3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Two Track String Scallops  (Read 1422 times)

Offline SELFBOW19953

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Two Track String Scallops
« Reply #60 on: November 08, 2014, 02:13:00 PM »
Biskit, To silence kids, all you do is put 1 scallop in each of your ears-instant silence!!!

Chuck, you trying to look like me??  You'll have to paint your beard white.  Have you caught it in your bowstring yet?  Definitely gets your attention!!
SELFBOW19953
USAF Retired (1971-1991)
"Somehow, I feel that arrows made of wood are more in keeping with the spirit of old-time archery and require more of the archer himself than a more modern arrow."  Howard Hill from "Hunting The Hard Way"

Offline 2treks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #61 on: November 08, 2014, 02:23:00 PM »
Not caught in my string, but I have whipped it up into my eyes.
I try to swoosh it out of the way.
....and the white is coming all by its self   :)
C.A.Deshler
United States Navy.
1986-1990

"Our greatest fear should not be of failure but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter.”
~ Francis Chan

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #62 on: November 08, 2014, 08:03:00 PM »
Chuck, another niche product for you to think about...

Coasters.

I'd even share some of this to test them out:

Offline 2treks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #63 on: November 09, 2014, 07:36:00 AM »
Hummmmmmmm
and
YUM!
C.A.Deshler
United States Navy.
1986-1990

"Our greatest fear should not be of failure but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter.”
~ Francis Chan

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #64 on: November 10, 2014, 04:10:00 PM »
Chuck,
I got my Scallops today, wow how quickly!  You're a class act Chuck  ;)   THANK YOU.  Can't wait to try them.  

-Chuck
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #65 on: November 11, 2014, 03:10:00 PM »
Had some time today to try out the Scallops.  The bow to be tested was my 56" Java Man Elkheart.

I currently have a 12 strand Rhino skinny string on it from LRU.  The string had a single pair of Allen's smaller size rubber cat whiskers on it at the 1/4 points.

As tuned with that string, at 9.6 gpp, the bow was exactly how I like a bow to be sound-wise...nice low tone and 'd@mn quiet' LOL.

I shot my bow as-is for a bit to establish a 'baseline", then I cut the rubber whiskers off...

First off, it was wild that the rubber from the whiskers weighed more than the whole bag of four pairs of Scallops!!  These things are seriously light weight.  Again, four pairs of Scallops including the bag they came in was lighter than the rubber I cut off my string.  

They are not as large as I thought they would be in person.  I immediately mused that using two pairs on one bow would certainly be an option if necessary.  Chuck mentioned making mini-Scallops at a later date.  Without having yet installed them I questioned whether that would even be necessary.  

Yup, they were  indeed a piece of cake to install.  They definitely appear to be far more durable than plain wool puffs, no doubt about it.  

I played with various locations on the string with one pair, shot the bow, played some more, shot the bow, messed with BH a little, shot the bow.  I tried "heterodyning" placing one pair at offset locations as well as same location.

With one pair I found the bow to be about as quiet as the rubber whiskers, however the pitch had definitely gotten higher and as I suspected, I definitely picked up some speed as my arrows were hitting higher than usual.  

At this point I had no problem with the sound volume, but I definitely wanted back the lower note that the rubber had.  

I proceeded to install a second pair of Scallops.  Then played some more.  

My final and most pleasing result which mimiced the tone of the pair of rubber whiskers most closely was two pairs of Scallops at 12" and 17" from each limb tip on my 56" Elkheart and my brace height at 7 7/8", 1/8" higher than it was with the rubber.

This is very interesting, because with this setup the bow obviously picked up speed vs the rubber...honesty, how could it not with as much as the rubber weighed.

I would say that the double Scallop setup is a win.  I'm very pleased.  

Please take note that YOUR mileage will likely vary per bow model/design and your ears of course      ;)  

PS:  It is SO SO easy to move them back and forth for tuning!

52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©