3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Testimonial: String Tracker  (Read 751 times)

Testimonial: String Tracker
« on: November 05, 2014, 10:37:00 AM »
I started using a String Tracker about 20yrs ago because I did a lot of night hunting for pigs. The string definitely helped with recovering pigs in the dark!

About 15yrs ago I got on a lease in S.Tx that was mostly brush. There were few places to get off the ground in trees and most all of our sets were ground blinds. We started putting shoot thru netting in the windows (which I absolutely love), so I quit using the String Tracker because I figured there was no way it would work shooting thru the netting.

Fast forward to about 2yrs ago. I was on Trad Gang one day when a thread about using String Trackers came up. It was started by our very own Jerry Russell. I posted on that thread how I liked it, and used to use it, but that I had quit due to my blinds having netting in the windows. Shortly thereafter, I got a PM from Jerry telling me that the String Tracker worked fine when shooting thru netting, and even sent me a few videos of shots he had made thru netting.

This got my interest up again, and I went and dug my old String Tracker out. I custom made a little bracket so I could mount it to my longbow, and decided to try to shoot a pig thru the netting to see if it would work.

The next trip to the lease, I was ready. I ended up shooting the biggest hog (weight wise) that I have ever shot. The String Tracker worked great thru the netting, and I was once again hooked on using it.

Over the last two years I have shot quite a few pigs, deer, and turkeys with the String Tracker thru the netting. I doubt I will ever turkey hunt again without the String Tracker, as it has really upped my recovery rate on those tough birds!

I do believe that most critters will go a bit farther when a String Tracker is used. I don't know if that is because of the bit of added extra noise at the shot, or if it because of the string running thru the animal. or maybe a combination of both.

I also know this: After my recent experiences with the String Tracker, I firmly believe that there are a number of animals not recovered, that had good, lethal shots and bad blood trails! The string has saved my butt a couple times on dead critters where there was little to no blood trail to follow.

There are situations where the String Tracker is not a good choice also. Managing the string while stalking is almost impossible as it gets hung up on brush. Also, any set where you only have very tiny holes thru the brush would not be a good place for the String Tracker. And lastly, I have never shot mine over 20yds; almost all my hunting shots are 15yds or less. Logic tells me that gravity has to have an effect on it at some point, so I would think that any situation where you had to take very long shots would be a no-go for the String Tracker.

The String tracker will not save a bad shot, but it can surely save a bad blood trail on a good shot. I am convinced that it is an effective tool and will continue to use it to help me recover the animals I shoot!

Bisch

Offline Caleb the bow breaker

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Testimonial: String Tracker
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2014, 11:00:00 AM »
Cool,  

Gonna have to try one of those some day.  Any thoughts on a bracket for a one piece recurve with no bushings??

C
Oh squeaky treestand, how I hate thee!

Online rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2014, 11:19:00 AM »
Nice pig Bisch! I like your setup.
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2014, 11:38:00 AM »
Congrats Bisch, Great Hog  :thumbsup:
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline beaunaro

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2014, 11:40:00 AM »
Great explanation.

Thanks for the info.

One heck of a nice hog.

Going to try to harvest my first Texas Javelina and hog in March.

We are going to Marfa for the Javelina and haven't selected a hog spot yet.

Maybe I will have to purchase a string tracker unit.

I suppose maybe it might fit onto the rubber strap gadget adapter sold by 3R?
Irv Eichorst

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2014, 11:56:00 AM »
Originally posted by Caleb the bow breaker:
Cool,  

Gonna have to try one of those some day.  Any thoughts on a bracket for a one piece recurve with no bushings??

C
Gadget Adapter sold by 3Rivers!

Bisch

Offline fnshtr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2014, 12:30:00 PM »
I used to use one... just got away from it. Renewed my interest. I'll have to dig mine out.

Thanks for the post!

Good hunting.
56" Kempf Kwyk Styk 50@28
54" Java Man Elkheart 50@28
WVBA Member
1 John 3:1

Offline Ryan Sanpei

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2014, 12:38:00 PM »
Sweet!

