3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Damascus Gloves not the same as they were  (Read 404 times)

Offline Diamond Paul

• Trad Bowhunter
Damascus Gloves not the same as they were
« on: November 09, 2014, 05:01:00 PM »
Just got some Damascus Gloves from 3Rivers.  I was shocked at how poor the quality was.  I got medium, which is my size, and they fit like X-Larges.  Sloppy, cheap leather, not even close to the same gloves I used to buy.  I can't believe they would even carry such a poor quality product.  Very unhappy.  Now I have to waste the time to send them back.  I don't know who is building these gloves now, but they should be fired.  It seems that no one builds quality products anymore.  To top it off, they don't even strap on the same way; these gloves appear to be made for a lefty, but that option is not even available in this glove on the website.  They strap across the wrist from the opposite direction in which they once did.  To give an idea of how sloppy the fit is, when I pull the glove tight to my fingertips (and tight is a relative term, as they are not tight), the strap will fasten about three inches up from the base of my wrist, rather than at the base, as should be normal.  Unbelievable.  I would say, "buyer beware" to anyone who orders this make of glove these days.  Paul.
“Sometimes the shark go away, sometimes he wouldn’t go away.” Quint, from Jaws

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Damascus Gloves not the same as they were
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2014, 05:56:00 PM »
Check the gloves that RMSG sells. Made in the US of A, and good quality.
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2014, 07:37:00 PM »
I noticed that with the last Damascus I bought. The leather was thinner and the finger spalls ere too...and soft. I've been buying Damascus gloves for over 25 years and only this last one was like this. It seems to work OK but at least mine fits fine.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline slowbowjoe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2014, 08:02:00 PM »
I got one a year or two ago, don't remember from which sponsor. Fit is OK, general quality not bad, really thin leather. Never tried the earlier models, but I recall a thread here suggesting a couple of currently available gloves that compare to the older Damascus in fit, thickness, and quality. One is a Bearpaw from Kustom King, the other a kangaroo skin glove from some other place.

I can probably find that thread for you if it'd be helpful.

Offline mjh

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2014, 08:20:00 PM »
You bet, quality of what is out there is not so good to very bad.  Have a few Alaska Bowhunting ones that will last a few years more, the older good ones.  The last they offered up I would not buy.  I did buy one from RMSG and it is decent leather but the one side of the glove is a little "wonkey" I did buy this one in person at the store but live very far away and have used it, it is usable but the odd cut leather is noticeable. I believe it was an early one from their maker.  Anyways pays to buy in person if you can.  If not up to snuff or useable to you send em back!  Retailers will get the message if enough are not bought or many are sent back.

Offline Tedd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2014, 08:33:00 PM »
Yeah the Damascus is unusable.
I got the glove from custom king. Its bear paw brand. 10xs the quality!

Offline slowbowjoe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2014, 04:47:00 AM »
"There was a thread on here just a few days ago on this I agree the new Damascus gloves are terrible.
Two good alternatives were brought to my attention . The goat skin glove at kustom king a tad thicker than the Damascus of old.
And the kangaroo skin glove at Lancaster archery. I'm told is almost spot on to the feel and thickness of the older Damascus glove.
So there ya go "

Here, somebody summing up the post I was referring to.

Offline overbo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2014, 06:16:00 AM »
I bought an off brand called Mountain men gear. Very much like the Damascus but w/ longer finger stalls. Been shooting this brand for the pass few months and the quality seems pretty good IMO. They do run small in size.

Offline Diamond Paul

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2014, 07:26:00 AM »
Thing is, with the old gloves I could wear a large, but it would stretch and get too loose pretty quickly; it fit perfectly new.  I switched to mediums, which start tight, but stretch in to perfect.  An NBA player could wear these mediums.  It's ridiculous.  I would think 3Rivers would have some quality control people checking these products if they are going to sell them.  Anyone using their glove sizing chart is going to be in for a shock when they open a package of these.  It's sad.

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2014, 09:53:00 AM »
Have you contacted 3Rivers?
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2014, 09:58:00 AM »
Originally posted by centaur:
Check the gloves that RMSG sells. Made in the US of A, and good quality.
X2,they carry great quality gloves with the choice of different color too.
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline Muttly

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2014, 12:09:00 PM »
Another vote for the RMS glove, was just thinking I should order a couple backups..

Offline Diamond Paul

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2014, 02:54:00 PM »
No, I haven't contacted them yet.  Working this weekend, will do so when I get a day off.  Sending them back is not the issue, they will take them back, it's just the damn hassle involved.  They shouldn't put up a sizing chart and then sell a product that deviates from that chart by that amount.  It would be like ordering a large shirt based on a chart that says 42-44" chest size equals large, and then finding out that it fits a guy with a 58" chest.  It's literally that ridiculous when I put the gloves on, and it's the same with all three of them.  I see they are now made in Pakistan, so there's the answer, in a nutshell.  They are now made by some kid chained to a sewing table for 10 cents a day, I'm sure.

Offline Diamond Paul

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2014, 03:54:00 PM »
Anyone here used the Kustom King deerskin glove, with the cordavan tips?  It looks like a good option, a little more protection, extra long tips for a deep hook, but I've never seen one.  I see someone posted that the goat skin glove from KK is similar to Damascus, but a tad thicker.  Their gloves seem to run true to sizing, as I tried one of the black gloves and the medium is correct in it.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©