3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: nock fit?  (Read 348 times)

Offline sheepdogreno

• Trad Bowhunter
nock fit?
« on: November 10, 2014, 09:20:00 PM »
How tight do you like your nocks to fit your string? I changed out my boning nocks for gold tip nocks and I think they are a little on the loose side. Good click onto string but if I barely touch them they fall off. Cost me a squirrel today when my arrow fell to the ground.lol
I'd rather be judged by 12 then carried by 6

Tradtech Titan 2 is my go to platform

Offline Biathlonman

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: nock fit?
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2014, 09:24:00 PM »
I like mine tight. I keep reading they are supposed to be loose, but I want to be able to draw, let down, and draw again withot having to worry about my arrow falling off.

Offline sheepdogreno

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2014, 09:26:00 PM »
That's what's happening to me in practice and in the field! So aggravating! I'm worried to go tight and lose accuracy or something. FYI I'm in first yr of trad shooting

Offline sheepdogreno

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2014, 09:27:00 PM »
That's what's happening to me in practice and in the field! So aggravating! I'm worried to go tight and lose accuracy or something. FYI I'm in first yr of trad shooting

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2014, 10:22:00 PM »
I like a light snap.  Keep in mind it takes the same amount of energy to get the nock off the string as it takes to get it on.  Tight means more noise and it can cause tuning problems, especially with lighter draw weights.

Offline bigbadjon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2014, 10:51:00 PM »
I like mine to snap tight enough at the ears of the nock to hold the string but have zero resistance in the throat (mine will slide up and down the string freely without a nock point).
Hoyt Tiburon 55#@28 64in
A&H ACS CX 61#@28in 68in (rip 8/3/14)

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2014, 11:04:00 PM »
Nock the arrow.  Point the bow down.  The arrow should stay; but if you tap the string it should drop.

That's my preference.  A tight nock is a noisy release.
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2014, 12:13:00 AM »
You want the nock fit to be loose, but you certainly don't want the arrow to be falling off the string when you need it.  If you're going to use the GT nocks from now on, you should do something to make them fit.  You can replace the serving with the next thicker size.  You can put a wrap of very thin material such as dental floss over just the part of the serving where you nock, although I've tried this and the dental floss doesn't seem to hold up very long.  You can hold the nock in boiling water for a half minute or so and squeeze the ears together, although it's hard to get a consistent fit, and some of the modern plastics don't soften very much in boiling water.  Or, nocks not being very expensive, you can just buy nocks that fit.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline sheepdogreno

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2014, 12:38:00 AM »
Thanks for the advice everyone! I played around since the post with different nocks to see what works best teygold tips click on but barely hold. I have some others that are slightly tougher to click on string but once on they are loose.I shot these with no different results in accuracy.

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2014, 08:08:00 AM »
I like it snug enough that the string will remain on the string but not so tight that it adversely affects the release.
Sam

Offline screamin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2014, 12:03:00 AM »
I like them tight enough that I can snap one on the string, turn the bow sideways or riser facing up, and the arrow does not fall off the string and stays pointed down. Basically, the string rotates inside the nock but the arrow does not fall off.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©