3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Ghillie suit recommendation please  (Read 832 times)

Offline South MS Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Ghillie suit recommendation please
« on: November 04, 2014, 11:16:00 PM »
I have a Leaf suit currently and it has worked for me in the past, but it has also contributed to the deer busting me due to noise.

I would like to get a "real" Ghillie suit and preferably a long coat style, that is lightweight, and must be noiseless.

Those that have used them please give me your recommendation on best ones out there, thanks.
Everything I have and have become is due to the Lord and his great mercy.

Offline beaunaro

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Ghillie suit recommendation please
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2014, 04:18:00 AM »
I have a "Sapper Suit" from allpredatorcalls.com.

It isn't your typical heavy string type construction (although they do make one like that).

This one is a mesh long coat with "shoot thru mesh camo strips attached.

It is really light weight, comes with a hood and flap to cover your face if you wish to use it.

I haven't noticed it to be noisy.

It hasn't legs to catch on all the weeds and brush, and the best part is it was only $60, so if it doesn't work for you, you are not out a whole lot....just donate it to St. Judes.
Irv Eichorst

Offline DaveT1963

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2014, 06:27:00 AM »
Originally posted by beaunaro:
I have a "Sapper Suit" from allpredatorcalls.com.

It isn't your typical heavy string type construction (although they do make one like that).

This one is a mesh long coat with "shoot thru mesh camo strips attached.

It is really light weight, comes with a hood and flap to cover your face if you wish to use it.

I haven't noticed it to be noisy.

It hasn't legs to catch on all the weeds and brush, and the best part is it was only $60, so if it doesn't work for you, you are not out a whole lot....just donate it to St. Judes.
X2
Everything has a price - the more we accept, the more the cost

Caribow Tuktu ET 53# @ 27 Inches
Thunderhorn takedown longbow 55# @ 27
Lots of James Berry Bows

Offline OBXarcher

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2014, 06:34:00 AM »
Rancho Safari long coat.  It is incredible, just wish it was cooler here in sc so I could wear it more.

Online Tom

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2014, 07:28:00 AM »
I also decided to try the sapper suit and staying on the ground this year. Have had a couple of close encounters and misses(different perspective)  but it has been a good season so far. Have had deer in heart in throat close and passed for various reasons but will take one eventually I'm sure. Sapper suit is light, and quiet, just needs some trimming on bow arm and chest.
The essence of the hunt for me is to enter nature and observe+ return safely occasionally with the gift of a life taken.

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2014, 07:39:00 AM »
I use a RS ultralight longcoat. It has no stringy materials, just flaps of material.  I won't trade it.  It has gotten me into so many close encounters I can't even count them.
ChuckC

Offline ISP 5353

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2014, 07:41:00 AM »
Make your own.  Cheaper and fun!  Wife and I made one in a weekend.  They will get you close to deer!

Online dhaverstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2014, 07:54:00 AM »
Bush Rag makes a good long coat at an affordable price. It uses bug suit material as a base and then has 3/4" netting sewn onto that. The ghillie threads are tied to the 3/4" netting. They are light and easy to repair when the threads start to wear over time.

Darren

Offline Bill Turner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2014, 07:55:00 AM »
Rancho Safari Long coat for me. Top quality. Will last a life time. $200 might sound expensive but when u are comparing it to the purchase of stands and accessories, not so much. I own the original, but I understand that they now offer a lighter weight model. Whatever you do, I would recommend staying with the long coat. The two piece suits(pants)are a pain.   :campfire:

Offline DaveT1963

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2014, 08:22:00 AM »
Each has its advantage.

Traditional Ghillie - PROS: nothing diffuses light better than a traditional ghillie.  Easy to use and make or add more material.  CONS:  burlap is smelly, snags on everything and it is hot and heavy - look out of it gets wet

Newer mesh Ghillie (like Kill Suit and newer Cabellas) PROS: very light weight, easy to fit in a pack, does not snag on everything and you can just throw it in the washer and they are CHEAP, and they can be worn over any combination of material   CONS:  can't easily add material, does not diffuse light as much

For me I love wearing a traditional ghillie when it is cool enough and there is not a lot of underbrush - but I find myself wearing my various Kill Suit combinations 95% of the time.  The sapper suit is all you really need as it covers down to mid thigh.  BTW - another advantage is that the Kill Suits are much easier to climb a tree with although I usually put mine on once I am in the stand.  Yes the right Ghillie is also very effective in trees.

Here is the difference between reg camo and ghillie.  Regular camo was invented to help you blend into environments and make it harder to outline or see you.  Ghillie suit camo was developed/perfected to remain undetected by an enemy actually looking for you.

