3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: how do you get your broadheads "true"?  (Read 488 times)

Offline DanielB89

• Trad Bowhunter
how do you get your broadheads "true"?
« on: November 06, 2014, 09:18:00 AM »
I am wondering how do you fellas get your glue on heads true on a broadhead adapter?  

Is the glue that big jim sells safe for this?  (Quick stick hot melt glue)
"Blessed is the man who trusts in the LORD And whose trust is the LORD. Jeremiah 17:7

"There is a way which seems right to a man,
But its end is the way of death."  Proverbs 14:12

Offline threeunder

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: how do you get your broadheads "true"?
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2014, 10:03:00 AM »
I use one of the Dixon broadhead aligners.
Ken Adkins

Never question a man's choice in bows or the quality of an animal he kills.  He is the only one who has to be satisfied with either of those choices.

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2014, 10:06:00 AM »
I spin all mine and just keep messing till they spin true.  I notice that often, if they are not well seated (even though I thought they were) they will not spin true.

Spinning can be done on a flat hard surface or by using a spinner device.  Note. .  if you have sharpened the head, make certain that the sharpening job did not offset the point enough to make it LOOK like it is untrue.

ChuckC

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2014, 10:17:00 AM »
I use this homemade alignment jig. I heat the point lightly and slowly rotate it against the board watching the point against the board and play with it until it spins true.

Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline beaunaro

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2014, 10:22:00 AM »
One thing I will add that I didn't know, but recently learned on another thread is that:

A broadhead adapter isn't properly seated unless it goes in all the way flush. This is due to air being trapped up front. Sometimes it takes a lot of push, the right amount of melted glue,and some rotation to get them seated.

Since learning that, I've got a few to re-do.

Also, I had some two blade, single bevel Grizzlys that looked as though they had some wobble. (I use a horizontal arrow roller tool with the tip of the head up against a solid point like a label on a jar or such, to see if the tip wobbles compared to the stationary object.)

I could not get all of the wobble out of some of my heads no matter how much re-glueing and rotation I did. It wasn't a lot, but not perfect.

Finally, in frustration, I took those heads out and shot them. After several shots they flew just as well as the ones without any wobble, so I figured that was the ultimate test.
Irv Eichorst

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2014, 01:46:00 PM »
I mount the broadhead and spin it on my thumbnail. If it wobbles I twist it a bit and try again, and again if necessary until I feel no wobble.
 I use the gold stick stuff from 3ivers or some home made stuff someone sent me in a trade.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2014, 01:48:00 PM »
I use this gizmo, about the same as Reddogge above.

Yes, the Quick Stick is great for this.
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline Bladepeek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2014, 01:50:00 PM »
I've thought of cutting a couple shallow grooves in the ridges of the adapter to allow glue and air to escape similar to the grooved dowels used for doweled glue joints.

I may just try that next time I glue some up.
60" Bear Super K LH 40#@28
69" Matt Meacham LH 42@28
66" Swift Wing LH 35@28
54" Java Man Elk Heart LH 43@28
62"/58" RER LXR LH 44/40@28

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2014, 02:14:00 PM »
I screw the new adapter in the arrow, then I put the broadhead in a holder and pretty forcefully twist the adapter into the head (no glue) just to make sure they are seated as well as they can be.

I then put broadhead on my finger if not too sharp pointed and spin the shaft to feel any whobble. If it doesn't spin true, I twist it a 1/16" and spin again. Repeat until I find the most true spin. Once I find the spot I take a marker and draw a straight line on the shaft and the broadhead where they will line up later when I add glue.

I then take a cuetip and acetone and wipe the inside of the broadhead and the adapter down.

Then I heat and melt glue on the adapter. Then I quickly set the head onto adapter and spin it down fairly hard until I get the lines matched up.

At that point most are tuned, but if not I spin on a nail board like Fletchers above. Finding the low spin of the tip of the head and then push down on the low spot of the tip to move the tip up to center. Then re-spin on nail board and spin the shaft on my finger tip for final approval. (Yeah I know, you motherly types out there are grim-messing right now but I've been doing that for years without incident so its hard to teach old dogs new tricks. I still don't wear a helmet if I ride a bike either.)         :eek:        

A slow setting melt-able glue is key in this process and I get mine from the grizzly broadhead site.

http://grizzlybroadheads.com/adapters.html
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline Diamond Paul

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2014, 04:38:00 PM »
I never had any luck with glue-ons, myself, so I switched to the Woodsman Elites, which have always spun out of the box.  I also true the arrow ends and inserts with the G2 tool.  However, I had a friend that trued his glue-ons up with an arrow straightener, which has rollers and a dial indicator to detect run-out.  He just rolled them till the indicator moved, then pressed down with handle that straightens the arrow till he had zero run out.  His broadheads spun like tops, too.  Don't know what those devices cost, though.
“Sometimes the shark go away, sometimes he wouldn’t go away.” Quint, from Jaws

Offline bigbadjon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2014, 05:59:00 PM »
Arrow straighteners with the runout indicater are pretty spendy... generally over $100. However its a small price if you shoot aluminums exclusively. I would recommend Pine Ridge's arrow spinner to all archers. It works well and only costs about $30.
Hoyt Tiburon 55#@28 64in
A&H ACS CX 61#@28in 68in (rip 8/3/14)

Offline Diamond Paul

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2014, 09:12:00 PM »
Does Dixson still make the broadhead aligner?  I don't see it on any of the trad websites anymore.  Been wanting to put that on my Christmas wish list if I can find one.
“Sometimes the shark go away, sometimes he wouldn’t go away.” Quint, from Jaws

Offline DanielB89

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2014, 10:49:00 PM »
Paul, this is what you're looking for.

https://www.simmonssharks.com/accessories/spin-box-broadhead-aligner

I just ordered one today.
"Blessed is the man who trusts in the LORD And whose trust is the LORD. Jeremiah 17:7

Offline Fattony77

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2014, 12:13:00 AM »
Terry from the Nocking Point shared a tip with me on this subject fairly recently...

While the glue is still warm, (and with the adapter screwed into the arrow) mount the broadhead, drop the arrow straight down on the tip. Preferably onto something solid, like a piece of wood or stone. Gravity and the weight of the arrow seats the adapter in the broadhead evenly.

I've tried it a couple of times and it seems to be working well.

Hope that helps.

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter

Offline BigJim

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2014, 06:39:00 AM »
The quick stick hot melt we sell works excellent on all types of arrow materials, carbon, wood, aluminum and steel..oh yeah, brass too.

thanks, bigjim
http://www.bigjimsbowcompany.com/      
I just try to live my life in a way that would have made my father proud.

Offline DanielB89

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2014, 09:43:00 AM »
Originally posted by BigJim:
The quick stick hot melt we sell works excellent on all types of arrow materials, carbon, wood, aluminum and steel..oh yeah, brass too.

thanks, bigjim
Jim, the only problem that i was having is how fast the glue dries.  It is a product that I use for everything, but man does it dry quick!

Offline J-dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2014, 02:39:00 PM »
Yeah got a spin box ordered -- after reading this I had plans on a new project making one but then saw the simmons post -- worth it !
Always be stubborn.

Captain hindsight to the rescue!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©