3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Great Northern Quiver Question  (Read 1222 times)

Offline Diamond Paul

• Trad Bowhunter
Great Northern Quiver Question
« on: November 03, 2014, 04:41:00 PM »
For those of you who have used these quivers, I am interested in the quick-detach limb bolt models, including the angled one.  I have been using EFA quivers for a good while, and like them, but limb mounted quivers do, for some reason, affect the tuning of the bow in terms of arrow spine.  On the quick detach limb bolt models, how does that work?  I know the little bracket sticks to the limb around the bolt hole, but do you dispense with the limb bolt bezels and simply run the bolt through the attatchment and into the hole, or does the limb bezel sit on top of the stick on bracket?  Wouldn't this require longer bolts, if it works this way?  I am interested to hear the answers, and to hear what people think about this system.  I have used the adjustable strap on models, and was always bothered by the (in my mind) flimsy little rods with the rubber tubing to adjust and keep them together as a unit.  Does everyone find these quivers secure and quiet?  Thanks, Paul.
“Sometimes the shark go away, sometimes he wouldn’t go away.” Quint, from Jaws

Offline northener

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Great Northern Quiver Question
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2014, 05:07:00 PM »
Longer bolt thru limb bezel with quiver bracket below against limb. Quiver post slip into hole and thumb nut down to secure The thumb nuts do not unscrew all the way off  this prevents loss of thumb nut. Quick secure rock solid. Nice quiver.  Completely silent and plenty of feather clearance  I have the org model not kickback, suits me fine. My bows balance is not thrown off
Intellectuals solve problem, geniuses prevent them

Offline Kip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2014, 05:58:00 PM »
Great quiver  best I have seen.The rubber attachment works fine to adjust the length of the quiver and northerner answered the rest of your questions.Size is just right and the rubber to hold broadheads is the best I have ever used.Kip

Offline DanielB89

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2014, 07:41:00 PM »
paul,
i'll come with a different perspective.  I like the mounting system, but do not like the bar.  It makes me put my broadheads too close to the string when putting them in or taking them out.

I agree with the bow quiver affecting the tuning of the bow too.
"Blessed is the man who trusts in the LORD And whose trust is the LORD. Jeremiah 17:7

"There is a way which seems right to a man,
But its end is the way of death."  Proverbs 14:12

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2014, 07:45:00 PM »
That is the only quiver I use! I peel off the double sided tape and throw it away because it tends to ooze out the side and I dont care for the look of it. I also use the standard length bolts that are already on my bow and the bolt bezel that came on the bow. Ben doing it like that for years and never had one problem. It is the best functioning, and looking, quick detach system out there IMHO!

Bisch

Offline Mr. fingers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2014, 10:43:00 PM »
Very solid quiver quiet. And I never had an arrow fall out when shooting. The nice thing about GN is they offer different gripper sizes so you can can shoot axis shafts all the way up to fat woodies. I got longer bolts with mine.
Another nice feature you can adjust the quiver closer or further from the bow. So when it gets cold and the fatter gloves go on you can move the quiver out a little more.

Online MnFn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2014, 12:07:00 AM »
I currently have an EFA, a Thunderhorn Boa, and a Great Northern Quick detach model.  They all work fine.  

I bought the Great Northern used and it came with the original mounts and another set that does not require the black bracket. It is a much cleaner look but you have to take the bow practically apart to get it off. It is going to stay on the bow so that does not really matter to me.

If you want to see them, let me know and I will take photo of it for you.
"By the looks of his footprint he must be a big fella"  Marge Gunderson (Fargo)

"Ain't no rock going to take my place". Luke 19:40

Offline Diamond Paul

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2014, 06:06:00 AM »
I guess what I am wondering is if it is designed to be used with the brass limb bolt bezels that come with the bow or with just the limb bolt, and the quick-detach bracket functions as the bezel?  Seems like you'd have to have longer bolts to use the bezel on top of the bracket.

Offline Stickbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2014, 06:23:00 AM »
I know what you are saying D-Paul....I have bolted the bracket on both ways with my Trails End and it worked fine, I decided I like keeping the bezel on top the bracket and have had it on there for 7 years give or take. No problems.

« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2014, 08:57:00 AM »
Originally posted by Diamond Paul:
I guess what I am wondering is if it is designed to be used with the brass limb bolt bezels that come with the bow or with just the limb bolt, and the quick-detach bracket functions as the bezel?  Seems like you'd have to have longer bolts to use the bezel on top of the bracket.
No, you use the bezel that comes with your bow on top of the quiver mount. I don't know if you are supposed to have longer bolts or not, but I use this quiver on all my takedowns with standard length bolts with no issues.

Bisch

Offline beaunaro

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2014, 09:27:00 AM »
I like the GN quivers too.

I have several.

I just use the strap on models and make sure they are mounted above the transition from limb to riser...ie: on the riser itself.

I've never found that this type of mounting affected the shooting of the bow.

As has been said, best rubber strap in the industry, (UV resistant) solid mount system, quiet, comes off in a jiffy, looks sharp, good rubber system in the head for the broadheads, different gripper sizes available.

If I had a tiny complaint it would be that the hood doesn't completely house all of the longer broadhead types like the Grizzly.

It could be a bit longer.
Irv Eichorst

Online MnFn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2014, 09:46:00 AM »
I think you need to use the bezel with the attachment. Like Bisch, I have used the standard bolts and it worked fine on my BLACKTAIL and my Pronghorn.  The hood could be a little longer, maybe they offer that?  The different sized grippers are nice.

If I am using an attached quiver, I just start practicing win it on. I can't say it has affected my shooting especially at the relatively close range that we typically shoot at.
"By the looks of his footprint he must be a big fella"  Marge Gunderson (Fargo)

"Ain't no rock going to take my place". Luke 19:40

Offline cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2014, 09:59:00 AM »
I have all the quivers ever made and the GN Pro is my to go,the only limit is if you want to use the antler knobs,they are too large.
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline DanielB89

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2014, 10:25:00 AM »
Originally posted by Diamond Paul:
Paul, it all depends on which bow you are shooting.  On my longbow(typical take down) it worked fine.  On my black widow, i had to order a kit.

I liked it, just didn't like the bar placement.  Not a flaw in the build, just different than what I like.
"Blessed is the man who trusts in the LORD And whose trust is the LORD. Jeremiah 17:7

"There is a way which seems right to a man,
But its end is the way of death."  Proverbs 14:12

Offline Yellow Dog

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2014, 11:14:00 AM »
The Great Northern Quick Mounts are all I use on my three piece takedowns. The knurled takedown "longbow" limb bolts from Bingham Projects work perfect with them. No tool takedown.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Diamond Paul

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2014, 03:20:00 PM »
Oh, yeah, I like that system!  Those knobs are the bomb!  I've wondered where I could get some of those, anyway.  I used to have a Hatfield take-down curve and always thought that system was the best for a recurve limb bolt.  I think the Silvertips use those knobs, too.  I like it!  Thanks for that very useful post and pic!  I think I just found my answer.

Offline Yellow Dog

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2014, 03:53:00 PM »
If you order them make sure they are the longbow knobs. Never tried them but the recurve knobs may be too large to clear the mounting adapters. I never use the adhesive pads on the mounts, pull them off and throw them away.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Diamond Paul

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2014, 04:14:00 PM »
Ok, you lost me there.  How do you get the brackets to stay put without the adhesive?

Offline Rock 'N Bow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2014, 05:31:00 PM »
The brackets will stay in place if the bolts are tight enough. You don't need to go too tight. You can use large broadheads if you choose the deep hood option. I use 3 inch Ribteks without an issue.
Todd Henck Longbow 68" 58#@28"
Dave Johnson Longbow 66" 60#@27"
Northern Mist Ramer 64" 50#@27"
Northern Mist Classic 68" 52#@28"
Shrew Hill #1 "Alpha" 67" 48#@28"

Offline Diamond Paul

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2014, 09:01:00 PM »
I thought the point was for the brackets to stay there even when you break the bow down for travel?  Seems like that defeats the purpose.  I mean, you can take them off and throw them in the case with the bow, of course, but it seems simpler just to stick them on there.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©