3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Point on. How did this happen? where is yours?  (Read 711 times)

Online bowgy

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Point on. How did this happen? where is yours?
« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2014, 11:43:00 AM »
My point on is around 40 yards with 3 under and a high anchor and a fast bow.  I've shot instinctive / split vision so long that I have a really hard time trying to determine my point on.  If I hold the tip on something I think my sub conscious gets confused and doesn't know if I really want to hit that spot or what.  I've noticed though, after years of just concentrating on the target that if I pick up the shaft and string blur in my peripheral vision I am more accurate.

Offline Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2014, 11:58:00 AM »
Used point-on in executing the shot to harvest the critter in my avatar.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2014, 11:59:00 AM »
Used point-on in executing the shot to harvest the critter in my avatar.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline hickstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2014, 01:04:00 PM »
Tedd...I'm probably as close to Holy Cross (my Dads Alma Mater BTW) as you can get....I'm a bit to the east but sometimes hunt just south of there in millbury/oxford.  theres definitely good hunting, but gaining access and permission are the obstacles to get over here.

AFA point on....I was communicating with JRW the other day and he shoots 3 under and has an extra nock an inch or so below his arrow nock, that his top finger touches ....and is point on at around 20.  I have always shot split finger and my point on lower so I've never really played with gapping.  and I don't wanna start now that the season is in full swing....but once I'm done for the year I may start experimenting.
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.

Offline lt-m-grow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2014, 04:12:00 PM »
Originally posted by Kirkll:

The guys who use 3 Under with the feather on the nose high anchor can get their point on adjusted to 20-25 yards pretty easily..... but good luck shooting 50-60 yards.

i don't consciously gap, but have checked it out.  I shoot exactly like above and my spot-on is 50 yards.

So I am seriously more accurate at 50 than 40...

Offline calgarychef

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: November 12, 2014, 05:33:00 PM »
My point on is exactly 40 yards, but I have heavy and long arrows.  If I knew that a deer was exactly at 40 yards I'd have no qualms dropping the string but because I don't use a range finder I don't bother with that stuff.  It's interesting to know though and ive impressed a lot of guys at the 40 yard butts.

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: November 12, 2014, 07:22:00 PM »
It depends some on the bow and arrow combination (bow performance and draw weight and arrow weight and length).

I shoot 3-under with a 26" draw. My point on is between 32-35 yards. Everything under that I have to place my fingers further under the nock and if longer than 35 (targets only) I touch the nock but have to raise the point above the spot I want to hit.

Yes, some folks do purposefully change arrow length to manipulate their point on distance. A good friend shoots longer arrows in 3D in order that his point on will be 20 yards.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©