3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: "Cat Whisker Guy" Giving BOW HUSH/HUSH PUPPIES a Try! ***1st update pg 2***  (Read 2493 times)

Offline Ryan Sanpei

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
As many of you already know, I've been using cat whiskers for years. I finally found a cat whisker combination that I'm happy with. Here's the test that I used to find my happy medium. At this point, I don't think I'll be doing any more experimenting with this set up.
       http://rysanpei.blogspot.com/2014/10/a-few-years-back-i-was-curious-to-find.html      

I've always tried to keep an open mind when it came to my hunting equipment, so now it's time to try another highly recommended silencing material, wool. From what my trad brothers tell me, Bow Hush and Hush Puppies are the product to go with.

So now the fun begins! I'll be swapping out cat whiskers for wool on both my bow and Staci's bow. I'll be sure to keep the Gang posted of my results!

Aloha!

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
:coffee:    :coffee:  Should be interesting.....
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Jayrod

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
They truly work best IMO you will be happy but looking forward to your testing
NRA Life member

Compton traditional bowhunter member

Offline TradBrewSC

• Trad Bowhunter
Don't get me wrong I do like a fast/performing bow, but have never really been one to stress over the chrono as long as it's "scootin good" for me.

With that being said, I love my hush/puppy, and put the combo on all of my bows. I feel that it takes little from the performance and does wonders for quieting the bow.

I've tried alot of differnt bow silencers and have never found anything that works as well on a recurve.

Enjoy.

Offline katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Ryan, I did some unscientific noise reduction and chrono testing with cat whiskers, hush puppies and water several years ago. I will wait until you get yours done so not to influence your results. Have fun.
shoot straight shoot often

Offline jt85

• Trad Bowhunter
I'll be watching this one.
Black Widow PCH 58" 48#@28"
Mohawk Sparrowhawk 62" 49@28
Mohawk Sparrowhawk 62" 52#@28
Wengerd Ibex 58" 50#@28

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
I have a lot of cat whiskered strings. I bought the Hush and Puppies during a sale here last year. I made up three strings. I like it.

It takes longer (I hate to wait until the next day to shoot) than whiskers but they are very durable and silence well.

P.S. I changed the way I put Whiskers on my string based upon your (S2) videos.

Offline Jake Scott

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Yep. Paying close attention to this thread.

Jake
FORM FORM FORM FORM

TGMM family of the bow
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
PBS Associate Member

Offline snakebit40

• Trad Bowhunter
Jon Richards

Isaiah 6:8 Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”.
>>>>------------>
Schafer Silvertip 71@28
Big River 60" 59@28

Offline Ryan Sanpei

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Katman, just give me your results and save me the trouble.     :D

I'm glad the videos helped Roy.

This one will be tough to compare "apples to apples", but I'll try my best.

As some of you know, I love to "test" my equipment, but bottom line for me is always hunting application.

Offline Bowhunter4life

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: "Cat Whisker Guy" Giving BOW HUSH/HUSH PUPPIES a Try! ***1st update pg 2***
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2014, 11:16:00 PM »
My only statement here is I'm a wool fan...  Both in clothing and string silencing...  The actual numbers will be interesting but not life changing for me...  Bow Hush and Hush Puppies are the best simply because of the quality of the wool itself...  Outstanding wool IMO!!!!

Will be interesting to see your results...
"Bowhunting isn't a hobby or a sport... It's a way of life!"

Quote: "Everything you read on the internet is the truth." -Abraham Lincoln

>>>-TGMM Family of the Bow--->

Offline Over&Under

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2014, 12:41:00 AM »
I'd be interested in a speed comparison when you get both setups ready...if it's not too much trouble.

I always enjoy your experiments and attention to detail...looking forward to this one...
“Elk (add hogs to the list) are not hard to hit....they're just easy to miss"          :)
TGMM

Offline Ryan Sanpei

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2014, 02:30:00 AM »
Originally posted by Over&Under:
I'd be interested in a speed comparison when you get both setups ready...if it's not too much trouble.

I always enjoy your experiments and attention to detail...looking forward to this one...
Sounds good. It may take a while before I even find the configuration and installation that I like best. LOL!

A few of my friends have been telling me for some time to try wool. I just haven't had the time. I have a couple months of down time from hunting, so I'll be experimenting with a few things.

They say it's quieter than my cat whisker setup (primary reason for experimenting). If it's true, I'll be stoked as I'll need a whisper quiet rig for an upcoming axis deer hunt.

Offline katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2014, 07:12:00 AM »
Ryan, bottom line the difference in speed is negligible at normal hunting ranges, 2-3 fps. This was comparing full length whisker and full length bow hush at quarters. Using 4 silencers may increase that some. When real wet that increased another 2 fps. Just a pluck of the string nocked enough water off to bring speed back up. The bow hush did a better job silencing for me. Plus they just look cooler.

I now use your method of installing whiskers and 1/2 bow hush per silencer. If I am going to be in a wet environment or one with cockle burrs whiskers are preferred otherwise use bow hush. Great product.  Hope that helps.
shoot straight shoot often

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2014, 10:49:00 AM »
Yeah...and don't forget....EVERYING gets wet when it rains...NOT just the silencers.  All of your weapon and ammo hold water when its raining bringing the performance down.  Can't just blame it all on one item, when bow limbs, string, arrow, arrow rest, and feathers ALL hold water and slow down the bow and arrow.

Also, we sell the 'Full' Version of the Hush Puppies for those bows that need the most silencing.  Most longbows can cut away 4 strands to start with, but we just send along the full size version to make sure the bow is quiet.  

Most of my re curves are 2-4 strand less, and my longbows are 4-6 strands less.  So you can modify them based on how loud your bow is to start with.  And, you can cut off strands if need be after installation.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline kiamichi kid

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2014, 11:24:00 AM »
Perfect! I was hoping you would run a test like this, Ryan. I have been using your cat whisker system on my longbow this year but have plans to order a 50's model recurve this offseason and have really been intrigued by the bow-hush silencers. Your research will once again be fruitful for the gang I'm sure.
For me, to live is Christ and to die is gain. Phil. 1:21

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2014, 04:02:00 PM »
Forget apples to apples......rubber to wool will do!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Online 4dogs

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2014, 04:07:00 PM »
Originally posted by ron w:
Forget apples to apples......rubber to wool will do!
X2
>>>---TGMM, Family of the Bow--->

Online Burnsie

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2014, 04:42:00 PM »
I typically cut my Hush Puppies exactly in half.  I can do two strings with one set and they seems to work just as well.  I also cut my fairly short, usually 3/4" to 1 " on either side of the string.  It makes a real nicely shaped little puff ball.  A full size giant puff ball is too much for me,  but your mileage may vary.  A set of Bow Hush also has enough for two strings,  so one order of both the Hush and the Puppies gets me two strings that are super quiet. My Fox, High Sierra makes a barely audible dull thump.
"You can't get into a bar fight if you don't go to the bar" (Grandma was pretty wise)

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2014, 08:09:00 PM »
Great product, and a great guy to do a fair test... Looking forward to it bud....
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©