I cannot prove it but I get away with a lot more slow movement with a ghillie then I ever have with any camo including the open patterns like predator and ASAT.  I've had deer and elk see me draw my bow with the ghillie but they seldom blow out of the area and very few became highly alerted.  Most just noticed me and then shrug it off as a non-threat.  That has been my experience withe the Sapper/kill suit as well.
Everything has a price - the more we accept, the more the cost

Caribow Tuktu ET 53# @ 27 Inches
Thunderhorn takedown longbow 55# @ 27
Lots of James Berry Bows

Offline Kopper1013

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2014, 08:34:00 AM »
http://www.ghilliesuits.com/BowHunterSuit.aspx

This is the one I have.... The bdu's they are attached to are nice and after a couple washed I've had zero problems with noise I've had deer and turkey's at 5 and less yards while wearing it. Love the suit only problem I do have is these yarn/string style suits pick up allot of woods dabrie and r hard to clean out.
Primitive archery gives yourself the maximum challenge while giving the animal the maximum chance to escape- G. Fred Asbell

Offline John Fragale

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2014, 08:37:00 AM »
Rancho Safari Longcoat, Camo color is called 4 seasons with burlap. The best i ever used. I tried them all. They are very warm, i don't put mine on until i reach my hunting area.

Offline BuckeyeRifleman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2014, 08:41:00 AM »
I have the Marc Anthony designed suit from bushrag. It's nice as its designed for bow hunters with no jute on the arm or chest. That said it doesn't stuff in a pack very well. I use a USMC surplus assault pack to carry it in the woods and can't fit much else in there. I often times don't wear the pants and just the jacket. The hood is annoying so I made my own ghillie hat out of an old boonie cover. I can tell you it does work, I recently had a groundhog almost run me over sitting on the ground.

I did however just purchase the ASAT 3d leafy suit and it seems way better. Compacts down into nothing, big enough to fit over all of my cold weather gear, and doesn't look like it will snag quite as bad as the ghillie if I decide to get up and walk around. Haven't worn it out in the field yet but I hear nothing but good reviews. It doesn't seem that loud to me, but folks just say you have to wash it a few times for the noise to go away.

Online huntmaster70

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2014, 10:16:00 AM »
I use the Sapper suit from Allpredator calls- light weight long coat w/hood. Works well & cheap!

Offline snowplow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2014, 11:17:00 AM »
I love my bushrag! I run the marc anthony one. I really agree with Dave T above.

Offline beaunaro

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2014, 11:53:00 AM »
Thanks for all the good info from your experience, Dave T.

Hadn't thought of wearing mine in a tree.

Good to hear they don't spook as much with the movement of drawing.

I'm going to have to give it a try.

:clapper:
Irv Eichorst

Offline Wandering Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2014, 02:59:00 PM »
those of you using the sapper suit, are you cutting away the material for bow shooting?

Offline 3Feathers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2014, 04:58:00 PM »
ASAT 3d suit........you will not be  seen.
HH Cheetah 66in. 48lb at 25in.
HH HalfBreed 66in. 57lb. at 27in.
HH Wesley Special  56lb. at 26in..
HH Big 5          64lb. at 28in.
HH Wesley Special 55lb. at 28in.
HH Redman         60lb. at 28in.
Simmmons sharks
2016 Legacys

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2014, 05:32:00 PM »
Make your own!!!!!  :thumbsup:  It's really not hard...

Go to the fabric store and get 3 yards of nylon mesh, like they make laundry bags from. Fold it in half,lengthwise. Then measure about 20" down from the fold on each side,then sew from that point to the bottom.(about 2/3ds of each side.) Cut a slit or hole for your head,and make a simple hood if you want and sew it on,or just make a facemask type hood to slip over your head. Whatever you prefer... Basicly, you're making a "Poncho" style.

Buy about 4 balls of colored Jewt twine and a "Rug hook" from the craft store. Then cut the twine into 12" pieces & go to town!!!

You can work on it as much as you like! You could work steady and finish it in a couple days... Or, work on it alittle each night,for a winter project. Have Fun!!!!!
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Offline South MS Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2014, 06:40:00 PM »
Sorry Guys for the delay in responding.

Ok for those with the Sapper suit in the 3D strips how much noise does this suit make when moving?

Let set a situation to clarify what i'm looking for.

Your in your hidy hole and have the suit on and it 6:10 pm and there no wind and you can hear a pin drop in a cotton pile quiet and deer at 10 yards.

How much noise will that deer pick up on while slowly drawing your bow back?

My current leaf suit is made out of a Polyester material and in these condition deer have lock in on the slightest sound.  and the material tend to have a velcro type locking effect between leaves.
Everything I have and have become is due to the Lord and his great mercy.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©