3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Broadhead failure  (Read 1105 times)

Online fnshtr

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Broadhead failure
« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2014, 06:29:00 PM »
I've killed two deer this year with a glue on, 125 grain MA-II... made by Magnus. On the second deer the cedar arrow got broken and I removed the head and put it on another shaft. Touched it up a bit and it is still shaving hair.

I had a Magnus Stinger, 125, break in half... but was replaced for free. Great warranty... good head. It struck a large elk in the shoulder bone which was not the BHs fault (mine).

Lots of good heads without breaking the bank.

My worst problem is losing them!

My vote is YES... if the BH is unusable after taking game, it failed. I expect better.
56" Kempf Kwyk Styk 50@28
54" Java Man Elkheart 50@28
WVBA Member
1 John 3:1

Offline SlowBowinMO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2014, 07:29:00 PM »
There are some really, really tough heads most of which have been mentioned but I just don't think you will find indestructible.

The toughest head we sell IMO which has not been mentioned are the Eclipse 2 blade glue on heads.
"Down-Log Blind at Misty River"

Offline Jerry Jeffer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2014, 07:40:00 PM »
Originally posted by bowtough:
Abowyer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!     :thumbsup:  
X2
I will give thanks to the LORD because of his righteousness and will sing praise to the name of the LORD Most High.

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2014, 08:00:00 PM »
Abowyer x 3 Just a great head!

Offline Hummer3T

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2014, 08:13:00 PM »

I have one head that has killed an elk and mountain goat and looks like and feels (with a wee touch up on the edges that it is out of the box still.

(look up silver flame -originals)
German Kinetics all the way, expensive but like you say, when you can use them for many years, well worth it.

210 grains
Life is about learning from your mistakes!

Chek-mate hunter I 62" riser with 60" limbs 49&42lbs@28

Samick Sage 62" 50lbs@28

Big Jim Mountain Monarch Recurve  60 inch / 50 lbs @ 28

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: November 06, 2014, 09:13:00 PM »
Originally posted by mike g:
I consider a kill as the Broadhead doing it's job....
    I think of them as expendable....I go beaver hunting and If I get to use the whole arrow twice, I'm happy. Heck, I went thru 8 arrows in one night....
I think i would use a fishing set up on hunting beavers.... save on arrows big time...

I think a guy has gotta draw a line somewhere when you are talking about pass though arrows hitting rocks in the dirt. Even the best made broadheads won't put up with too much of that.

Now when they start folding up hitting a shoulder blade or a leg bone, you may want to consider sticking with good solid 3 blades like VPA or the new Instinct design Bill Dunn is selling. Or good solid 2 blades with thicker steel and a tanto tip grind.

I had great success with the original woodsman broadheads, but i've folded up a few too.

Online dnovo

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: November 06, 2014, 09:22:00 PM »
Broadhead failure is not something I worry about.In 40 years of big game hunting I have never had one bend or break. I mainly use Zwickey Deltas or Magnus I and now some No Mercy. I have a couple still stuck in deer vertebrae and have broken leg bones with them. I have a Delta on a cedar shaft right now that has killed 3 deer and I am looking for another this weekend.
PBS regular
UBM life member
Compton

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: November 06, 2014, 09:39:00 PM »
I have a single STOS that has been through three deer.  The first one I had to dig out of the roots of a tree that was behind the deer.  Sharpens right back up after each use.

I had a batch of blue painted Zwicky Eskimo II heads that several have popped apart at the spot welds.  I use them on small game so it could be a stump or the rocks behind a bunny or squirrel.  Even those I just silver solder back together and they're ready once again.  But they are relegated to small game bacause of the several failures.  My Rib-Tecs at that time shrugged off the same treatment with no failures.  

I would consider a broadhead that fails, even though the deer dies, a weak head.  Most time my wood arrows are broken - that's expected.  But I also expect the head to be reuseable.  Otherwise I don't really know it can be trusted if it strikes a large bone in the deer.  Maybe it was just luck I hit the deer where I did and a bit off the head would have let me down?  It should hold up and put all it's energy into splitting and cutting instead of breaking up.
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline Todd Brickel

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: November 06, 2014, 10:12:00 PM »
Thanks for all the input and suggestions fellas, i ordered some Abowyer Bonehead lites today along with some 35 grn titanium adapters. Completed they will be 155grns.

