3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Kansas Buck Down  (Read 1099 times)

Offline KSCATTRAPR

• Trad Bowhunter
Kansas Buck Down
« on: November 08, 2014, 11:57:00 PM »
Saturday Morning started out pretty windy. I got in the stand right at first light and the wind was howling out of the north. At around 7:25 I was contemplating putting may arrow back in my quiver and putting my bow on it's hanger when a doe bolted past my stand on the trail at 12 yards. On a normal day I'm sure I would have heard this does coming from a quarter mile away but that wasn't the case today with these winds.  When a doe runs past your stand this time of year a hunter is only thinking one thing, wheres the buck? After seeing the doe go through both my shooting lanes I instantly looked to the north where she originally came from and saw antlers fast approaching through the trees. When I first saw the buck he was at 20 yards wasting no time to try and catch up to the doe and I knew I was going to try and get an arrow in this deer. When the buck entered my first shooting lane he was quartering to me so there was no shot but as he passed through my first shooting lane passing behind a large hedge branch I gave him a really loud grunt with my mouth. By really loud I mean I almost yelled to get him to stop. The buck put the breaks on just on the verge of becoming broadside in my second shooting lane. With the bucks head behind a limb I drew and anchored. At this point the buck wasn't sure what made the noise but he was dead set on catching up to his doe. As the buck became broadside at 12 yards I gave him another grunt and almost instantaneously as he put the breaks on for a second time and stopped, I had an arrow sent his way.

There wasn't no lining up of the arrow, no making sure I was holding in the right spot, I just looked where I wanted to hit and my hand did the rest. I knew I had to make it quick and my instincts took over. I watched as my arrow struck half way up the buck's body right in the crease of the shoulder and I instantly knew it was a fatal shot. After the cedar arrow snapped off, the buck took off running through the maize of hedge trees and I watched him as long as I could which was only about 20 yards. I hung up my bow and thanked the lord for giving me this chance at this animal. I collected myself in the stand, called my wife, then got down and sat down at the site of impact.

There is no smell like the smell of a freshly broken cedar arrow covered with blood and there is no feeling like knowing you just put a fatal hit on a nice animal. I sat on the ground and thought about all the practice I had put in to be ready for this moment and all the work that I put in to be able to make this happen. The 20 minutes I spent there reflecting reminded me of how lucky I am to be able to do this. My dad taught me everything I know about hunting and I have him to thank for giving me the knowledge I have. My wife allows me to do what I love and I am more than appreciative to her. And of course, If it wasn't for the Lord up above, non of this would be possible. I also thought about my best friend's Dad that passed away on October 5th this year. He was a die hard traditional bow hunter and one heck of a guy. I couldn't help but think he was up there smiling down, this deer was for him.

Knowing that the deer couldn't of went far I took up the blood trail. There were specs of blood right by my arrow and it wasn't a hard trail to follow. A spec here, a spec there, then a pile here, another pile there. This was the kind of trail everyone loves to see. 60 yard into the track job I saw my buck belly up laying in the grass. Walking up to the deer I would be a liar if I said there wasn't any ground shrinkage but that didn't matter. I thanked the deer for his life and went to work. I am running out of time with a baby coming in January and the house and knife projects are stacking up. This buck will do just fine for me this year. He is a basic 10 point with beautiful dark horns, a little young but I'm happy. I shot this buck with my 54", 53@28 Wild Horse Creek Mariah recurve made by Mike Dunnaway in Perry, KS. I was using cedar arrows I received as a wedding gift last year from a great friend and fellow TradGanger'R, "DGW". The arrow was tipped with an old bear razor my Dad bought at a garage sale and gave to me. Upon inspection I double lunged the buck and nicked the side of the heart. I couldn't be happier with this buck. Now bring on the baby, does, ducks, coyotes, squirrels.....and projects my wife has for me.  

Offline MR BILL SHORTY

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Kansas Buck Down
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2014, 12:10:00 AM »
:thumbsup:    :archer:

Offline joe ashton

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2014, 12:40:00 AM »
Nice deer and a well tolled story. Thanks for sharing.
Joe
Enjoy the new baby.
Joe Ashton,D.C.
 pronghorn long bow  54#
 black widow long bow 55#
 21 century long bow 55#
 big horn recurve  58#

Offline KSshrewman

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2014, 12:47:00 AM »
Really good KS buck.  Congrats.  Good you got him now....gonna be uncomfortable sitting next week in that polar vortex!   :eek:
Shrew Classic Hunter
Javaman Elkheart
Javaman Helms Deep
Gill Snakey Self
Ben Pearson Colt
Swiftriver

PSALM 5:3  At Daybreak Lord,You Hear My Voice

Member "Kansas Coffey Club"

Offline South MS Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2014, 12:52:00 AM »
Congrats!  Nice Buck.
Everything I have and have become is due to the Lord and his great mercy.

Online trad_bowhunter1965

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2014, 01:11:00 AM »
Great buck!!
" I am driven by those thing that rouse my traditional sense of archery and Bowhunting" G Fred Asbell

Trad Gang Hall of Fame
Yellowstone Longbows
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society Associate Member
Retired 38 years DoD civilian.

Offline sheepdogreno

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2014, 01:38:00 AM »
congrats on your harvest and thanks for sharing the story! Outstanding buck!
I'd rather be judged by 12 then carried by 6

Tradtech Titan 2 is my go to platform

Online Tony Sanders

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2014, 04:47:00 AM »
Congrats on taking that nice deer. Thanks for taking us along with your story, I enjoyed reading. May God bless you and your bride on the upcoming birth of your baby, that it will be a very healthy child.

Tony

Offline dbd870

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2014, 05:28:00 AM »
Great buck    :clapper:
SWA Spyder

Online non-typical

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2014, 05:37:00 AM »
Nicely done!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Tradgang member #160

Offline T-Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2014, 05:42:00 AM »
Great story, and a great buck!
William

JD Berry Valor 66” 45@28
Great Northern Bush Bow 62" 47@28"
Traditional Bowhunters of Florida

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2014, 05:46:00 AM »
Awesome tuff and a great deer. Congrats on the new baby to come and best wishes.

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2014, 05:49:00 AM »
If that's what ground shrinkage does to Kansas deer I'd sure like to get me one!
Congrats on a beautiful deer and well told story.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2014, 06:14:00 AM »
:archer:
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline monkeyball

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2014, 06:22:00 AM »
Caley,
           Congratulations. Great story, and the photos are excellent.

Very well done all the way around.
                                                           Good Hunting,
                                                                          Craig

Offline kwc

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2014, 06:46:00 AM »
nice deer enjoyed the whole story

Offline Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2014, 06:57:00 AM »
Most excellent!

Congrats!
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline Huntrdfk

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2014, 07:16:00 AM »
Great job, congrats!

David
TGMM Family of The Bow
PBS Regular Member
Comptons

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell

Offline huntnmuleys

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2014, 07:18:00 AM »
damn nice deer.  way to work
is it September yet??

Offline Tim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2014, 07:23:00 AM »
Congrats buddy.  Man you guys have good looking deer out there!    :thumbsup:

Users currently browsing this topic: