3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Ohio Public Land Bowhunt  (Read 1032 times)

Offline drewsbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Ohio Public Land Bowhunt
« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2014, 01:47:00 PM »
Congrats David that is awesome
Try to be the person your dog thinks you are :0)
TGMM Family of the Bow
N.Y. Bowhunters member
BigJim 3 pc buffalo 48@28
BigJim thunderchild 55@31
BigJim thunderchild 55@32 Jim's bow

Offline Seth Stevens

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2014, 02:03:00 PM »
Dave and I first met, 24 years ago, at the archery shop I manage. We hit it off quickly and have hunted together ever since. Early on, we went on numerous trips together. From Illinois for deer to Quebec for bear.

Then came families and work. While we have always hunted locally together, the last trip we went on together was Illinois in 1997! Way too long!

We started making plans for this trip last winter. Some intel from a friend turned is to this area. We knew it wouldn't be easy but being from New Hampshire, we are used to long odds!
Black Widow PCHX 60"

Offline bruinman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2014, 02:17:00 PM »
Congrats!!

Online trad_bowhunter1965

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2014, 02:29:00 PM »
Great buck
" I am driven by those thing that rouse my traditional sense of archery and Bowhunting" G Fred Asbell

Trad Gang Hall of Fame
Yellowstone Longbows
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society Associate Member
Retired 38 years DoD civilian.

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2014, 03:11:00 PM »
Awesome David, congrats!

Offline Huntrdfk

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: November 06, 2014, 03:15:00 PM »
After I finished the deer I immediately texted Seth, knowing he had no cell coverage where he was, and knowing that he wouldn't get it till he was close to me, probably around  7:30. I texted him just after 3:30, so I knew I had a little bit of a wait. I texted Jeff and a few others, field dressed the deer and drug him from the thicket to my tree. (Seth is in way better shape than I, he is stronger and younger too. Don't tell him I said that though.) I gathered my stuff and walked out to the road to wait, once there I found another truck parked there. That was to prove fruitful for us. As it got dark, the owner of the truck arrived, his name was Jim and he was carrying a recurve, a Silvertip to boot! We struck up a conversation, and when he learned I had killed a buck he immediately offered to help me retrieve it. I told him that oi wanted to wIt for Seth, but he was than welcome to give us a hand. Jim readily agreed, and we waited for Seth. While waiting a number of people stopped to talk to Jim, who has a camp in the area. All were friendly, especially Nate, who offered to stop by our cabin and show us some spots that he thought were good!
Once Seth arrived we retrieved the deer, I thanked Jim and we called it a night.
Sunday morning I dropped Seth off at his spot, I then returned to the cabin and took care of my deer. I will only say here that Seth saw a 130" buck that morning, he can chime in if he wants to.
TGMM Family of The Bow
PBS Regular Member
Comptons

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: November 06, 2014, 03:19:00 PM »
Congrats David, I hope Seth Chimes back in. Heck of a buck!
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: November 06, 2014, 03:21:00 PM »
Great job Brother. A public land buck is a true trophy!
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Online rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: November 06, 2014, 04:41:00 PM »
Very nice animal!
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Offline Seth Stevens

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: November 06, 2014, 04:51:00 PM »
The spot that I was hunting, the day Dave shot his buck, we called the wide bottom stand. In the morning, I had two nice 8-points work down a bench that would lead them to within 15 yards of me. Both winded me at about the 35 yard Mark!

In the evening, I moved my stand up the opposite ridge to gain better advantage with the wind. The wind was 15-20mph all night! About an hour and a half before dark, I looked over my left shoulder to see 3 people go crashing down the ridge! A half hour later, they came crashing behind me! One was in camo the other two, plain clothes. One had a bow. They disappeared into the hollow to my right.

I figured that was it for my evening. Much to my surprise, 30 minutes before dark, I caught movement to my left. Yet another 8-point was working towards me. He closed to about 40 yards then turned and walked up and out of the hollow.

I snuck down and out. I was driving to get Dave when I finally got the text that Dave had killed one! I couldn't be happier for him! Well deserved!

We made short work out of extracting Dave's buck and taking photos.
Black Widow PCHX 60"

« Reply #30 on: November 06, 2014, 05:13:00 PM »
Awesme buck!

Congrats!

Bisch

Offline Seth Stevens

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: November 06, 2014, 05:13:00 PM »
The  next morning, Dave dropped me off an hour before light and went back to process his buck. It was 24 degrees an a light NW wind......perfect!

