3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Tree Steps  (Read 442 times)

Offline Kevin Hansen

• Trad Bowhunter
Tree Steps
« on: November 10, 2014, 09:45:00 AM »
Looking to buy some additional tree steps and it seems Ameristep has discontinued making their Grizzly tree step (at least they no longer show them on their website). I've used these steps for a long time and like their strength and size. Cabela's has some left, but only in 8 packs, I would prefer a 20 pack and the savings quantity offers. The Sportsman's Guide has Grizzly tree steps, but they are not the Ameristep brand. Can anyone point me to a source for these? Or, does anyone have experience with a similar replacement?
Thanks.

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Tree Steps
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2014, 01:50:00 PM »
I hate screw in steps. First of all they scare me... I imagine being gutted by them in the event of a fall. Secondly I always got "sweated up" putting them in... not good on a hang then hangout day.

Much prefer the Rapid Rails. Easy to climb, solid and last a long time... and I don't worry about being eviscerated.

Sorry I'm not much help with your actual question but this will help give your thread another ride down the page.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2014, 01:59:00 PM »
Charlie X2.  And I'll add another reason - I don't think they are good for the trees to open a wound like that.  Certainly not good for the veneer if you ever plan to harvest the tree for lumber.  

I sold all of my screw in steps a few years ago and have replaced them with Lone Wolf steps and Rapid Rails.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline SELFBOW19953

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2014, 02:12:00 PM »
A lot of landowners and state/federal agencies prohibit screw in steps for the very reason you said Whip, also if they are not removed and the trees are timbered-there goes a very expensive saw blade.
SELFBOW19953
USAF Retired (1971-1991)
"Somehow, I feel that arrows made of wood are more in keeping with the spirit of old-time archery and require more of the archer himself than a more modern arrow."  Howard Hill from "Hunting The Hard Way"

Offline J-dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2014, 02:42:00 PM »
Cant really help? google search - someone still has em I am sure ---

The rope ones while expensive are really easy and hold really well. Even for a "hang and hangout" day.

Cant help for the gutted part if you fall? :-)

J
Always be stubborn.

Captain hindsight to the rescue!

Offline tracker12

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2014, 02:45:00 PM »
Only steps I will use are Cranford.  If you have your heart set on steps that's the way I would go.  Amazo* sometime sells them in bulk.  I drill hole with my tree hopper bit and use bolts that I can easily remove when I leave.
T ZZZZ

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2014, 02:54:00 PM »
I don't trust a step AND like Charlie said, they scare me just thinking of a fall.

The couple of times I have used them at a buddy's setup they never gave way nor did I slip.  It's just one of those things that even though you don't have evidence to distrust them I do.
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Offline SELFBOW19953

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2014, 04:49:00 PM »
20 or 30 years ago, a hunter did an article about getting his wedding ring caught on a step when he slipped.  The photos were nasty-he nearly lost his finger!!!  I have seen pictures of rings getting caught when a person fell that did remove a finger.
SELFBOW19953
USAF Retired (1971-1991)
"Somehow, I feel that arrows made of wood are more in keeping with the spirit of old-time archery and require more of the archer himself than a more modern arrow."  Howard Hill from "Hunting The Hard Way"

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2014, 05:46:00 PM »
I feel like an outlaw.
 I love screw in steps. I buy them at Dicks Sporting Goods.
David M. Conroy

Offline Clint B.

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2014, 05:55:00 PM »
I use Cranford EZY steps. Made of USA steel and sharper screws than the others. Their bow hanger is also better than others.

Offline Jerry Russell

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2014, 06:53:00 PM »
I run 20 plus lock on stands on for my deer hunts and the economy of steps and amazing speed of set-up make them important.  For safety, close spacing and three points of contact while climbing will minimize the hazard as much as possible. I understand the concern that some might have.

The steps I use come from Wal-Mart.  Not only are they affordable at $2 per step, they have the best starting points of any step I have used. They also have a specific angle that makes them the safest I have used.

