3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Ohio Public Land Bowhunt  (Read 1031 times)

Offline Huntrdfk

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Ohio Public Land Bowhunt
« on: November 06, 2014, 09:46:00 AM »
My good friend Seth Stevens and I spent the last eight days or so hunting state forest land in Pike County, Ohio. Seth is not afraid of a little work and is one of the best hunters I know. Couple that with his change to traditional archery a year or so ago made me very happy to be sharing a camp with him again.
We would be hunting an area we had never been too, so it required a some scouting before we thought about hunting, but by Thursday afternoon, October 30th, we were in trees hunting. This is a picture taken from my stand, overlooking an old roadbed to the right bordering a thicket.

I'll be back in a bit.......
TGMM Family of The Bow
PBS Regular Member
Comptons

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell

Offline Huntrdfk

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Ohio Public Land Bowhunt
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2014, 10:23:00 AM »
I'll try to get this caught up today, but there are some honey-dos to catch up on too.
I had met Jeff Holchin 12 or 13 years ago when he drew a NH moose tag in a zone I used to spend a lot of time in. I offered to give him whatever help I could, he accepted and somehow I found him on a remote mountain top at 5:30 one morning that had no real roads going to it. We still talk about that today. Jeff was coming up from North Carolina to hunt a different area but close enough that we planned to get together at some point during our hunts. It would be good to see him again.
Seth and I had never been to the area we were going to hunt, state forest land in Pike County. We got there on a Wednesday night, scouted Thursday morning and our first hunt was that afternoon. I saw one doe at dusk, while Seth didn't see anything. I liked the spot I was in though and planned on giving it some time. We hunted again Friday morning, planning on scouting in the afternoon as a steady rain was coming in. At about 11 am a small 6 point chased a doe around in the bottom about 70 yards away, then up the hill towards me, ending up about 30 yards from me before chasing her away. We spent the afternoon scouting again, looking for a new spot for Seth as he had yet to se a deer. We found a very good looking spot a few miles away that Seth would hunt in the morning.
Saturday morning was cold and wet with high winds. I saw a lone doe, Seth saw two bucks but had no shots.
We were back at it in the afternoon, I got settled into my stand just before three. I had been there for about a half hour when I heard a deer sneezing towards the head of the hollow to my right. It stopped for a bit and then started again, only closer this time. I saw the deer working its way towards me from about 150 yards away and could tell it was a buck right off. I got binoculars on him, and saw that while he wasn't a monster he was a decent deer and would be hard for me to pass on if given the chance. He continued towards me, and about 60 yards away stopped and freshened a scrape and was working a licking branch. This was the first time in my life I have been able to watch a deer do that while hunting, I have to say it was pretty cool. (For those of you that have not hunted deer in NH you just don't see that type of behavior due to low deer numbers. Heck, we only kill around 2200 deer a year here with archery gear). By now I was able to tell he was an 8 point and I had made my mind up I was going to shoot him if given the chance. He finished his business and came to me like he was on a string, passing within feet of a trail camera I had on the roadbed he was following.
TGMM Family of The Bow
PBS Regular Member
Comptons

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell

Offline Huntrdfk

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2014, 10:25:00 AM »
Here he is as he passes the camera. The roadbed straight ahead is where he walks, right towards the two small downed tress. My stand is in a tree just to the left, uphill from that roadbed.........

TGMM Family of The Bow
PBS Regular Member
Comptons

Offline Huntrdfk

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2014, 10:40:00 AM »
That led to this.......

David
TGMM Family of The Bow
PBS Regular Member
Comptons

Online Sean B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2014, 10:47:00 AM »
:campfire:    :coffee:
Sean
PBS Regular Member
Comptons
NY Bowhunters Association
BW KB X
BW PCH X
BW PSR X
Robertson Tribal Styk

Offline Homey88

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2014, 10:51:00 AM »
Can't wait to hear the storyline!

Offline Mint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2014, 10:52:00 AM »
I met Seth hunting with Fred Eichler about ten years ago. Glad to see he switched to traditional.

Don't tease us too long!
The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.

Samuel Adams

NYB Life Member
NRA Life Member

Online 4dogs

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2014, 11:31:00 AM »
:coffee:
>>>---TGMM, Family of the Bow--->

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2014, 11:41:00 AM »
Oh man, that set up looks like its been through a battle.

Offline DanielB89

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2014, 11:42:00 AM »
oh gosh.. i hate drawn out threads.. they make me check tradgang more than usual..    :bigsmyl:
"Blessed is the man who trusts in the LORD And whose trust is the LORD. Jeremiah 17:7

"There is a way which seems right to a man,
But its end is the way of death."  Proverbs 14:12

Offline Huntrdfk

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2014, 12:10:00 PM »
He walked right down that roadbed, stopping once and looking my way. I thought I was done as I was in a tree with no cover, but apparently the height given by being uphill and being 15 feet up was enough, and he never noticed me, continuing on the roadbed. As he was approaching the downed trees in the roadbed I softly bleated to stop him. He did, I drew, aimed, and as I released he began to walk again. The arrow struck him a little back and high, hitting his spine and dropping him immediately. He drug himself into the thicket, where I was able to finish him off. Here he is in his final resting spot........

I am ecstatic to be able to take this deer on public land in the
manner I did, I will certainly be back to Ohio, hopefully sooner rather than later.
TGMM Family of The Bow
PBS Regular Member
Comptons

Online Sean B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2014, 12:20:00 PM »
That's awesome David!!!  Congrats.   That's the way to do it!!
Sean
PBS Regular Member
Comptons
NY Bowhunters Association
BW KB X
BW PCH X
BW PSR X
Robertson Tribal Styk

Offline Huntrdfk

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2014, 12:21:00 PM »
I always take photos of my animals with just the animal and my bow, having me in the photo does nothing but distract from the main subject, the animal. So here is one of the ones we took....

I have more to talk about on this hunt, including pictures and a couple of really solid deer that meandered our way. (Unfortunately, they are still meandering)

David
TGMM Family of The Bow
PBS Regular Member
Comptons

Offline DanielB89

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2014, 12:22:00 PM »
the public land trophies are definitely greater than private land trophies in my book.  Without any ability to bait or (legally) leave a stand over night, it is an added but awesome challenge and accomplishment when things go right for you!!
"Blessed is the man who trusts in the LORD And whose trust is the LORD. Jeremiah 17:7

"There is a way which seems right to a man,
But its end is the way of death."  Proverbs 14:12

Offline huntnmuleys

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2014, 12:25:00 PM »
dandy public land buck!
is it September yet??

Offline pitbull

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2014, 12:50:00 PM »
Very nice!    :thumbsup:

Offline kadbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2014, 01:12:00 PM »
:thumbsup:    :thumbsup:
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
Colorado Bowhunters Association
Grand Mesa Bowmen
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Huntrdfk

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2014, 01:17:00 PM »
Here is the scrape he freshened up on his walk to meet me.....

David
TGMM Family of The Bow
PBS Regular Member
Comptons

Offline Huntrdfk

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2014, 01:19:00 PM »
And this is one of the many rubs we came across in the area......

David
TGMM Family of The Bow
PBS Regular Member
Comptons

Offline KyStickbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2014, 01:40:00 PM »
Congrats brother....great story and pics!!
Aim small...Miss small!!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©