3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Draw weight, excercising and preventing injury  (Read 420 times)

Offline Krex1010

• Trad Bowhunter
Draw weight, excercising and preventing injury
« on: November 07, 2014, 12:24:00 PM »
Ok so I bought my first traditional bow yesterday. 45# Montana longbow. I tried several bows at Lancaster archery, shot probably 100 arrows while testing them out couple dozen more when I got home. I'm sore today, not unexpectedly. 45# is comfortable for probably 20 arrows then I expect fatigue to set in. My plan is to shoot a few dozen arrows everyday or at least draw the bow everyday to build my strength. Possibly looking to get a lower pound bow as well to practice on so I can extend my shooting sessions. Does this seem reasonable?
Also the repetitive motion of shooting a bow got me thinking about repetitive use injury that can occur when using only one side of antagonist muscle groups. Does anyone here draw their bow with the opposite hand to help excercise both sides of their muscle groups? As a right hand shot I wouldn't shoot left handed but I was thinking drawing my bow left handed a couple dozen time would help with my strength and overall stability. Any thoughts on this?
"You can't cheat the mountain pilgrim"

Offline Diamond Paul

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Draw weight, excercising and preventing injury
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2014, 12:56:00 PM »
Drawing and holding and letting down slowly left-handed is good.  I just ordered one of the BowFit exercisers so I can do that without the bow during lulls at work and at home.  I also do gym work about five days a week, light weights, but I always warm up with internal and external rotator cuff exercises with light dumbbells.  I've had surgery on one shoulder and separated the other badly in the past, not from archery, so this is insurance.  Asbell always recommended drawing with both hands to improve strength, and I think it does help a lot, but don't overdo it.  If you can, instead of shooting a bunch of arrows in one session, split it up and shoot maybe 20-30 at a time a couple of times a day, if you are able to do that.  I work at night, so I can, but not everyone has the time for it.  An inexpensive, very light bow to train with is a very good idea, too.  Good luck.  Paul.
“Sometimes the shark go away, sometimes he wouldn’t go away.” Quint, from Jaws

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2014, 01:00:00 PM »
45# - 55# is considered "Average Weight" for a traditional bow. Glad to see you were paying attention to folks saying,"Don't overbow yourself!!!   :thumbsup:  

First, you probly shouldn't have shot 100 arrows in your 1st session... But hey,that's OK!!!! We all get excited over a new bow,and shoot the snot outa it,LMAO!!!!!

45# is fine, and the Bear Montana is an EXCELLANT longbow!!!!! I would not worry about getting another bow at all,the one you have is just fine!!! As a matter of fact... It is better to stick with one bow as a beginer,as apposed to shhoting several differant bows. Your shooting will improve much faster!!! Shorter shooting sessions starting out, is all you need. Your strength and form,will quickly improve!!!!!

Welcome to the Family!!!!! Keep us posted...
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Offline sweeney3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2014, 02:47:00 PM »
Learn to shoot with your offhand.  It's not as difficult as you at first think (although you probably don't want anyone to WATCH you nocking an arrow the first few times...), and it will help you stay balanced.  It goes without saying that a good, full body workout regime is beneficial as well.  Not only for archery but for general well being.  

You can build you a simple red oak board bow for three or four dollars that can be shot with either hand.  You just might decide to hunt with it as well...
Silence is golden.

Offline Charlie3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2014, 05:07:00 PM »
Do some low weight/high rep resistance training. Pull-ups and push-ups will suffice. Any sports trainer or phsical therepist will tell you to bould up the muscles surrounding the area most affected by your activity in order to prevent injury and improve performance.

Offline Kamm1004

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2014, 05:33:00 PM »
Being an ex college athlete and a certified personal trainer I will agree with most Everything stated above. If you're wanting to build strength however in order to pull a heavier bow, heavy weight/low rep exercises are what you want. Also, diet is as important as exercise, protecting the joints starts with diet.... Fish oils, msm, or some other joint supplement pill. I recommend being stronger than needed, in case you need to hold your draw for a few seconds in a hunting scenario. For instance, I shoot a 60lb recurve. I can pull 70-80lbs and practice that in order to make 60lbs feel like a breeze
Now then, get your weapons, your quiver and your bow and go out into the open country to hunt some wild game for me.- Genesis 27:3

Online The Whittler

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2014, 06:30:00 PM »
Just take one arrow when you practice. Shooting one arrow you will shoot longer before you get tired. Good luck and always enjoy and have fun, and be safe.

Offline Diamond Paul

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2014, 09:09:00 PM »
I fully agree with the Whittler on that.  I shoot one, then walk up and pull it, then move to another spot, and shoot again.  You can zone out just standing in one spot and shooting a quiver of arrows.  I think this is more of a problem for us instinctive shooters than it is for gap shooters, though.
“Sometimes the shark go away, sometimes he wouldn’t go away.” Quint, from Jaws

Offline monkeyball

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2014, 10:15:00 PM »
Whittler and Diamond nailed it. Quality shots are much more productive than quantity. Plus walking back and forth gives you some good cardio to boot.