Offline bisket

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2014, 07:29:00 PM »
I know it has already been mentioned by others but be carefull.  I would have completely disregarded and laughed this topic off 2 years ago.

I used tree steps for over 20 years.  They worked really well for a guy on a BUDGET...HOWEVER, that budget got taken back and way more than then some in medical bills from the fall they contributed to.

Not worth the chances.  I fell 2 years ago and badly broke my leg due to the small footprint they give you.  I now have 3 plates and bunch of screws in my leg bones.

It's your decision, just think about it and Be carefull using these!
Michigan Longbow Association
Michigan Traditional Bowhunters

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.
-Henry David Thoreau

Offline J-dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2014, 08:07:00 PM »
Originally posted by tracker12:
Only steps I will use are Cranford.  If you have your heart set on steps that's the way I would go.  Amazo* sometime sells them in bulk.  I drill hole with my tree hopper bit and use bolts that I can easily remove when I leave.
Saw a Warren Womack youtube video where he demonstrated this. Seems like the way to go, but if I am on game lands I can't here in NC.
Always be stubborn.

Offline J-dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2014, 08:12:00 PM »
Originally posted by SELFBOW19953:
20 or 30 years ago, a hunter did an article about getting his wedding ring caught on a step when he slipped.  The photos were nasty-he nearly lost his finger!!!  I have seen pictures of rings getting caught when a person fell that did remove a finger.
Called a "degloving" and it is NASTY - cringe when I think of it. Guy was yelling "it hurts " holding his hand. While I had to stay orgpfessional about it I was thinking it should!!

We need be careful anytime we are out there, just saw a pic floating around the internet of an arrow run through a mans outer thigh. It was a trad head though I am not sure the circumstances of how it got there, I am assuming he fell on it.

Should be easy to find them on the net,

J
Always be stubborn.

Offline randy grider

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2014, 08:20:00 PM »
i hate screw in steps. they ruin good potential timber trees, and just open a wound that disease and insects can enter. Get straps ons or climbing sticks, or a climber.
its me, against me.
member KTBA,MCFGC,UBK,NRA

Offline Kevin Hansen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2014, 08:23:00 PM »
Thanks for all the replies. I agree with you, Charlie. I have the same thoughts every time I descend and so use the Jerry Russell 3 points of contact method.
I have Lone Wolf sticks and while I like their concept I dislike the short length of step for my foot to stand on. When my boots are full of mud it's even worse.
I will be checking out the Cranford steps and the Walmart source.
Again, thanks for all the input.

Offline huntnmuleys

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2014, 08:34:00 PM »
those things terrify me..
is it September yet??

Offline Jake Scott

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2014, 08:40:00 PM »
I agree with most of the other guys.  We used steps for a long time at my lease, then my best friend very nearly DID gut himself.  He was very fortunate to only come out of the deal with 35 stitches.  Still beats your guts hitting the ground.

One thing I haven't seen mentioned yet is if left in a tree for several years they rust right at the end of the threads where the tree wood ends, making them weak and VERY DANGEROUS.  

The newer climbing sticks are so dang easy, man.  Safer and easier to put up.  That is my recommendation.

Jake
FORM FORM FORM FORM

TGMM family of the bow
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
PBS Associate Member

Offline jax

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2014, 09:01:00 PM »
I had a friend almost bleed to death when one broke and gutted him.

Offline Kevin Hansen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2014, 11:17:00 PM »
As I stated earlier I have a set of the Lone Wolf sticks. Someone else mentioned Rapid Rails. What other brands of climbing sticks do you all prefer?
One time an insurance adjuster came to my place and in the trunk of his compact car he had an extremely light weight telescoping ladder that would reach up to sixteen feet. Ever since I've wished I could find something similar to use when hunting from a tree stand....just extend, lean against the tree, climb, and begin hunting.
Thoughts?

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©