3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Should I have an arrow saw?  (Read 625 times)

Offline Kaluza

• Trad Bowhunter
Should I have an arrow saw?
« on: November 03, 2014, 05:32:00 PM »
I've been shooting a recurve for a little over a year now and have recently been getting more serious about improving my shot. I never really tuned my arrows, I just bought arrows based on a chart. I did get them a little longer than I though they should be so I could trim later if I wanted. Now that I'm wanting to tune my arrows to my bow, I do need to trim them.

My question is, do you have your own arrow saw for when you are bare-shaft/ paper tuning your arrows? A coworker of mine recommended I go to an archery store with a range and tune them there and have them cut the shafts for me. Seems to me like a hassle for them if I keep needing to trim it though. However, it would save me $150+ on something I may not use a ton. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Offline Biathlonman

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Should I have an arrow saw?
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2014, 05:35:00 PM »
Up to you. Can just get something close, cut to length and tune with point weight.

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2014, 05:38:00 PM »
Just a suggestion, but go to a Harbor Freight store (or on-line) and get one of these.  Rig it on a table and true it up to get a square cut for arrow.  Lots cheaper and does the job.

http://www.harborfreight.com/2-in-bench-top-cut-off-saw-61900.html

or one of these

http://www.harborfreight.com/6-in-cut-off-saw-61204.html
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Offline Alexander Traditional

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2014, 05:52:00 PM »
I use a tube cutter on most,and it works just fine. I have some other carbons that don't work so well with the tube cutter,with those I use a dremmel. The ones with the tube cutter don't require any more attention. The others I true them up with a tool from montec.

Offline stalkin4elk

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2014, 06:13:00 PM »
Get the saw. If you stay with this game you will get different bows and set ups,change arrows and try new things and styles. A good saw is $ well spent IMHO.

Offline slowbowjoe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2014, 06:32:00 PM »
Eventually, you will want to be set up to do it all yourself, at home.
Sounds like we're referring to carbon or aluminum, not wood… in which case I think you'll need/want a cut off saw of some sort.

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2014, 07:09:00 PM »
I had one and gave it to a guy who shoots carbon. They are too slow/awkward for wood.

Offline Knawbone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2014, 07:16:00 PM »
Shoot wood, a lot easier to work with and a cheap little miter saw is all you need. Easy to tune as well.   :thumbsup:
HHA 5 lam Cheetah 65" 48@26
HHA W Special 66" 52@26
HHA W Special 68" 56@28
GN Bushbow 64" 56@29
21st Street Chinook 64" 58@28
Kota Prarie Nomad 60" 47@24
You can do a lot of things when you have too W S Butler My Grandfather

Offline M60gunner

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2014, 07:46:00 PM »
I use the Harbor Freight saw as well for carbons. Miter saw blades went south real fast on carbon shafts. Tried using the saw blades ment for wood but left to many rough edges on carbon. I tried the cut off tool as well, not for me, to slow and to much clean up on carbon edges.

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2014, 07:50:00 PM »
I own my own saw. If you want to build your own arrows, or like to fiddle with tuning different shafts, then you need a saw!

Bisch

Offline Doug_K

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2014, 08:20:00 PM »
All I've ever used for carbons is a dremel with a cutoff wheel. Works fine for me, however those small chop saws from HF awbowman linked look perfect, may have to take a look at one.
60" W&W Black Wolf 55#
64" Bamabows Hunter 52#
60" Bamabows Expedition III 52#
70" Bamabows Hunter 55#
60" A.D.M Earth 63#

Offline screamin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2014, 08:25:00 PM »
I bought a saw about 30 yrs ago and its been the best, at the time-65 bucks I ever spent. They're more now but what isn't? Your a young guy and if you stay in this game you won't regret it.

Online stevem

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2014, 10:00:00 PM »
I use a cheap grinder with a thin metal cut-off blade.  Put the grinder in the vice.  Eye-ball square the shaft to the blade.  Always cut into the shaft- don't try to cut through from one side to the other side.  Works very well for me.  Probably works like the Dremel tool.
"What was big was not the fish, but the chance.  What was full was not the creel, but the memory" - Aldo Leopold   "Good judgement comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgement"- Will Rogers

Offline Mr. fingers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2014, 10:19:00 PM »
Originally posted by stalkin4elk:
[QB] Get the saw. If you stay with this game you will get different bows and set ups,change arrows and try new things and styles. A good saw is $ well spent IMHO.
I agree and also with what Bisch said.
It's easier to tune you arrows with a saw than spending a fortune on different points and weights etc... I do paper tune and can achieve perfect bullet holes. A also bare shaft tune and have no problems getting a bare shaft to hit with my fletched arrows. BH and feild points in the same spots also.
Yeah get a saw you will be glad,you did.

Offline warpedarrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2014, 06:02:00 AM »
Find yourself a cheap tile saw.  That way you will have a tool with at least two uses for it.  I bought a Husky at Home Depot  for about $200 but my guess is that Harbor Freight has a much cheaper one.  

Mine has a diamond blade and works great on carbon arrows.  I can cut a dozen arrows in just a couple of minutes.
Brad Lehmann

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2014, 06:40:00 AM »
I bought a regular arrow cut-off saw about 7 years ago. Mine is the yellow one, I can't remember the brand.  I use it often for my and my son's arrows. Soon my grandson's arrows will be part of the work as well.

Wouldn't be without it. I don't shoot wood.

Offline culleng

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2014, 06:53:00 AM »
I bought one a few  years ago from the classifieds on another sight. Its an Apple saw. I love it and dont regret buying it.  I use it alot. Of course I like to tinker with arrows. My buddies that I shoot with borrow it. Look around you can find one that wont break the bank.
God and family.
58" Centaur 51# @ 28

Offline Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2014, 06:57:00 AM »
Quite attached to my own saw.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline warbird

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2014, 07:00:00 AM »
I have been building my own arrows for fifteen years now. Always purchased pre-cut shafts or had to pay local proshop to cut. Finally broke down and purchased a Cabelas arrow saw. Now I can purchase shafts on clearance from retailers that dont cut and tune with shaft length more. Sure it will take years to get back what I spent but there is a convenience factor to figure into the equation.
A man has to have a code, a way of life to live by.
John Wayne

Offline ChristopherO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2014, 09:27:00 AM »
I agree with the tile saw if you are a handy DIY type of guy.  Personally I use the metal cut off saw in my shop.  Does a great job and is ready for those other projects that need worked on from time to time.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©