3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Another spine question  (Read 858 times)

Offline Iowabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Another spine question
« on: November 07, 2014, 05:22:00 PM »
Hoping to shoot the red VPA 200 grain broadheads (screw in)

Bow will be a Talltines recurve, 60#'s @ my 26.75 draw length.

Easton Trad or FMJ shafts most likely, would like to get real close to the 10 gpp mark, for performance (I really like heavier arrows) plus it really quiets down the bow.

Should I go with 400's or 340's in either of those two shafts?    Thanks!
Associate PBS member NRA member DU and Pheasants Forever

Offline Iowabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Another spine question
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2014, 05:23:00 PM »
Also will find some combination of Abowyer heads that I can get to tune properly w/adapters (to use for elk, and hopefully moose when I draw a tag for them as well)

Offline SAVIOUR68

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2014, 06:51:00 PM »
400"s

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2014, 08:00:00 AM »
The simple answer is yes...depending on other factors you do not mention your bow will likely tune with one or the other of those spines...the only way that you are going to know is to bareshaft with both of them the same way that many of us match our arrows to our bows...you do not seem hesitant to spend money on bows or broadheads so why would you be hesitant to spend some money on shafts and an arrow saw...less than perfect arrow flight can easily negate any advantage a superior broadhead might offer...congratulations on being able to know your draw length to the quarter of an inch without a clicker, most of us do not...that would make your current bow around 47 to 48 pounds of actual draw weight...seems like you are planning to bump things up 12 to 13 pounds in draw weight...that might also be an issue you would want to consider...you will notice that I have quite a few bows (I think I am up to 20 or 21 now) that I shoot so you would not be shocked to know I have enough arrows that I really do not know how many I have and only a few of those combinations are tuned well enough to hunt with...I am going moose hunting next week and I have changed my mind on what combo I am going to be carrying, based on my shooting in the last couple of weeks, several times...I think I owe the animals I hunt at least that much

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline Iowabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2014, 08:09:00 AM »
I have access to the pro shop here in town so that helps. Only thing I dont like about the bare shaft test kit is they send only one of each spine, and usually we get a 300 and 500 spine which I already know arent going to work.

I will get an arrow saw someday, but all this $ I'm spending has been hard saved (2 jobs) from working my tail off and also from quitting smoking.

Im far from well off but we are doing ok. The new bow and arrows are a reward to myself

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2014, 03:17:00 PM »
My local pro shops tend to have some left over arrows at the end of the season...maybe you could talk the people at yours into selling you a few 400 and a few 340 spine arrows...short of that I have a feeling you are going to be frustrated by your limitations and end up with a new bow that may not be as effective as the one you have now

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Online Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2014, 04:34:00 PM »
Do you have an arrow set-up that is currently tuned with your set-up?

If so, what are the complete specs of that arrow?
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline Iowabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2014, 06:11:00 PM »
What is with putting people down?

I dont have any limitations, I simply want a custom bow. Its goingto be 12-15# heavier than what I'm shooting now I obviously cant shoot the same arrows.

Yep Friend I'm shooting GT trad 35-55-s now with 100 gr i sert and 100 gr heads, cut to 27.25 (dont like having too much arrow showing.

Offline Tedd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2014, 06:54:00 PM »
Nothing like anticipation of a new bow! Something to consider that might make the experience more enjoyable is the tapered carbon shafts. I think I have tested and re-tested every possible carbon arrow combination and I keep coming back to the tapered carbon.  
Tedd

Offline Iowabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2014, 07:53:00 PM »
Ive never shot them before, my only concern is the diameter of those AD shafts, they look like wood!

I have heard that they fly phenomenally though I'll look into them

Offline Biathlonman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2014, 09:30:00 PM »
I'd start with the .400, 100 grain insert and 200 grain point.  Trim to tune, guessing somewhere below 29" they should tune fine.

Offline Cavscout9753

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2014, 09:48:00 PM »
Play around with 3rivers archery's spine calculator. Its usually been good to me. From there mostly brace and strike plate tunning within reason. Congrats on the new bow, their awesome looking rigs!
ΙΧΘΥΣ

Offline Tyler C. Moore

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2014, 09:56:00 PM »
I shoot a #51 zipper sxt, and a 500 spine full length (32") with the VPA 200 grn or Grizzly 200 grn heads shoot perfectly.

I would imagine starting with a full length 400 spine arrow would be a good place for you to start.

I used to shoot a #60 zipper and my setup was a Easton Axis 400 shaft full length and 180grn-200grn head. Flew great
Tyler C. Moore

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2014, 10:05:00 PM »
I am certainly glad to hear you do not have any limitations...I find my limitations often rear their head when trying to tune a bow...just a couple of weeks ago I was trying to tune a dual shelf bow that we had just put a new string on in a friend's basement...he has a string and arrow building business and his basement is better equipped than a lot of pro shops...the only arrow we could even get close to tuning with that bow was a woodie...and we tried a variety of carbon, carbon/aluminum and aluminum arrows with a variety of point weights...had I not had so many options close at hand I might never have found an arrow that would tune with that bow

DDave

Offline dhermon85

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2014, 10:25:00 PM »
Not sure what any of that ^^^has to do with his question?
I'd go with the 400.

Online Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2014, 10:49:00 PM »
Assuming that the arrow tuning has been optimized with your current arrows, a 340 for either shaft with a 100 gn insert and a 200 gn pt should be in the ball park. Note: your shafts may likely be approximately one inch longer.

The Axis Trad arrow will approach 10.3 gpp while the FMJ's will approach 10.7 gpp.

Note: wraps were not figured in these estimates.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline Iowabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2014, 12:02:00 AM »
Can you get 100 gr inserts for Axis shafts?

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2014, 07:39:00 AM »
Go back and read my initial advice and compare it to the other advice you have received and then tell me that what I said does not make sense...I was simply trying to give you the benefit of my experience, and my friend Cameron's experience, trying to tune with Full Metal Jackets in 400 and 340 spine (and 300 as well) with the 200 grain  broadheads with a variety of draw weights and string compositions

DDave

Offline BigJim

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2014, 08:42:00 AM »
You will likely have a little less than your normal draw length for a little while...it is just the way it is normally when you go up in weight.
The 400's will be close and you will be able to cut them shorter.

We sell test shafts one at a time so you don't get shafts you have no need for...sory, but no test shafts in the fmj.
thanks, bigjim
http://www.bigjimsbowcompany.com/      
I just try to live my life in a way that would have made my father proud.

Offline Iowabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2014, 08:53:00 AM »
Thaks for the heads up sir, becore the bow comes in I will look you up!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©