3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: lost confidence  (Read 248 times)

Offline Florida bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
lost confidence
« on: November 05, 2014, 05:52:00 PM »
Man I have but all lost my confidence, went out stump shooting,  and shot high every time, even missed a gray squirrel at 5 yards....can drill target all day long but soon as I leave I start missing badly....at a loss for words

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: lost confidence
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2014, 06:13:00 PM »
Get out of the yard, and back in the woods!!!!!

Seriously... You've already proven you can shoot. Now, get out there and make it work, where it counts!!!!! In the woods...  :thumbsup:

Good Luck!!!!!!!!!!   :archer:
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Offline 23feetupandhappy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2014, 06:14:00 PM »
Go back to the basics and walk through every step, take your time and youll likely find something that has slipped a little in your form perhaps...............
  :thumbsup:
The Lord Is My Provider......

Offline DennyK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2014, 06:14:00 PM »
James, Try keeping your chin tucked near your shoulder when you shoot. I think you are raising your head up as you reach full draw.
Jeremiah 29:11 For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the LORD, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope.

Offline Florida bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2014, 06:21:00 PM »
Thanks denNY will do.....

Offline David Brent

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2014, 06:59:00 PM »
James,

I don't know your shooting style but by your post you shoot great at the target. When you are in the woods and picking a target..Relax, PICK A SPOT, and I mean put everything else out of your mind and focus on the bulls eye of the spot you are looking at, the center of the spot you are looking at and shoot, keeping your eye on the spot even after the shot. I've heard from a few great archers that "the bulls eye on a beach ball is the same size as the one on an aspirin." So discipline yourself to narrow in on the spot. I think Byron Ferguson stated that.
I have had my problems over the years but this discipline seems to bring everything back into line.
Hope I can help.

Dave
Bob Lee Exotic 54#
Bob Lee Signature Hunter 55#
Bob Lee Hunter Takedown 56#
Brackenberry O'l Timer Longbow 53#
Martin Hunter 55#

Offline Diamond Paul

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2014, 09:20:00 PM »
I think everyone goes through spells like that.  Take a couple of days off, come back fresh.  Do some shooting at point blank range on the bag just for form, forget about aiming and trying to hit anything.  Just work on the feel you want.  Even Ted Williams had slumps.  It passes.  Good luck.
“Sometimes the shark go away, sometimes he wouldn’t go away.” Quint, from Jaws

Offline Kopper1013

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2014, 09:30:00 PM »
Bad day, bad couple days maybe, shrug it off don't let it get to you (easyer said than done) the more you think about it the more it's gonna eat you up the worse you'll get. At least that's how it works for me hahaha
Primitive archery gives yourself the maximum challenge while giving the animal the maximum chance to escape- G. Fred Asbell

Offline Jock Whisky

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2014, 10:33:00 PM »
When you are shooting at a target are you paying more attention to correct shooting technique than you are when stump shooting. Happens to me sometimes. I get having too much fun and lose concentration when I'm in the woods. When it happens I kinda remind myself to pay attention
Old doesn't start until you hit three figures...and then it's negotiable

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2014, 11:00:00 PM »
This is not an easy game for most people. It is at least as hard as golf, where a lot of people work for years trying to shoot in the 80's.  Some lucky few will shoot in the 70's within a year or so of taking up the game without seeming to have to try that hard, but most people will struggle to shoot in the '80's, and quite a few never get there.

The thing about archery, or golf, for that matter, is to not measure yourself against anyone else or some arbitrary standard. It's difficult, because you look at someone else you know, or read something in a book, and think that after the amount of time you've put in, you should be able to put all your arrows in a 6" circle at 20 yards or be able to consistently hit pine cones at a similar distance.

But if you set those goals for yourself, you won't ever really enjoy archery.  The enjoyment of archery comes from experiencing each shot, whether you're alone or in the company of like-minded others.  If you do that, you will progress, at your own rate, and after a few years, you might look back and say "Wow!  I couldn't do that shot a few years ago, and now I take it for granted!"
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline warbird

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2014, 07:39:00 AM »
I practice in my basement a maximum range of 20yds. I get so confident with my basement range it feels easy. I like to make up homemade targets out of gallon jugs and toss them around the yard on a nice day. I can practice shots at different yardages outside the comfort zone of my basement range. I like to challenge myself with difficult shots with a small tollerance for error. I practice these shots and they eventually prove to be a confidence booster. There is a mental aspect to this game and it can be frustrating at times. Sometimes I take a breather get myself together and try again. Dont give up, practice and set the bar higher at times and you will see the benefits.
A man has to have a code, a way of life to live by.
John Wayne

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2014, 11:10:00 AM »
Originally posted by McDave:
This is not an easy game for most people. It is at least as hard as golf, where a lot of people work for years trying to shoot in the 80's.  Some lucky few will shoot in the 70's within a year or so of taking up the game without seeming to have to try that hard, but most people will struggle to shoot in the '80's, and quite a few never get there.

The thing about archery, or golf, for that matter, is to not measure yourself against anyone else or some arbitrary standard. It's difficult, because you look at someone else you know, or read something in a book, and think that after the amount of time you've put in, you should be able to put all your arrows in a 6" circle at 20 yards or be able to consistently hit pine cones at a similar distance.

But if you set those goals for yourself, you won't ever really enjoy archery.  The enjoyment of archery comes from experiencing each shot, whether you're alone or in the company of like-minded others.  If you do that, you will progress, at your own rate, and after a few years, you might look back and say "Wow!  I couldn't do that shot a few years ago, and now I take it for granted!"
^---------Read, read again.  KEEP AT IT!!
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2014, 11:26:00 AM »
Get some judos and stop shooting the target. take the judos out and shoot some stumps and grass. Practice like you play.

I very rarely shoot at a critter with the same form I use on a target range. Only thing a target range teaches you is how to shoot with perfect form. Hunting isn't like that.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2014, 12:27:00 PM »
Originally posted by McDave:

I don't think it could have been said better than Dave just did.... But you need to practice more in the woods and learn to pick a tiny spot EVERY time you shoot....the expression "Aim small, miss small"  Is HUGE!

When you are in the woods shooting or even on the practice range in your yard, you will shoot much better if you just relax and trust your instincts, and don't consciously think about what you are doing...Focus on your spot and guide the arrow to it with your bow like you are steering the arrow with your bow hand.... The follow through is very important..... i've taught a lot of beginners this little trick of guiding your arrow with your bow and it teaches them to follow through without thinking about it...

I tell them to pretend that there is a string attached to each arrow you shoot that goes straight across the shelf. When you release the arrow, you hold the end of that imaginary string behind your ear and steer the arrow towards the bulls eye with your bow arm..... Try this some time brutha... its incredible what it will do for your consistency and form....  Kirk

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©