3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: SHEEP -v- CAMPBELL  (Read 883 times)

Offline IB

• Trad Bowhunter
SHEEP -v- CAMPBELL
« on: September 29, 2007, 10:42:00 AM »
Just off the phone with Doug. He said when he left at 4:30 AM, he was unable to post. Thought I'd hep him out a bit.

He's on the QUEST. He and Walt are headed to hook up with Leo, then off to the Priors, in search of the coveted "GHOST of the Mountains"

I ask how long he was spectin ta be to out? In the usual quiet Campbell way he said "Till it's Over" then he added somethin about 3 days with Karen, kinda under his breath  :banghead:  didn't catch it all.

Any howsomever he's off, he'll keep me up to speed and I'll do like Wise for all interested. Plus those that will be with him from time to time.

He's hopin that Jeff, Gary n Robin will come up ta CAMP  :biglaugh:    :biglaugh:  

Ta be continued..................

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: SHEEP -v- CAMPBELL
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2007, 01:57:00 PM »
I smell mouton!
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline Randy Morin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2007, 02:09:00 PM »
I'd forgotten about Dougs Sheep tag in the Pryors.  Heres hopin they have a good safe hunt and  a big-ol full-curl steps out and poses at 15. Good Luck Guy's!!  :thumbsup:

Online Jack Denbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2007, 08:05:00 PM »
Thanks Vance.
PBS Associate member
TGMM Family of the Bow
Life is good in the mountains

Offline BigRonHuntAlot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2007, 08:17:00 PM »
:bigsmyl:    :campfire:    :coffee:
>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->

The Moon Gave Us The Bow, The Sun Gave Us The Arrow

Walk Softly and Carry a Big Stick

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2007, 08:42:00 PM »
'Til it's OVER' is the BEST plan...he has a lot of good help and that is a GREAT help.  

Keep us up on things Vance...please!

Good Luck Doug!

Steve O

Online tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2007, 08:45:00 PM »
Hunt Hard...Aw it's Doug, I didn't need to say that  :thumbsup:  Can't wait for this story to unwind...Doc
TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Offline Roughcountry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2007, 10:42:00 PM »
Aw man, to be there.  :(   Leo, Walt, you lucky dog's  :readit:   May your eye's be sharp as the eagle, yer legs as sure as the mule and Dougs aim true as the word from above  :notworthy:  

Sic'em boys  :campfire:

Offline Dave Pagel

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2007, 08:42:00 AM »
Is this the range in Montana that is just north of Lovell, WY?

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2007, 06:04:00 PM »
Keep it coming as you get it Vance - we'll grovel over any scraps of information you can throw our way.  
This is going to be a good one  :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Littlefeather

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2007, 08:00:00 AM »
Man this should be one cool trip! Just having Leo and Walt there will be cool! Leo is a hard core hombre!! Walt too! Can't wait to hear all about it!

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2007, 08:21:00 AM »
Whooooweeee, anuther good'un coming!
"Being there was good enough..." Charlie Lamb reflecting on a hunt
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Offline bohuntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2007, 11:10:00 AM »
Good luck Doug we are all pullin for ya!!! Nothing quite like sheep huntin. Can't wait to hear the story and see the pictures!!!
To me, the ultimate challenge in bowhunting is not how far away you can succesfully make a killing shot but rather how close you can get to the animal before shooting.

Offline Hoodoo Arrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2007, 09:27:00 PM »
Evening folks.  Don't know how much I should talk about, but with Doug in camp away from the computer, I will give you a little update.  We spent Saturday and Sunday at it hard and Doug is staying until the 8th...on this stint.  We had tough weather on Saturday and again today so it hasn't been easy.  Spotting sheep in any country, let alone the white rocks and cedar of the Pryors is tough business, but by the end of the day Sunday, I think everybody had their sheep eyes developed.

This particular hunt area has ewe bands that stay pretty much in the same place all year.  As with most sheep, the rams have a summer area and then come to the ewe bands at rut.  When I hunted this unit in 2000, I had a good handle on the rams from June to Sept 19th and then lost contact with them.  I couldn't find a ram from Sept until late Oct/early Nov. when they came to the ewes bands to rut.  Well guess what...it's Oct. 1st and we couldn't come up with a mature ram to save what little hair is left on my head.  There were 4 of us with good optics and experience and I am confident we covered the most primary country.  Saw plenty of ewes and a great lamb crop and have the rut areas nailed down, but where these rams go pre-rut remains a mystery.  I sure hope Doug can figure that out this week, because I have provided little help.  This is sure a concern for him and it is always a gamble to wait on the hunt until the rams come to the ewes as the rut is very late in the hunting season.  Keep him in your prayers because the mental pressure of hunts like this are worse than the physical. There have been some fundamental changes in this sheep herd since I harvested and that really worries me.  They deal with location of the rams, accessibility and so on.  

When I left last night, Doug and Walt were in good spirits after riding off the mountain on a 4 wheeler with a flat tire.  Walt was going to stay today and then Doug is on his own for a while, which I am sure he will enjoy.  I am going to try and go back next Saturday morning armed with some equipment for a new approach. I find myself repeating thoughts that I had 7 years ago to justify the situation.  "With that many ewes, the rams are here somewhere".  None the less, a guy gets the feeling every ram in the herd somehow died this summer and it is frustrating.

Keep Doug in your thoughts because these once-in-a-life-time tags are special.  They load up the pressure and stress.  I know this is going to be a hard fought victory and some prayers and good thoughts would help.

Sorry for the lack of pictures, but I don't have a digi cam.  Walt may have one and might have something to post tomorrow or so.

Offline paleFace

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2007, 09:55:00 PM »
some body send him a digi camera, we just got to have some pics to go with this one. this is just way cool. wish i was there with camera in hand.....

thanks Vance & Leo for keeping us posted....   :thumbsup:
>~Rob~>

"Dad, I need to sit down I'm shaking to bad" my 12 year old son the first time he shot at a deer with his bow.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _  _  _  _  _  _  _  _  _

Offline hormoan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2007, 10:11:00 PM »
Each and everyone one of us wish Doug the luck of the Irish. And not to mention Diana on his side. The bonds in camp with each and every one of yourselfs. Is priceless, yet you are willing to take us. And make the trip a gem at least for me. Continue on, and luck be on all sides. There is one thing absolute. If no sheep is shot the trip will be priceless.

Sure wish I was there reguardless the outcome.

Good luck guys  :campfire:

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2007, 11:06:00 PM »
Leo,

Don't let him burn out early.  You guys will be in great shape in November   :thumbsup:  .  

Literally and figuratively!

Online Walt Francis

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2007, 01:19:00 AM »
I got back late this evening and do have some pictures, but will keep them and the stories short until Doug returns.  I will try and post some more in the morning.  One thing before heading to bed: If you ever get the chance to spend time in a camp with either Doug or Leo DO NOT PASS IT UP!
The broadhead used, regardless of how sharp, is nowhere as important as being able to place it in the correct spot.

Walt Francis

Regular Member of the Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline Brian Halbleib

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2007, 01:35:00 AM »
I'll second that Walt. Wish I could have stayed a few more weeks and went with him. Heck, you know he's enjoying the solitude anyhow...

-Brian
 www.bowyersjournal.com

Offline Littlefeather

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2007, 07:10:00 AM »
I've spent camp time with all three of you and must mirror your thoughts on the subject! Good to see Leo posting. That fella has some of the funniest cowboy stories I have ever heard. Roping mule deer and bears in the brush with the cows.

Doug will get his animal. If not I'll be surprised. He one of the best I've ever seen. He'll get one, I'm quite sure! CK

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©