Exercise both sides of your body with the bow,you don't have to shoot with the off side, just draw- hold- then let up.

You can shoot one day , dry draw the next with the off side. You are now giving yourself a chance to rebuild with a days rest.

Good Shooting,
                                                 Craig

Offline Homebru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2014, 10:27:00 PM »
Don't be afraid to take a "day off" for your muscles to recover.  
homebru

Offline Krex1010

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2014, 10:32:00 PM »
Thanks for all the advice fellas. Shot a couple dozen today and did better than yesterday, having a blast with my new bow.

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2014, 10:36:00 PM »
Since you are just starting out why not try shooting left handed as well...I do it all the time shooting about equally well either way and it doubles up your chances of making a good deal on a bow...you may actually be able to shoot the Montana initially by resting the arrow on your bow hand...you will likely need a considerably weaker spine arrow

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2014, 10:42:00 PM »
You could, for example, end up with a pair of 1963 Bear Polars like this...I sold/traded them to a friend who also shoots both ways all the time

DDave

I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline Hud

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • 360-921-5779
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2014, 11:07:00 PM »
When starting out, it is better to shoot every other or 3rd day. The muscles need the rest, and muscle memory comes while learning something new. If you are sore, you may learn a bad habit. Learning correctly is important. Bad habits are difficult to work out later.

To build strength/condition, start with a light bow and draw it back, pause at 12" for 1-3 seconds, then pause at 18" before coming to full draw (pause), and when letting down, reverse the process, pausing at 18" then 12" and then wait 5 - 30 sec. before repeating. Repeat 3x from the right and 3x from the left. If it is too difficult, shorten the pause and lengthen the rest periods.  Start this on the off days when not shooting. Stop if your muscles are sore.

Many people experience sore shoulders, wrist, or elbows when shooting to much. If you experience any problem, stop and rest a week.  There are other exercises to develop those areas. Consult with a physical therapist if something doesn't feel right.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline JDunlap

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2014, 11:54:00 PM »
I was having increasing problems with my back, neck, and shoulder until I started working my left side. Balance is critical for staying healthy.
Sandy Biles Scorpion TD RC; 54@28
RER XR Static Tip RC; 50@28
JC Optimus riser/Uukha EX1EVO2 [email protected]

Offline Archie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2014, 01:06:00 AM »
I always try to work or both sides when I shoot or exercise with my bow.  It's great exercise, too.  I've been hard at it all summer with my 68 pounder and my wife says my shoulders and back look a lot more muscular now.   A few years ago I only drew with one side, and ended up with a lot of back and shoulder pain.  I'm sure that was because my muscles were not balanced.
Life is a whole lot easier when you just plow around the stump.

2006  64" Black Widow PMA
2009  66" Black Widow PLX
2023  56" Cascade Archery Whitetail Hawk
2023  52" Cascade Archery Golden Hawk Magnum

Offline pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2014, 01:25:00 AM »
One of these days I need to start shooting RH as well as LH, but so far no problems for me.  Maybe a matter of time?  In any case, I think that you are probably getting a lot of good advice.

Offline sheepdogreno

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2014, 05:28:00 AM »
and here ive wondered why ive had some neck and back soreness lately...guess i need to start pulling left handed as well...i work out 3 days a week but guess thats not doing it. great info here as always!!
I'd rather be judged by 12 then carried by 6

Tradtech Titan 2 is my go to platform

Online M60gunner

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2014, 11:30:00 AM »
Many years ago,BT (before trad), I went from 70# to 83# by doing simple push-ups. I had tried to shoot a field round (112 arrows) without building up first. It took a few days to be able to shoot again, lesson learned. The pushups, morning, noon and night got me up to speed again.
I am enrolled in a class at the VA that uses the rubber bands as part of the routine. We do a excersie that is like pulling a bow. We do it both sides as well. I can not remember where our instructor said she buys the bands.
I have been fortunate that my body has not gone south totally yet. At 69+ I still shoot my 60+pound bows with no issues on a daily bases.

Offline Krex1010

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2014, 12:28:00 PM »
So after a week of shooting my new bow everyday but one, and drawing and holding left handed after each shot, I'm amazed how fast my body has adapted and gotten stronger. The soreness went away after a couple days. I haven't been going crazy, 2 dozen shots and then I'm done. Trying to focuse on making 2 dozen good shots as opposed to flinging lots of bad arrows. Accuracy and form is a work in progress but I'm really enjoying my new bow and I'm feeling really comfortable shooting it.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©