At 7:30, I hear all kinds of commotion behind me! The only thing that could possibly make that much racket is a buck chasing a doe! I grab my bow and look to see. As the crashing gets closer I realize that it's a Hunter with an enormous climber on their back, carrying a crossbow, heading past me and into the bottom of the hollow!

I don't handle that stuff well! I try to be a ghost in the woods and make as little impact as I can. Then, it's all undone by someone plowing in and cutting me off an hour after daybreak!

I resisted the urge to leave and sat down, trying to convince myself that something could still happen. At 9:30, I caught a flicker of white to my right, between the other Hunter and myself. A deer came up from the bottom and was headed to the other person. "This ought to be interesting" I thought!
Black Widow PCHX 60"

Offline Kopper1013

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: November 06, 2014, 05:14:00 PM »
Congrats, nice buck!!
Primitive archery gives yourself the maximum challenge while giving the animal the maximum chance to escape- G. Fred Asbell

« Reply #33 on: November 06, 2014, 05:15:00 PM »
Oops, double post!

Bisch

Offline Seth Stevens

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: November 06, 2014, 06:32:00 PM »
After a few seconds, I caught movement from where the deer had disappeared. It was coming back! It was a buck! A heck of a buck! When he stepped into view, he was a wide, heavy and tall,  8-point in the 130" range! He was slabbing across hill on the same bench I was on!

He stepped into my first lane at about 18 yards. I drew and softly grunted to stop him. Nothing! He walked Into my second lane I grunted a little louder this time.....nothing! As he quartered past me, I drew again and grunted loudly! He stopped dead in his tracks, perfectly Broadside, In my last lane! I picked a spot and dropped the string. The arrow flight was perfect right up until the time he hit the deck!!! My arrow sailed, harmlessly, over his back. He took a couple of big bounds,then stopped to look back. After a brief pause, he trotted out of my life!
Black Widow PCHX 60"

Offline Wapiti Chaser

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: November 06, 2014, 06:49:00 PM »
Sounds like you guys had a great time and made some new friends . It's a lot of fun to hunt new places and figure out the animals.
" Take a kid bowhunting"
New York Bowhunters BOD
PBS Member

Offline djohnson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: November 06, 2014, 06:56:00 PM »
Congratulations!
John 3:16

Offline Tim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: November 06, 2014, 07:02:00 PM »
David my friend....congrats!  Well deserved!  Although I would have liked to see you in the picture.  A Centaur eh?   Nice!

Great story guys, I will continue to tag along.  

Seth....I don't stop them any more for just that reason.  I too have had several hit the deck on me.  It's amazing that a big boy can move that quick.   Keep it coming.....

Offline Jerry Jeffer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: November 06, 2014, 07:32:00 PM »
Nice public land buck! Good job going to a new place and getting on some nice deer, despite the other noisy visitors. it just goes to show how deer operate around people. They just let the noisy ones walk on by.
I will give thanks to the LORD because of his righteousness and will sing praise to the name of the LORD Most High.

Offline Seth Stevens

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: November 06, 2014, 07:39:00 PM »
I sat there for a couple more hours replaying the shot over and over. Kicking myself for not aiming lower. I knew he would react....I just didn't expect that much!

He was standing In between the clump of 3 larger trees at the back of the lane.

After that, things got tough. There were people everywhere! A local, showed us a great looking spot on our topo. It was a 1 1/2 mile plus hike into it. I wish we had found that spot earlier! It was the largest white oak flat I've ever seen! Beautiful spot!

On the last evening, we hiked back in and got set up. We weren't expecting much seeing that it was 70 degrees with 20mph winds!

At 5:30 Dave texted me "big buck headed your way"! I could not see him anywhere! I saw movement behind me and a spike eased into my lane at fifteen yards. I picked a hair in the pocket and eased to full draw........ Then let down. He continued into the draw that separated Dave and I. When He got to the bottom he locked up and started acting spooky. I picked up my binoculars and focused where he was staring. A mid-130" 8 stepped Into view!
The big buck moved up the draw and went over the top. Soon after, he came charging back into the bottom, blowing like crazy! Apparently, he went over the top and was eye to eye with Dave!

That was how the hunt ended. All total I saw seven deer from stand....all bucks. 5 of them 8 points. Deer densities appear to be very low but genetics and trophy potential are off the charts!
We also learned that it's the poorest town in the poorest county and poaching is out of control.

This was my first trad trip. I certainly wish I had connected but had a great trip with a great friend. I couldn't be happier for Dave's success! He does have some really good kill photos with him in it. I even made him look good!

Thanks for following!
Black Widow PCHX 60"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©