3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Tall Tines questions  (Read 755 times)

Offline Iowabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Tall Tines questions
« on: November 04, 2014, 11:02:00 AM »
So say you were going to order a new Tall Tines from Brian. Standard grip probably no stipling, of course would have the antler limb burr bolts.

You were looking @ 63# and you draw 26.75-27" depending on how focused you are.

1st question-what carbon arrows would you go with if you were trying to get as close to 10 gpp as possible?

2nd question-length? The only TT I have now was bought used, I think it's 60"? I'm not sure on the performance of the 62"ers and if I should go with the long or standard riser etc.

Thanks!
Associate PBS member NRA member DU and Pheasants Forever

Offline Iowabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Tall Tines questions
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2014, 11:05:00 AM »
I would stick with my trusy VPA 3 blade heads for bear, deer, pronghorn and mountain lion if I'm lucky.

I am wanting to try some of the Abowyer heads, also have some 185 Grizzly heads that aren't mounted that I would use for elk.

Going to make a serious run @ the trad bow route for 2015 and am just trying to nail down what I am looking at.

Just a heads up, I get a good deal on Black Eagle arrows (would like to stay with them if possible, the wood arrows I built I just don't have the heart to shoot them as they look to nice-Thanks Walt F), they have some real slim diameter shafts that are interesting, and fly great from my wheel bow.

Offline Altiman94

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2014, 11:51:00 AM »
I've not owned a tall tines but can give you some details on my arrows.  I use a 50# bow so my arrows are 35/55 gold trip traditionals (.500 spine).  With a 100gr brass insert and a 150gr head my arrows weigh in at 530gr -which is over 10gpp for me.  I would think you could easily shoot a .400 or even .340 spine arrow with more weight up front.  I don't think you'll have a problem getting to 600gr or more.
>>>--------->

Online cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2014, 01:25:00 PM »
With your short draw and 63# I woul look for the Eritage 250 with a VPA 250 or 260 abowyer,cut to lenght till it will fly like a unfletched dart,for me around 28-1/2"--29"
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline Flying Dutchman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2014, 01:47:00 PM »
Originally posted by Altiman94:
I've not owned a tall tines but can give you some details on my arrows.  I use a 50# bow so my arrows are 35/55 gold trip traditionals (.500 spine).  With a 100gr brass insert and a 150gr head my arrows weigh in at 530gr -which is over 10gpp for me.  I would think you could easily shoot a .400 or even .340 spine arrow with more weight up front.  I don't think you'll have a problem getting to 600gr or more.
Times two   ;)
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that string! [/i]                            :rolleyes:              
Cari-bow Peregrine
Whippenstick Phoenix
Timberghost ordered
SBD strings on all, what else?

Online mparks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2014, 07:15:00 PM »
My go to bow right now is a 60#@28" 60" Tall Tines recurve.  I draw 27" and shoot Easton FMJ 400s with a 175gr ABowyer with a 75gr steel broadhead adapter to have 250gr up front.  I was able to bare shaft the 400s starting full length with 250gr field points and shorten the shaft until they grouped with fletched shafts.

So I'd imagine you'd be fine with a 400 spine and 200-300gr up front depending on how long you like to leave your arrows.

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2014, 08:09:00 PM »
I have/have had both 60" and 62" Tall tines.
62" is much easier to shoot for me.60"ers are gone.
David M. Conroy

Offline Manitoba Stickflinger

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2014, 07:48:00 AM »
Because you draw slightly under 27 I'd say an FMJ 400 would work well. You may end up just shy of 600 gr. if you use a 225 gr head but I'm sure you'll like how it performs...

Offline DaveT1963

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2014, 08:26:00 AM »
As stated you can get the 10 gpi with gold tips pretty easily and they are readily available.  You may find that some bows in that weight range prrefer a 55/75 a little better (lots of variables like how you grip the string, form, etc.).
Everything has a price - the more we accept, the more the cost

Caribow Tuktu ET 53# @ 27 Inches
Thunderhorn takedown longbow 55# @ 27
Lots of James Berry Bows

Offline Iowabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2014, 10:57:00 AM »
Do most people prefer the 62" over the 60"ers?

If so is there a reason behind the preference?

Online Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2014, 11:14:00 AM »
Jacob,

Everybody wants a short bow. Some try to talk themselves into short bows shoot great. If that were true, they would be shooting short bows in the Olympics. I've got 4 or 5 60" TallTines and I draw 30"--you would be perfect in a 60". If it was me I'd get a long riser short limb combo.

Offline Yellow Dog

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2014, 11:49:00 AM »
I have three 60" short risers, two with Brian's medium grip and the last one he made for me with a low checkered grip. I really like his low grip. I had two 62" long risers and sold them both, not a fan of more mass weight, I like a lighter bow but that's a personal thing. All are superb shooting bows and Brian's craftsmanship is top notch.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Iowabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2014, 12:10:00 PM »
I'll take your word for it Steve!

Have a phone call scheduled with Brian later this afternoon, wish me luck!

Offline Iowabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2014, 12:13:00 PM »
Those FMJ Injexion shafts, with Abowyer's Deep Six thread adapter on some Abowyer Whitetails, glue on VPA's would be pretty sweet I'm thinking.

My poor wife is going to faint when I tell her that I need MORE arrows for a different bow   :help:  

Hopefully getting a new job, should hear back today or tomorrow so that should help ease the pain.

Offline Michael Arnette

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2014, 12:14:00 PM »
I draw 28-28.5 and have shot 3 setups with the TT, all between 59#-#70. I've killed some nice deer with his 58", 60" and 62" setup. Love them all. I hunt whitetail out of a tree stand and have settled on a 58"-60" set up with a short riser. I don't shoot it as well as the longer setups but the maneuverability is great.
However, If I were hunting western game full time I would go with a 64" short riser setup for a total length of 62" this is by far the smoothest and most stable/accurate setup for those longer shots off the ground.
Whatever you do, I highly recommend the short riser set up, it really helps with smoothness and stability.

Offline Iowabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2014, 10:44:00 AM »
Anybody else have a preference on riser/overall bow length?

Offline SheltonCreeker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2014, 10:53:00 AM »
I have a 62" TT. I can't comment on the 60's never had or shot one. But I really like my 62. I like the longer riser as I feel the sight picture is a little bigger helps me stay focused on my target.
"Other things being equal, it is the man who shoots with his heart in his bow that hits the mark." Dr. Saxton Pope

Offline Manitoba Stickflinger

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2014, 11:05:00 AM »
Loved my 62" r/c (long riser) but find that my 58" r/c is better all around for me when hunting. Really liking the 60" Stickflinger though... All personal opinions. For me it's generally the string angle interfering with my leg while shooting out of a stand. The shorter bows with the sharper angle work good when stand hunting.

Online Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2014, 10:19:00 AM »
So Jacob...get a 60" with a long riser so you can compare it with the short riser you have now, then get a 62 or 58" from there.

Just make it look something like this :-)

Offline Iowabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2014, 05:24:00 PM »
haha as much as I would like to have 4 or 5 Talltines that just isn't in the budget at the moment!

That combo does look really nice, is that the woods you were referring to in your previous post Steve?

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©