3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Anyone duck hunt?  (Read 535 times)

Offline Crittergetter

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
Anyone duck hunt?
« on: November 08, 2014, 12:21:00 AM »
I've been an avid duck hunter since I was tall enough to keep a barrell out of the mud and water. Got my father in law hooked as well. He's been bugging me to take him duck hunting. I haven't been at all this year because I've been focused on hunting deer with trad only gear. I made the comment that the only way I would go duck hunting was if I could take my bow! Well, that really got me thinking! I know I can get the birds in range without a problem. Just wondering if any of y'all have tried this and if you have any pointers, what broadheads, ect.... Also, do woodies with flu flu's float?
An elitist mentality creates discord, even among the elite!
"I went jackalope hunting but all I saw was does!"
Luck is when preparedness meets opportunity, I just need more opportunities!

Offline Archie

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Anyone duck hunt?
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2014, 01:01:00 AM »
My dad used to shoot ducks on the wing with his recurve.  He told me he used wood arrows because they would float.
Life is a whole lot easier when you just plow around the stump.

2006  64" Black Widow PMA
2009  66" Black Widow PLX
2023  56" Cascade Archery Whitetail Hawk
2023  52" Cascade Archery Golden Hawk Magnum

Offline twitchstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2014, 01:26:00 AM »
I have dabbled a little with waterfowl. It is sure fun stuff.  

Online timbermoose

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2014, 01:59:00 AM »
All my wood arrows float. 4x4" helical fletch and some with spiral fletch. I use ace standards. My best day was 4 mallards and 7 Canadian geese in 2.5hrs. A lot of fun. My 8yr old did the calling this year. I think he is better than me.  We use a canoe to retrieve between flocks if we can. Dog got cut last year and my wife beached him while I bow hunt for them.  If my back heals up quick enough( 2 slipped discs) then I'll be out in the marshes next to the fields.  Good luck, it's a lot of fun, same for the upland birds.
Backwoods Archery 66" 54@30
coaster500 yew elb 67" 55@29 -trade bow 2013
Heartlandbows 60" 60@29 -trade bow 2014

Offline Crittergetter

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2014, 08:02:00 AM »
Awesome! Thx for the info guys. I can't wait to give it a try but it'll be a while yet. Still trying for a decent buck first. Moose, thx for the heads up about your dog. I hadn't considered what would happen when my dog retrieves an arrowed duck! Twitchstick, wigeon is one of my favorite!    :thumbsup:

Offline Iowabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2014, 08:22:00 AM »
That would be a blast! I have a spot where I can flyfish, shoot pheasants and duck as well, may have to give it a shot with my bow!

Ive never shot aerial targets, how would one go about practicing aerial shots?
Associate PBS member NRA member DU and Pheasants Forever

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2014, 10:39:00 PM »
Originally posted by crittergetter:
Awesome! Thx for the info guys. I can't wait to give it a try but it'll be a while yet. Still trying for a decent buck first. Moose, thx for the heads up about your dog. I hadn't considered what would happen when my dog retrieves an arrowed duck! Twitchstick, wigeon is one of my favorite!     :thumbsup:  
Don't use your dog when using broadheads. They could get one jammed in the eye, throat, jugular on the retrieve and then how would you feel?
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2014, 10:42:00 PM »
Originally posted by Iowabowhunter:
That would be a blast! I have a spot where I can flyfish, shoot pheasants and duck as well, may have to give it a shot with my bow!

Ive never shot aerial targets, how would one go about practicing aerial shots?
You can cut discs out of cardboard using a 5 gal. bucket as a template and glue three of them together. I tape around the edges with duct tape too. Then enlist a helpful friend to throw them for you. I found it helpful to have energetic grandchildren available to retrieve the arrows too.
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline SAM E. STEPHENS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2014, 10:44:00 PM »
Love to duck hunt but haven't did it with my bow yet but will give it a try this year if I can find the right spot. My best place has no water this year so hope to find a small pond with an open end for arrows to fall into...

,,,,Sam,,,
HUNT OLD SCHOOL

Offline Crittergetter

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2014, 10:48:00 PM »
Reddogge, you make a very valid point! When I was thinking about trying this that was one thing I hadn't thought about. I'm glad timbermoose brought it up! I would be devastated if anything happened to my hunting buddy! Duck season last a couple weeks longer than deer season so im seriously considering giving this a try after deer season is over.

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2014, 10:52:00 PM »
dup.
NRA
Mayberry Archers

« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2014, 10:52:00 PM »
I have not duck hunted with my longbow - YET! I have pheasant hunted and dove hunted. Not nearly as productive as a scattergun, but a whole lot more fun!!!!

Bisch

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2014, 10:53:00 PM »
dup
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2014, 10:54:00 PM »
Geez, dup again.
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline freedomhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2014, 09:36:00 PM »
Shot one duck two years ago with a bow, which was before I got into trad.  50# compound with carbon arrows about 100 grains up front.  They floated back up after hitting the water, but I don't know how well some of these heavy arrows you guys are shooting will do.  I didn't shoot him on wing I waited until he landed.  Turned out to be a local park duck (Hybrid mallard).  I will be doing it again this year on some divers if they are as thick as last year.  It got to the point of limiting out within 30-40 minutes with the shotgun.  I made a lot of duck jerky out of those things.  Florida ducks eating snails and mud taste like crap!
How then shall they call on him in whom they have not believed? and how shall they believe in him of whom they have not heard? and how shall they hear without a preacher?
Romans 10:14 KJV

Offline don kauss

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2014, 08:06:00 PM »
It's so much fun, you won't believe it...just watching the arrows go to the ducks/geese is a blast! wood and aluminum both float...if you're hunting calm backwater, you can just pick up the arrows at the end; all floating around like bobbers...the great thing is that the silence of it doesn't spook anything--->sometimes they land in the decoys even after you've missed (believe me, you'll miss a lot, but when you connect, you'll be celebrating!
Your Chicken from McDonald's, Tyson Foods, or Perdue Farms spent most of it's life stuffed in a cage with three or four others, occupying a space about the size of a book page...None for me, thanks...

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©