3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Mount on page 6, Shot a nice buck… Need advice! -found him!!!  (Read 1870 times)

Offline Michael Arnette

• Trad Bowhunter
Mount on page 6, Shot a nice buck… Need advice! -found him!!!
« on: November 07, 2014, 10:42:00 AM »
Update! I found him and he's a hog!!! Pictures to follow! Read the harvest thread and full story here:
   http://tradgang.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=211&t=000104  

From 6/7/14- Well gang, yesterday was a sad day! Bad shooting on my part! I shot a nice buck at about 30 yards and hit him essentially midline of the torso with a razor sharp snuffer 145 grain. The arrow passed through and we found it a few yards into the trail. I shot him at about 8 o'clock yesterday morning the sixth and waited until 4 o'clock that evening to track him. A buddy and I tracked him for about 150 to 200 yards at 4 o'clock that evening and then I came back later and tracked him with Goodblood every 1 to 3 feet for another 150 yards.
He headed the opposite direction that I thought And the blood trail stops in sick Greenbriar right next to the Access road. It looks like he may have bedded down here but that's not conclusive as there's no obvious bed or pile of blood.
I get off early this afternoon and plan on tracking some more. Any advice?
Other details: all the blood we found was dark in color indicating that I may have gotten liver and there were no signs of any intrails or intestinal shot. Also, he headed downhill and towards water which I'll be checking out later this afternoon.

Offline DanielB89

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Mount on page 6, Shot a nice buck… Need advice! -found him!!!
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2014, 10:46:00 AM »
After reading some previous threads, my advice would be just stick with it.  Chances are he has expired by now, go find him!  

Keep us updated on how it goes!
"Blessed is the man who trusts in the LORD And whose trust is the LORD. Jeremiah 17:7

"There is a way which seems right to a man,
But its end is the way of death."  Proverbs 14:12

Online Flingblade

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2014, 10:54:00 AM »
Michael,  Was there gut matter on the arrow?  From the location of the hit it sounds like a gut shot although you may have hit liver.  When you get to the last blood mark it well visible from a distance and then make semi circles out in front increasing in size to search ahead for the next blood.  If you completely lose the trail and can't find anymore sign look for the nearest water.  Many times a gut shot deer will head for water.  Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2014, 10:55:00 AM »
If you got liver, he is dead. If you got guts, perotinitis will get him and he will die within a few hours. Keep trailing and you will find him. Do you have access to a tracking dog? If not, grid search.
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline Kopper1013

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2014, 11:02:00 AM »
Get as many people as you can and start to do a grid pattern search. Keep close to each other and keep working the area till your positive he ain't there. Then go work the next logical spot
Primitive archery gives yourself the maximum challenge while giving the animal the maximum chance to escape- G. Fred Asbell

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2014, 11:08:00 AM »
If tracking dogs are legal in OK, that would be my first choice!

Bisch

Offline bowtough

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2014, 11:08:00 AM »
Yep, liver shot deer is a dead deer. I would imagine he is dead by now. Maybe a tracking dog would be a good idea.

Offline maineac

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2014, 11:18:00 AM »
If you have had good blood, try to pick up the trail. he may have stood in the thick stuff to watch his back trail after the hit.  Tracking dogs can be amazing if you have access  Here is a link to an organization of certified trackers across the country.  I used to find one in my area last year.

http://www.unitedbloodtrackers.org/
The season gave him perfect mornings, hunter's moons and fields of freedom found only by walking them with a predator's stride.
                                                              Robert Holthouser

Offline Krex1010

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2014, 11:51:00 AM »
If you run into a cold trail, check he areas parallel to the blood trail. I've seen several bucks circle back and bed down off to the side of their back trail. Check the uphill side first, I know everyone says look downhill, but every buck I've seen that circled back in this situation was found uphill where he could look down on his back trail. Also walk the nearest waterway. Good luck.
"You can't cheat the mountain pilgrim"

Offline DaveT1963

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2014, 12:20:00 PM »
My guess is he is in the green briars if you left him alone.  If it was just a gut shot - I would have someone on other side of green briars in case you jump him.  If there is water nearby and you don't find him - look there.  very seldom does a pure gut shot bleed heavily.  Based on where you said you hit him and the color of the blood, You either got some liver (which is my guess) or you hit a large vein.  If the blood was dark red then you know if was liver - that buck will begin to feel the effects of that shot petty quickly and will usually be fatal within an hour.  So - he probably is not much further then where you found last blood unless you pushed him?
Everything has a price - the more we accept, the more the cost

Caribow Tuktu ET 53# @ 27 Inches
Thunderhorn takedown longbow 55# @ 27
Lots of James Berry Bows

Offline Michael Arnette

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2014, 01:38:00 PM »
My fear is that I may have spooked him on my way out at about 1 o'clock  :banghead:

Offline Diamond Paul

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2014, 02:36:00 PM »
If you got the liver, I seriously doubt that he went that far, seeing as you waited a good while to take up the track.  You would have found him dead far sooner, unless it was a very peripheral liver hit.  As everyone above said, find someone with a tracking dog, quickly, before someone else stumbles upon your deer.
“Sometimes the shark go away, sometimes he wouldn’t go away.” Quint, from Jaws

Offline J. Holden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2014, 02:52:00 PM »
I have read that one option is find a set of tracks.  Measure the distance between one set and another using a stick of some sort.  Now you can lay that stick out one the ground and look for his next set is various directions.  Now, I have never tried this, just read about it.

Also with my limited medical background a biological response to a traumatic injury is thirst.  I would bet he went towards the water...

Be sure to let us know how you do.
Pslam 46:10

"A real man rejects passivity and takes responsibility to lead, provide, protect, and teach expecting to receive the greater reward." Dr. Robert Lewis

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2014, 02:57:00 PM »
I agree with the previous posters about trying to find someone with a dog. I would explore that option before having a large group of people doinga grid search solely because they can mess up the scent trail if you gain access to a dog afterward.

Good luck and keep us posted.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline sheepdogreno

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2014, 03:00:00 PM »
In my experience a liver shot deer can go a long ways. Keep at it and like others said he probably isn't too much farther from where u left off. Good luck!
I'd rather be judged by 12 then carried by 6

Tradtech Titan 2 is my go to platform

Offline Michael Arnette

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2014, 03:15:00 PM »
Thanks Michael for the tracking dog site! I'm left a voicemail with a gentleman who is about an hour and a half from me in Monette Missouri

Offline Possum Head

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2014, 05:54:00 PM »
Down in this part of the country coyotes would have made a snack of him with that much time. Hope you find him. Track with confidence many have been found when hit there.

Online Flingblade

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2014, 06:53:00 PM »
Don't let yourself get discouraged.  My best buck to date I shot through the liver and he lived four hours.  I waited four hours to trail him and although he only went 100 yards he still had a couple kicks in him trying to get up when I found him.  If I had trailed him sooner who knows how far he may have gone.  Again, good luck and let us know if you get a dog on him.

Offline CRS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2014, 07:06:00 PM »
Keep at it,
good advice so far.

With what you have described, you have a dead deer somewhere.
Inquiring minds.......

Offline BRIARS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2014, 07:09:00 PM »
Go in the morning and look for crows and buzzards. They will go to the carcass at first light and make a big rukus.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©