We'll see what happens, but they look beefy enough to take a beating and keep on kill'n.

Offline mike g

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: November 09, 2014, 12:13:00 PM »
KirkII
    There's a lot of Regs on hunting Beaver....
No gafs, No line attached to arrow etc....
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Offline jackdaw

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: November 09, 2014, 01:12:00 PM »
I cannot imagine a grizzly broadhead coming apart in the line of duty..
John Getz:........... Time flies like an arrow, Fruit flies like bananas.
Ed HOLCOMB 59' KODIAK 51#
Ed HOLCOMB 59' KODIAK 47#
67'1/2  BEAR SUPER K  44#
WILSON BROTHERS BLACK WIDOW 60" 45#
LONGRIVER ELK 62" LONGBOW 53#
1967 WING 62" SLIMLINE 43#

Online Walt Francis

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: November 09, 2014, 09:55:00 PM »
I had the same problem with Zwickey's, separating at the welds.  I know thousands of people swear by them.  However, every time I look at one my mind goes back 25 years back and I see six new heads with failed welds.  Therefore, I have zero confidence in Zwickey's and will not use them.

I have never had a failure with a glue on Eclipse (haven't tried their WareWolf?), Grizzly, or VPA.  The 145 grain Eclipse with bleeders is my prefered head, but I do have a couple of the new Instinct's in the quiver this year that I'd rate on par with the VPA.
The broadhead used, regardless of how sharp, is nowhere as important as being able to place it in the correct spot.

Walt Francis

Regular Member of the Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline zwickey2bl

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: November 09, 2014, 10:52:00 PM »
I've never destroyed a Zwickey Delta. Have several with multiple kills to their credit. But thats all I've ever used.

Online stagetek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: November 09, 2014, 11:16:00 PM »
Too many variables to think that any head can survive anything. I hunt where there are a lot of rocks. Tough on heads. Shoulder bones do significant damage. All kinds of things will ruin or damage a head. Just the way it is.

Offline SlowBowinMO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: November 10, 2014, 08:24:00 AM »
Originally posted by Walt Francis:
I had the same problem with Zwickey's, separating at the welds.  I know thousands of people swear by them.  However, every time I look at one my mind goes back 25 years back and I see six new heads with failed welds.  Therefore, I have zero confidence in Zwickey's and will not use them.

Walt just an FYI Zwickey started copper brazing their heads about 10 years ago, they are much, much stronger than the Zwickey heads of old.

Eclipse are awesome too though and IMO the toughest head we sell.
"Down-Log Blind at Misty River"

Offline dragonheart

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: November 10, 2014, 09:07:00 AM »
The most durable broadhead I have found is the Woodsman Elite or VPA machined heads.  I have shot a buck and a sow this year, both total pass thru, both arrows unbent (2117 aluminum) with vanes.
I have washed the arrows off, put them on the spin testor and evaluated the BH.  I just touched up the heads and both are back in my quiver ready to go.  The Woodsman elite, while pricey, is the most durable.
If this is a concern I would avoid any BH with aluminum feral and never use the aluminum adapters (screw in) adapters that fit inside the BH.  Too WEAK.  This is my experience.  I have seen BH failure that ruins penetration.  The BH is the most important part of your bowhunting equipment.  

Keep'em sharp, very sharp...
Jeff
Longbows & Short Shots

Offline dragonheart

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: November 10, 2014, 09:10:00 AM »
Originally posted by Walt Francis:
X2  They may have improved but there are just better BH out there today to use.  I am growing to be a big fan of the three blade Woodman elite.
Longbows & Short Shots

Offline dragonheart

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: November 10, 2014, 09:11:00 AM »
;)
Longbows & Short Shots

Offline sveltri

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: November 10, 2014, 09:45:00 AM »
Cutthroat by RMSGear.  I piece machined head.

Offline hvyhitter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: November 10, 2014, 11:24:00 AM »
Who came up with the standard that boadheads should last forever? If it kills as it should then it worked. Over the years I've had heads with multiple kills, others a bit tweeked or bent after one kill. They didnt "fail" but were no longer serviceable. There is a difference. 750gr arrows out of 60+ bows are hard on any broadhead.................
Bowhunting is "KILL and EAT" not "Catch and Release".....Semper Fi!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©