3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Broadhead failure  (Read 1107 times)

Offline Todd Brickel

• Trad Bowhunter
Broadhead failure
« on: November 05, 2014, 10:46:00 PM »
So guys this is a topic that has been top of mind lately, and I'm wrestling with the issue of success and broadhead failure.

So I've taken animals with zwickey deltas, magnus I, magnus vented 4blade, razorcaps, magnus stingers, woodsman, stos, and bear razorheads.  They all work, and as they say "dead animals don't lie."

My issue is that when a head does it's job, but is not usable again is it broadhead failure or not.  I want to think that i should be able to use a head over and over until i decide to retire it, but i seem to be expriencing more instances of a head breaking, coming apart, bending and such.

And then to go not too far off topic, but these are good heads, so how the heck do these mechanicals and replacement blades ever stay together?

I was reading Danny's thread on the new RMSG Cutthroat head, and it seems they too are trying to address broadhead breaking issues, and i like where they are going, But i don't want a 200+ grn.

So do i have realistic expectations and an accurate job description for my broadheads, or have i set my expectations too high?

Any suggestions on great flying, durable, consistently reusable 150 grn head?

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Broadhead failure
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2014, 10:59:00 PM »
VPA

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2014, 11:02:00 PM »
German Kinetic (Standard - 1 1/8" or XL - 1 1/2"). Thats all I use and have only broken one out of a gazillion shots; good shots, bad shots, misses, rocks, stumps!

Plus, you won't find a sharper out-of-the-box head anywhere!

Bisch

Offline Benjy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2014, 11:14:00 PM »
I have killed 4 deer this year with the same Grizzly 3 blade Instinct head.

With the huge selection of carbon shafts it is relatively easy to shoot a 10 grain per pound of draw weight arrow with the heavier head. This head is 200 grains and then I add an aluminum broad head adapter that is 42 grains for a total head weight of 242 grains.

I know this is 100 grains heavier than you wanted but this is working very well for me...

Benjy
TGMM Family of the Bow
ZIPPER NITRO 64" LONGBOW 50#@29"
ZIPPER SXT   60" RECURVE 52#@29"
ZIPPER SXT   64" LONGBOW 71#@29"

Offline Bullfrog 1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2014, 11:27:00 PM »
VPA is a great head. But a 150 grain Stinger is hard to beat. Not as tough but the best flying broad head I have ever tried.  Bill

Offline Boomerang

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2014, 06:21:00 AM »
Originally posted by damascusdave:
VPA

DDave
Yep, what he said.  :thumbsup:

Offline goingoldskool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2014, 06:36:00 AM »
I'm impressed with Simmons....

Rodd
"NO GOD, NO PEACE-KNOW GOD, KNOW PEACE" side of a barn along I-70, eastern Kansas
                                             Rodd Boyer
Blk Widow PL-III
53#@28
Blk Widow PSR X
50#@28

Offline BRIARS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2014, 07:42:00 AM »
The thing I like about the stingers is the guarantee if they are damaged just send back for a replacement.

Offline drewsbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2014, 08:13:00 AM »
vpa gets my vote
Try to be the person your dog thinks you are :0)
TGMM Family of the Bow
N.Y. Bowhunters member
BigJim 3 pc buffalo 48@28
BigJim thunderchild 55@31
BigJim thunderchild 55@32 Jim's bow

Offline Bob B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2014, 08:37:00 AM »
I have never had an ACE let me down.  They are simple, tough and easy to sharpen.  I get great penetration, have broken bones with them, and once cleaned up  are ready for more.  My buddy, while hog hunting once, shot a hog clean through with one of my arrows.  The hog ran off and he picked up the arrow. After a short track finished off the hog with another pass through shot into the dirt.  He gave me my arrow back and the head was still sharp.

I love ACE broad-heads.

Bob.
66"  Osage Royale    57lbs@29
68"  Shrew Hill      49lbs@29
68"  Deathwish       51lbs@29
68"  Morning Star    55lbs@29
68"  Misty Dawn      55lbs@29

Offline bowtough

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2014, 08:50:00 AM »
Abowyer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!    :thumbsup:

Online Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2014, 08:54:00 AM »
Many viable choices.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2014, 09:21:00 AM »
No matter how tough a head is you will never get them all back. If you want a tougher head buy one. They are out there. Most the vented type heads are more prone to bend or break. Go with a solid model. With solid comes more weight though. Its a tradeoff.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline Kopper1013

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2014, 09:34:00 AM »

Posted this pic in another topic, but these are grizzlysticks samurai single bevel heads at 150grs. Love these heads, expensive but the steel is thick and tough. I like to see the animal of rock that breaks them up to a point I can't put an edge back on them.
Primitive archery gives yourself the maximum challenge while giving the animal the maximum chance to escape- G. Fred Asbell

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2014, 01:28:00 PM »
Question one, if the head fails in the process of doing its job, to me it is still a failure and I would look at the circumstances that caused it.  As for a strong head, there are many options.  The Ace Standard in 145 or 160 gr is virtually indestructible, Grizzlies are tough as are VPA's.  I would not hesitate to shoot a Zwickey at anything.
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2014, 02:45:00 PM »
I kinda agree with you fletcher.  If the head failed at any point then it may have been able to do the job better.  OTOH, todds list of broadheads used to take various animals is longer than my list of animals taken (big game)  :)  

The Ace 145 worked very well for me and when weighed, the differences from head to head were only slight.  Others I've weighed have varied a lot!

The only animal I ever took with a Magnus (125 two blade) resulted in a bent blade from contact with a bone.  Also resulted in a dead deer so take that FWIW!
Monterey

"I didn't say all that stuff". - Confucius........and Yogi Berra

Offline JMG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2014, 03:07:00 PM »
Steel Force Hellfire 4 blade at 150 grains!! Never had "broadhead failure", even after a shoulder blade hit. I have been blessed to have harvested several nice animals with them. 3 Rivers sells them.

Offline Kris

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2014, 04:51:00 PM »

"...but I seem to be experiencing more instances of a head breaking, coming apart, bending and such."

To me this constitutes failure but killing an animal successfully is not...obviously.  The heads you mention should be able to be used over and over again.

Kris

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2014, 05:03:00 PM »
I guess I could elaborate.  If the head fails with a good hit or on light bone like a deer rib or thin part of the shoulder blade I would be looking for another head.  If I mess up and hit solid bone, rock or an osage branch I can accept that the head bends or a weld gives.  So far, I've not had a broadhead fail when I didn't think it should have.
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline mike g

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2014, 06:17:00 PM »
I consider a kill as the Broadhead doing it's job....
    I think of them as expendable....I go beaver hunting and If I get to use the whole arrow twice, I'm happy. Heck, I went thru 8 arrows in one night....
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©