Shoot Straight..
Rory

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2014, 02:40:00 PM »
The picture above was taken by my trail camera.  I was perched in another tree off to the left of the photo.

As if scripted, the bigger buck walked closer toward me before turning broadside, then slightly quatering away.  Completely unaware at 15 yards, I couldn't ask for a better opportunity.  After beginning my draw the rest of the shot seemed to be on autopilot.  A very faulty autopilot as it turns out.  I can't say I remember anchoring, aiming or pulling through.  The next thing I remember was my arrow smacking the deer in the right rear leg!!!

What the heck???  I've never missed a shot so badly in my life!!!!  Totally disgusted with myself I could only helplessly watch as he ran off with the arrow imbedded in his lower hip.  He stopped and looked back for a bit before slowly walking off into the thick red willows of my marsh.  

I was literally sick.  Animals don't deserve that kind of treatment and I felt aweful to be the sole cause of it.  

I had still only been in the stand for about 45 minutes, and headed back to the house to figure out what to do next.  A phone call to a good friend venting my frustrations and berating myself led to a more calm discussion on the next best course of action.  Even though the hit was horrible and the chance of recovery nil, I had the obligation to follow it up.  My best hope was that when he got into the thick willow cover the arrow might pull out intact, the blood flow would clot, and he would live to see another season.  

I have a Boykin Spaniel named Arlo that lives to blood trail deer.  After dark I took him down to where I had last seen the buck.  Blood sign was good, but of course everything I found was going to be all there was.  There would be no body cavity filling up with blood.  

Shortly after entering the willows I found my arrow.  The broadhead itself was missing and had broken off at the adapter.  Twenty five yards past that I heard the deer jump from its bed and crash off throught impossibly thick willows.  We trailed to his bed, and the blood trail continued past it.  Arlo was as hot on the trail as I have ever seen him and I struggled to hang on to his lead.  I use a 30 length of rope for trailing and knew that I didn't dare let go of it for a second or he would be gone.

Everything I knew (which isn't much) about blood trailing a muscle hit deer is to keep them moving and hopefully the blood flowing.  We continued on as fast as I could possibly go through the thick cover.  The trail crossed a ditch and then a fenceline into a picked corn field.  We could make better time out there and were nearly running on the track.  

I shined my flashlight ahead and saw deers eyes reflected back to me maybe 150 yards across the stubble at the edge of a brushy fenceline.  To far to identify if it might be the buck, but the blood was leading us toward the eyes.  As we approached closer the buck suddenly got up and loped across in front of us at 40 yards.  He was obviously hurting to let us get so close.  He made a wide cirle and headed back toward my little marsh.

We followed back across the original blood trail, crossing at the same spot on the ditch.  Arlo had no trouble staying on the fresher trail.  Continuing on as fast as we could on to our neighbors property, the trail was still very good with plenty of blood.  As we entered a section of tall marsh grass the buck once again jumped from a bed only 15 yards in front of us.  He had to be getting weak.  I know that I was!

He was now headed toward the road.  I stopped for a short break to give Arlo (and myself) a chance to catch our breath.  I again called my buddy to discuss what his thoughts were on what to do in a situation like this.  We both felt the only hope was to keep pushing on.

Forty or so yards past our rest stop we came on to the buck in his final bed.  The nightmare was over for both the buck and I.  

As I said at the start of this thread, I am not proud of what happened last night.  I am happy to have ended up with a great buck, but it will always be tainted with remorse over a shot poorly executed on my part.  

The lessons we need to take from this are to follow up every hit, no matter how slim the chance of recovery may be.  Secondly, be as knowledgable as you can possibly be on how to follow up different hits after the shot.  When I came back to the house to get Arlo I actually got online and found a great short tip sheet to use on following up wounded deer from DeerSearch.com     http://deersearchflc.com/RecoveryTips.pdf

I have a copy printed out and will be carrying it with me in the future. It will go in a pocket of an orange vest that I have set up specifically for blood trailing.  Some of the other items that I have in the vest are flashlights and batteries, knife, toilet paper for marking trails, gps, gloves, hat, and of course Arlo's harness and leash.  Having a seperate vest or at least a bag prepacked with everything you might need helps to make sure you are not stuck out on a trail without something that you wish you had remembered to pack.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2014, 02:43:00 PM »
Arlo and his deer.  He earned it far more than I did.

PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2014, 02:50:00 PM »
A huge congrats to the both of you!!
" Just concentrate and don't freak out next time" my son Tyler(age 7) giving advise after watching me miss a big mulie.

Offline meathead

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2014, 02:52:00 PM »
That's some good teamwork.  You may need to sweeten up Arlo's food for a while. Sounds like he deserves it. Congrats.

Offline Jack Shanks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2014, 02:57:00 PM »
Congratulations Joe! Happy ending with a great buck!
Jack Shanks

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2014, 03:02:00 PM »
Arlo is deserving of some doggie treats. As we all know, not all shots are slam dunk double lungers. Good job on keeping with him, and he is a great buck!
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline tracker1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2014, 03:03:00 PM »
Congrats Joe, thanks for sharing and taking us along on your adventure.  You and Arlo's deserved that buck.

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2014, 03:12:00 PM »
Great hunting story with a very happy ending.  Well done!
Lon Scott

Offline kadbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2014, 03:13:00 PM »
Nice buck and way to stick with it.  Any more details on the hit? Penetration? Broadhead stuck in bone? Did you get an artery? Type of broadhead? I appreciate you sharing the info.
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
Colorado Bowhunters Association
Grand Mesa Bowmen
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline KyStickbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2014, 03:14:00 PM »
Congrats to the both of you on a fine trophy...great job!!
Aim small...Miss small!!

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2014, 03:22:00 PM »
kadbow, I am using the new Grizzly Instinct 3 blade head.  The head struck bone with a solid crack at impact and little penetration.  It stuck in the bone, and stayed there when the arrow broke off at the insert adapter.  It's always hard to say what might have happened with a different broadhead, but I give a lot of credit to the Instinct for the continued blood flow from what normally would be a non-vital hit.  The Instinct is a huge tough broadhead with a lot of cutting surface on those long blades.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member

Offline Big Ed

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2014, 03:24:00 PM »
Congrats to you both!!
"Get kids involved in the outdoors"

Offline Jayrod

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2014, 03:24:00 PM »
Dandy buck godbless you ...glad a badhit led to you finding him and he didn't suffer too long. .CONGRATS! !
NRA Life member

Compton traditional bowhunter member

Offline knobby

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2014, 03:30:00 PM »
Congratulations on the beautiful buck, Joe. And Arlo deserves to sit at the head of the table for awhile. He looks very proud of himself in that photo, doesn't he? Way to stick with it.

Offline goingoldskool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2014, 03:37:00 PM »
Good for you for sticking it out! !!

Nice buck.
Rodd
"NO GOD, NO PEACE-KNOW GOD, KNOW PEACE" side of a barn along I-70, eastern Kansas
                                             Rodd Boyer
Blk Widow PL-III
53#@28
Blk Widow PSR X
50#@28

Offline kennyb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2014, 03:51:00 PM »
Congratulations Joe! Nice buck and follow through with you and your buddy! Extra treats for him! Lol
You are teaching us all a lesson on perseverance! Thanks!

Kenny     :thumbsup:    :clapper:
>>>-------------->
Black Widow-PSA III 60"
Tall Tines Recurve 62"
U.S Army Veteran
U.S. Army Military Police K-9 Corps

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©