3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Speed loss going to longbow  (Read 1900 times)

Offline Ray Johnson

• Trad Bowhunter
Speed loss going to longbow
« on: November 06, 2014, 09:20:00 AM »
I had a Black Widow PSA that I just sold to buy a new Roy Hall Apache longbow/hybrid.It is 45#@28" and my BW was 44#@28".I draw 28".with a 440gr 15/35 Gold Tip with a 175gr fp I was shooting 172 with my BW.I'm shooting the exact same arrow out of my Apache and it is 157fps.That is a 15fps loss and my arrows are dropping 6" at twenty yards.I love the bow.It's smooth,great looking,and very quiet which is the main reason I sold my BW and went to a longbow.Can anyone explain the speed loss or are these bows that much slower?

Offline DanielB89

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Speed loss going to longbow
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2014, 09:34:00 AM »
Originally posted by Ray Johnson:
I had a Black Widow PSA that I just sold to buy a new Roy Hall Apache longbow/hybrid.It is 45#@28" and my BW was 44#@28".I draw 28".with a 440gr 15/35 Gold Tip with a 175gr fp I was shooting 172 with my BW.I'm shooting the exact same arrow out of my Apache and it is 157fps.That is a 15fps loss and my arrows are dropping 6" at twenty yards.I love the bow.It's smooth,great looking,and very quiet which is the main reason I sold my BW and went to a longbow.Can anyone explain the speed loss or are these bows that much slower?
well, GENERALLY a recurve will out perform a longbow.  It has a lot to do with the design of the limbs(which is why some recurves are faster than others with the same weight arrows).  

I am not familiar with the Apache longbow, but I own a black widow and it makes shooting any other bow hard due to how well I feel it performs.  Though I don't have a chrono, I know that It shoots a pretty flat trajectory out to around 30 yards or so.  But i do shoot lighter arrows(around 9gpp).
"Blessed is the man who trusts in the LORD And whose trust is the LORD. Jeremiah 17:7

"There is a way which seems right to a man,
But its end is the way of death."  Proverbs 14:12

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2014, 09:46:00 AM »
Different designs have different results! BW's are known to be a somewhat fast design. Comparing two different bows like that is apples to oranges.

If you really like the feel of the new bow, you just have to shoot it enough till you get used to its trajectory. If you decide you just can't stand that trajectory and really want a hybrid longbow, you are just going to have to go find one that is faster by design and fits in your hand!

Bisch

Online David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2014, 09:57:00 AM »
You may have dropped a bit of draw length as well--not uncommon going from recurve to longbow--even a hybrid style can normally have a lower wrist grip that can shorten things up a bit on draw length. I have owned Roy's bows and found them to perform really well.  Of course, speed doesn't mean that much to me. I much prefer a quiet shooting, stable bow.
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Offline Scott Barr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2014, 10:08:00 AM »
Ray,  I have two PSAs.  One at about the draw weight you mention.  Similar fps on my chrono.  I have had several long bows. All quiet and light, which is what I love about long bows.  However, all but ones with carbon limbs, like ACS, shot slower at the same weight.  With 8.5" brace height, cat whiskers 15" and 9" from the end of the string, and a sticktamer, my PSAs are nearly as quiet as a long bow.  Hard to beat combo.  Which is why I keep returning to BWs.

Online Archie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2014, 10:14:00 AM »
Draw length is measured from the nock on the string to the far side of the shelf.  Your longbow  most likely has a thinner riser than the PSA.  That means that the longbow has to be pulled back another half inch or so to reach 28 inches, as it was measured and determined by the bowyer.  While the distance from the deepest part of the grip to the corner of your mouth is the same for both bows, the PSA was measured at 28", and included (let's say) a 2" riser.  So, grip to anchor would be 26 inches.  The longbow riser being thinner (let's say 1"), if you draw it the same 26" from grip to anchor, the bowyer is going to say it is only drawn to 27", which means the bow is a hair lighter than you think it is.

That's most likely why you see such a difference.
Life is a whole lot easier when you just plow around the stump.

2006  64" Black Widow PMA
2009  66" Black Widow PLX
2023  56" Cascade Archery Whitetail Hawk
2023  52" Cascade Archery Golden Hawk Magnum

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2014, 10:25:00 AM »
I agree with the draw length solution.  Losing 1" of draw could mean a loss of 5-10 fps...or even more.

