3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Weak spined arrows  (Read 673 times)

Offline Rob Lind

• Trad Bowhunter
Weak spined arrows
« on: November 09, 2014, 10:51:00 AM »
Inadvertently ordered 600 spined arrows by mistake instead of my usual 500 spined carbon "Traditional Only" arrows. Had them precut to my 27" draw so I couldn't return them. They seem to shoot very well when my form, release is right on in a one time test trial. Any thoughts as to what I might expect to find that's different in the future if I continue to use them? Or should I just revert back to my 500s? I think they come out to 7.1 grains per pound wher I've heard a minimum of 8 is preferred.

Offline Looper

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Weak spined arrows
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2014, 11:45:00 AM »
What bow and poundage are you shooting? And what head weight? How did you determine they are too light in spine? A lot of the calculators grossly underestimate the stiffness of carbon arrows.

If your test trial consisted of shooting a fletched arrow with a field point, that doesn't mean squat. Put a broad head on it, or shoot a bareshaft, and you'll see how close in spine they are.

Regarding weight, 9-10 gpp seems to be the norm. The heavier weight makes for a much quieter and softer shooting bow. 7.1 is really light. Enough that it might void your warranty on your bow.

If you do need to change spines, you should be able to trade or sell those shafts easily.

Offline petalumapete

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2014, 11:57:00 AM »
If they shoot well I'd go with it. There seems to be a school of thought that stiff spine is better. I believe this is from the compound boys.  I've reached the point that I stick with what shoots best regardless of spine. I find a weaker spine with less weight up front is more accurate and the increased arrow speed gives the same penetration.
Big Foot Sasquatch Recurve
64" 57#@ 27.5
Big Foot Flat Liner Long Bow
64" 49#@

Offline Rob Lind

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2014, 12:25:00 PM »
Stalker recurve, 47lbs@27". Arrows are 27 1/2". Arrow weight is 338 total including 100 gr field points.

Offline Bladepeek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2014, 12:29:00 PM »
Is 7.1 the grains per pound of bow weight, or the grains per inch of the arrow? I personally would not shoot a 7.1gpp arrow out of any of my bows. Seems like it would be putting unnecessary stress on the bow and would be loud.

7.1 gpi on the other hand, might be reasonable depending on the bow, point weight, etc.
60" Bear Super K LH 40#@28
69" Matt Meacham LH 42@28
66" Swift Wing LH 35@28
54" Java Man Elk Heart LH 43@28
62"/58" RER LXR LH 44/40@28

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2014, 12:30:00 PM »
I have some some Trad Only 600,I think they were 7.1 GPI(grains per inch).GPP(grains per pound) is dividing the bows poundage into the total weight of the arrow.I like my arrows in the 9-11 GPP,do you have a scale to weigh the arrows and what pound bow are you shooting?

Offline Looper

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2014, 01:05:00 PM »
Looks like he is at 7.1 grains per pound.

Rob, call South Cox and see what he recommends. I'd be he'd encourage you to go with a much heavier arrow. What weight were the 500s? You still have them, right?

At any rate, go to this link and learn all you can:   http://www.acsbows.com/bowtuning.html

If you are going to be hunting, especially elk or big hogs, try to go for at least a 500 grain arrow. You'll still have plenty of speed, but with several benefits over a 338 grain arrow.

Offline Diamond Paul

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2014, 02:17:00 PM »
That's a pretty light arrow from a wooden bow, although it would be fine on a metal handle; probably is fine one your bow, but some bowyers don't warranty if you go that light.  I'm kind of surprised a .600 shoots at 47lbs, but it's a pretty short arrow.
“Sometimes the shark go away, sometimes he wouldn’t go away.” Quint, from Jaws

Offline Ceb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2014, 02:46:00 PM »
Sounds like a good reason to buy another bow! You have heard of matching your bow to the arrow, right.

Offline Flying Dutchman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2014, 03:12:00 PM »
I shoot 600's from my 48 Lbs traditional recurve. I feed them with weedwacker line to get at 9. 3 gpp.
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that string! [/i]                            :rolleyes:              
Cari-bow Peregrine
Whippenstick Phoenix
Timberghost ordered
SBD strings on all, what else?

Offline Rob Lind

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2014, 09:20:00 PM »
Sorry to be such a novice at this, but what do you mean feed it weedwacker?

Offline Rob Lind

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2014, 09:23:00 PM »
I did communicate with Sout and he responded: 8 is considered minimum for a
stickbow, 9 is probably most common what most guys shoot. I shoot 10 grains
per pound myself. The bow will be quieter and more efficient with a heavier
arrow and give you better penetration.
I'm not a hunter....yet, so I'm not too concerned with penetration. I think I'll go back to my 500s with 125 gr points for a total 8.4 gpp which South thought was fine.

Offline freedomhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2014, 09:42:00 PM »
Yep, shooting about the same as you 27 3/4" Gold tip .600 with a 25 3/4" draw.  I have to load weight up front on my to get it to fly good 230 grain tip.  My draw weight is 43-44lbs give or take.  I just ordered a SBD string for it to see if this helps at all with the stiff spine issues I have been having.  If I left my arrows at 29" I probably would be shooting 145 grain up front.
How then shall they call on him in whom they have not believed? and how shall they believe in him of whom they have not heard? and how shall they hear without a preacher?
Romans 10:14 KJV

Offline Flying Dutchman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2014, 03:52:00 AM »
Here you go buddy. The lines come in different diameters, hence different weights. I found out that 2.4 mm weighs around the 50 grains at 30 inch.
Shift them in the shaft and cut them a bit longer, so the end is in your nock. You have to feel a bit tension when placing the nock, so the line us under some pressure in the shaft.  Too short means rattling. I use just one line, but two will fit in easily too.
No ill effects,just an easy and cost effective method to get more arrow weight!
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that string! [/i]                            :rolleyes:              
Cari-bow Peregrine
Whippenstick Phoenix
Timberghost ordered

Offline Flying Dutchman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2014, 03:56:00 AM »
Cari-bow Peregrine
Whippenstick Phoenix
Timberghost ordered

Offline Rob Lind

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2014, 09:00:00 AM »
Thanks, FD.....SUPER TIP! Never heard of it! Money saver for sure.

Offline BigJim

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2014, 12:11:00 PM »
I would increase the point weight and see what happens. 1535s are not far off for 47 @ 27 but a 100 g point on a carbon for a bow above 42 lbs is quite light.

BigJim
http://www.bigjimsbowcompany.com/      
I just try to live my life in a way that would have made my father proud.

Offline Rob Lind

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2014, 08:21:00 PM »
Yep....might try that. Don't think a slightly weaker spine will be noticed. Thanks.

Offline Flying Dutchman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2014, 02:22:00 AM »
Let us now if it worked out for you Rob! Remember,a too short line means rattling and a chance your knocks will be popped out.
Shift a line into a shaft and make sure you hit the insert. Leave it one inch longer. Cut it. See if you can place the nock. There should be some tension and you should use a little force. If the line is too long, cut it a little bit, till you have a proper fit.
Once you have a proper fit, use this line to make the others in exactly the same length.
You will find out that trimmer line is very very consistent in weight too!
I use a drop of 5 seconds superglue to glue them in the nock. This will keep them in place for sure.
Cari-bow Peregrine
Whippenstick Phoenix
Timberghost ordered

Offline Rob Lind

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2014, 09:50:00 AM »
Thanks, FD.....so much to learn!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©