3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: If you fall from a tree, who will come for you?  (Read 636 times)

Offline Jerry Russell

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
If you fall from a tree, who will come for you?
« on: November 11, 2014, 03:13:00 PM »
If you fall from a tree who will come for you? This could go for any other accident when in remote areas or even woodlots close to home. I hunt a giant area in Georgia and when I leave my house my woman could not tell anyone where I was if I did not return.  I mean she has no idea what region of the state I am even in much less where my tree stand is located.

I got to thinking about this the other day and before you answer that you always have your phone with you just imagine lying somewhere and being unable to even use a phone.  I am sure that I am not the first to think of this but here is a good way to let folks know where you are when hunting. I mean EXACTLY where you are in an emergency.

There are various apps for smart phones that will tell you where you are at any given time.  I used scoutlook for a time but have switched to Trimble for a number of reasons. I don't think it really matter for this application as long as it will give you Longitude and latitude as well as a satellite and or topo information.  When you get where you are going geotag your location as a waypoint. Bring up these numbers and then take a screen shot of this info. Text the picture to someone that would need this information when you don't come home.

With this information, a loved one or friend from a thousand miles away could send a search team directly to your stand without a word from you even if your phone is turned off or destroyed.

I know some folks are resistant to all thing tech or may say that it is to complicated but I promise if you have difficulty figuring it out grab a 16 year old child and in minutes you will see just how easy it is.  I can geotag a location and send the info in less than 30 seconds and it is very accurate.  As a matter of fact this idea came to me when I started using this to mark locations of my stands so than my son could go to them in the dark without ever having been there.  It works. There are even ways to do this (with Trimble at least) when you don't have cell service but it is a bit more complex.

Just thought I would pass it along to the folks that might have an interest. If you guys have thought of some other neat ways to use these things for safety, please share.

Hunt safe,
Jerry

Here are a couple of screen shots that show just some of the information that can be used for letting someone know where you are.  Remember, the most valuable are the actual coordinates that an unknown rescuer would need the most.  

Offline Jerry Russell

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: If you fall from a tree, who will come for you?
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2014, 03:19:00 PM »
And by the way, don't you boys go sneekin about this location provided here, lol.

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2014, 03:25:00 PM »
This is like leaving a "float plan" behind when going boating/ offshore.  This is absolutely a good idea.  

I work in fire/EMS and trust me, 99% of the people who get injured during outdoor activities never thought it would or could happen to them.  Be especially mindful of this kind of stuff during extreme weather!  Be prepared!
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline Jerry Russell

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2014, 03:33:00 PM »
I agree.  Folks never think it can happen to them and telling the wife that you are going to be "down by the creek" can cost you big time when a search and rescue team is trying to find you in the dark. We always think of tree stand safety and the like but what about things you can't wear a safety belt to stop like heart attacks, strokes and MANY other such things. These are thing that you can't take safety measure to prevent. With the technology available (if you care to use it) why not use it to protect yourself and the people that depend on you.

Offline sweeney3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2014, 03:34:00 PM »
Either angels or demons.  Then coyotes.  Or maybe the other way 'round.  Either way...

I take appropriate safety measures.  Quite a lot, actually.  But at the same I figure that nothing is failsafe and if I snuff it out hunting or fishing in a pretty place, that's as good a way to go as any.
Silence is golden.

Offline Jerry Russell

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2014, 03:34:00 PM »
Originally posted by Jerry Russell:
I agree.  Folks never think it can happen to them and telling the wife that you are going to be "down by the creek" can cost you big time when a search and rescue team is trying to find you in the dark. We always think of tree stand safety and the like but what about things you can't wear a safety belt to stop like heart attacks, strokes and MANY other such things. With the technology available (if you care to use it) why not use it to protect yourself.