Use of a chronograph has resulted in the sale of more bows than most anything else...so pack it away or you will be trading or selling bows.  Ask me how I know.   ;)
Lon Scott

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2014, 10:29:00 AM »
First and foremost you need to consider the draw length discrepancy.  

Otherwise, all things being equal...

Its all about differing designs, strings, tuning etc.  Those numbers sound in the ballpark for difference between the two styles of bow, but your mileage will vary..you could pick up another hybrid with more aggressive r/d and have the difference only be 5-10fps instead of 15.  I'm sure the Hall bow is quieter than that BW so that is an undeniable advantage.  What type of string/silencers are you using?  Throwing a skinny hi-po string on the new longbow should make up a good 3-5 fps right there by itself, you'll be good to go...
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline Diamond Paul

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2014, 10:34:00 AM »
Normally, longbows are slower; I don't know any longbow that can match the fastest recurves.  But, they are generally much quieter, so it's a trade off.  At short range, all you need to do is to get used to the trajectory, and it's all good.
“Sometimes the shark go away, sometimes he wouldn’t go away.” Quint, from Jaws

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2014, 10:37:00 AM »
Tons of variables to consider.  

Not to step on any toes...but AMO draw length is measured to the deepest part of the grip plus 1.75".  That is usually the back of the shelf, or close, but not always.  

Picking up 5 fps from dropping strands in a string is on the high end in general.  Going from an overbuilt to a "skinny" string may give you that result if you don't add a bunch of weight back by building up the serving.  You can pick up that much or more by working on your release.  

Type of string, how well it's built, silencer weight, etc. can make a difference.  How the nock fits will matter--tight will rob you of energy.

Roy's bows are generally pretty quick.  It could be the difference in bows, or it could be one or more of several other things.

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2014, 10:52:00 AM »
I knew it was only a matter of time before the real know-how chimed in- LBR!

The release factoid is definitely notable, it is something you can notice shot to shot if you pay attention.

Everyone is kinda pointing out that it could be a variety of things, but I will just come out and say it: changing styles of bow cold turkey will definitely take some adjustments!  LOL.  Think of it as a golden opportunity to really learn about bow design and what makes a bow do what it does, as well as all the fun of super tuning.  Whatever happens, I think you'll end up a better archer than you were prior to making the switch, to what degree is variable, but learning a new 'system' can only have benefits in the long run.  

Keep the board posted as to your progress in tuning your new setup!
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2014, 11:06:00 AM »
Yep, most LB's don't shoot as fast as the same poundage recurve.

I have found one that does though and I love it. Zipper Nitro. Its is same weight as my zipper recurve limbs and it shoots just as fast. They of course are R/D longbow limbs. Both sets are carbon.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline grayfeather

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2014, 11:12:00 AM »
my border harrier gl and a&h are a lot faster than my black widow, and the black widow was heaver by 1#.

Offline grayfeather

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2014, 11:23:00 AM »
black widow makes great bows ,but I do not think they are known for their speed .

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2014, 12:27:00 PM »
combos are faster than some recurs I have long bows there as fast as my black widow PCH
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline DaveT1963

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2014, 12:33:00 PM »
Originally posted by Terry Green:
combos are faster than some recurs I have long bows there as fast as my black widow PCH
X2 - only mine is a PSA
Everything has a price - the more we accept, the more the cost

Caribow Tuktu ET 53# @ 27 Inches
Thunderhorn takedown longbow 55# @ 27
Lots of James Berry Bows

Offline Diamond Paul

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2014, 12:34:00 PM »
Some of them are, but I think the fastest bows in Blacky's tests are recurves.  I never worried that much about speed, though.  I've never shot my recurve through a graph.  I just find an arrow that shoots good, and shoot it all the time.  I doubt I get 170, to be honest.
“Sometimes the shark go away, sometimes he wouldn’t go away.” Quint, from Jaws

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2014, 12:40:00 PM »
A true wealth of information on the difference between bow designs, basic construction, and HOW they do what they do is to be found in VOL.1 of the Traditional Bowyer's Bible.  VOL.1 to me is a must read for anyone who truly gets deep into trad.
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline newhouse114

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2014, 12:41:00 PM »
My 50 lb Samick sage shoots much faster than my bear 60 lb longbow. Oh well, I love the longbow and it put a bunch of meat in the freezer this year.

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2014, 12:47:00 PM »
My personal favorite bows have always been hybrids.  Best of both worlds.
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©