Thank you for sharing Bisch!!!

Offline MikeS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2014, 12:39:00 PM »
They can certainly be a great help when the blood trail is spotty.  I like them!
Mike

Offline johnnyk71

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2014, 01:58:00 PM »
what kind of string does it use? must be pretty tough not to break if the animal runs through thick brush or woods.
All lefty, all the time...
Martin Hatfield 45#@28"
Liberty Chief Elite 53#
Blacktail Elite V.L. 53#
Maddog Prairie Predator 51#
Sheepeater Spirit 50#
RER Retro 53#
RER LXR Recurve 52#, Longbow 54#

« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2014, 02:39:00 PM »
Originally posted by johnnyk71:
what kind of string does it use? must be pretty tough not to break if the animal runs through thick brush or woods.
The string is a 17 lb test string that looks a lot like dental floss.
It does break if the animal runs thru thick brush sometimes! That's OK, because it still gets you a little farther than you would have been without it if the blood trail is tough or non-existent!

Bisch

Offline MikeS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2014, 06:31:00 PM »
It's surprising how much line will pay out without getting tangled in the brush.  They aren't perfect, (what is?) but it sure can help recover game at times.

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2014, 06:32:00 PM »
They are very difficult to find!  I haven't owned one since the mid-80's.

« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2014, 06:36:00 PM »
They are actually easy to get, if you know where to look. I don't know if I can post the link or not, so I wont, but if you do a search for String Tracker, there is a turkey hunting website that will come up that has everything String Tracker. I just ordered 18 replacement spools of line from them a few weeks ago.

Bisch

Offline Lowrider

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2014, 06:47:00 PM »
Go to (turkey hunting secrets) look at top left corner of the page.

Offline snakebit40

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2014, 06:57:00 PM »
Always wanted to try one for turkey hunting. I can see a huge advantage to using them for sure, just haven't pulled the trigger on one yet. Thanks for the info!
Jon Richards

Isaiah 6:8 Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”.
>>>>------------>
Schafer Silvertip 71@28
Big River 60" 59@28

Offline Jerry Russell

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2014, 06:12:00 PM »
Most people that know me are probably tired of my preaching about the string trackers but I just know the power of this awesome tool.  

I shoot them 99% of the time on bear, hogs, deer and 100% of the time on turkey.  I have shot them non stop since they came out 25ish years ago and have seen a couple hundred animals taken with them. Many dozens of these animals would never have been recovered without a string tracker.

It should be said that there are some things that you need to know prior to using a tracker that will keep you from making the mistakes I made years ago.  After answering countless emails about unit setup, I just made a little video that will help with questions that you may have about the trackers.  It has been posted here before but as new people come to this great site we need to keep passing on the tricks of our game.

I hope this helps some of you. Good hunting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDJzhCZ8k9A&list=UUdL0nqTUdEPx4HWQEmjDvFQ&feature=player_detailpage

Offline CDK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2014, 10:26:00 PM »
Great ... what is a good way to attatch string to wood arrow with glue on broadhead??
Giddy Up !

Offline Jerry Russell

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2014, 08:09:00 AM »
If you have any taper at all behind the broadhead try this... Wrap the string one full turn around the shaft and then try a knot that will tighten down such as an improve clinch knot.  If no bevel is present, make a very light groove in only one area right at the back of the head.  Just something for the string to grab on to.  This very very light groove will prevent sliding as the blood will make the shaft very slippery.

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2014, 08:28:00 AM »
Thanks for the insight, Jerry.  I just bought a tracker and shoot wood as well.  My turkey arrows have Snuffers on them so I planned to tie to the ferrule on the Snuffer.  For solid heads I figured I'd tie as tight to the shaft as possible and if it slid up the shaft the fletch would hold the string.  I keep a roll of vinyl electricians tape in my bag and also thought about a wrap of that around the knot.
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©