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2014, 03:35:00 PM »
I always tell the wife about where I will be, That being said it still could take 24-48 hours to find my sorry old butt! I leave a top map and a note on the counter the night before and show her "about" where I can be found! So far I have not needed it!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Jerry Russell

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2014, 03:36:00 PM »

I agree.  Folks never think it can happen to them and telling the wife that you are going to be "down by the creek" can cost you big time when a search and rescue team is trying to find you in the dark. We always think of tree stand safety and the like but what about things you can't wear a safety belt to stop like heart attacks, strokes and MANY other such things. With the technology available (if you care to use it) why not use it to protect yourself.
[/b]
Ummm,
I have no idea why I just quoted myself.. dang technology, lol

Offline LongStick64

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2014, 03:39:00 PM »
I have to agree, the new apps have helped me get out of a jam a few times already. Won't leave home without it.
Primitive Bowhunting.....the experience of a lifetime

Offline Jerry Russell

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2014, 03:43:00 PM »
Originally posted by LongStick64:
I have to agree, the new apps have helped me get out of a jam a few times already. Won't leave home without it.
Not to mention all the "other" things they can do for you.  "Where was that last blood spot"? Something I will never have to say again on a pitch black night.

Offline ISP 5353

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2014, 03:58:00 PM »
My wife knows what stand or blind I am in.  Even if I am hunting in ghillie, she knows the area I am in.  I also check in when I am heading out of the woods, so she has an ETA for me to be driving home.

She could call the land owner and tell him where to go, if needed.

Offline jt85

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2014, 04:58:00 PM »
My friend and hunting buddy pretty much always knows where I'm sitting whether he is hunting or not and we usually talk after every hunt so if I didn't call I know he would be calling and if he couldn't get a hold of me I know he would come looking.
Black Widow PCH 58" 48#@28"
Mohawk Sparrowhawk 62" 49@28
Mohawk Sparrowhawk 62" 52#@28
Wengerd Ibex 58" 50#@28

Offline eidsvolling

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2014, 05:01:00 PM »
I was a SAR dog handler for many years. I know full well how long it takes to notify the authorities, mobilize a response and locate someone lying on the ground in deep cover.

My wife has a general knowledge of some of the areas I hunt, from walking them with me or on her own. For other areas, I send her an occasional email with my phone directly from a mapping app that automatically gives her the coordinates to hand off to the search commander. She always know before I go out when I will be back and when to call for help, which are two different times.

If we still lived in AK or in one of the Western states, I'd carry a PLB, which got its start in AK:    Emergency Beacons   The SPOT device has come a long way from its somewhat troubled infancy, and I might  consider that as well.

Offline TommyBoy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2014, 05:14:00 PM »
Coyotes!   :biglaugh:
TommyBoy

Offline VA Bowbender

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2014, 05:30:00 PM »
My wife is handicapped, my daughters live far away, my brother and mother live in TX. St. Peter will come for me or St. Christopher will look after me.
Good thing my wife is beneficiary.   :biglaugh:
Bows, Broadheads & Backstraps

Offline sidebuster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2014, 05:45:00 PM »
The biggest survival mistake people make is not letting one know where they will be at.   Always text or email someone your coordinates.  Everybody has some sort of phone that sends text or emails. Most places today get phone service of some type.  If you don't have a phone which is probably the most important item you can have, you can leave a note at your home like your refrigerator or bathroom mirror and leave the general area where you will be. Stay safe.

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2014, 05:51:00 PM »
See this article - Presents another option.  It is an app developed by a local guy and seems to be a good idea both for keeping track of where someone is hunting AND if you need help it can text your exact coordinates to a designated person.

http://www.louisianasportsman.com/details.php?id=6961
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Offline Jerry Jeffer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2014, 06:26:00 PM »
Between my wife, and my hunting buddy, someone will find me. They always know where I am going.
I will give thanks to the LORD because of his righteousness and will sing praise to the name of the LORD Most High.

« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2014, 07:29:00 PM »
Excellent tip, Jerry!

I don't think anyone who has ever fallen out of a treestand, went there that day with falling out of a treestand as even a remote possibility in their mind!

Bisch

Offline J-dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2014, 07:36:00 PM »
Originally posted by VA Bowbender:
My wife is handicapped, my daughters live far away, my brother and mother live in TX. St. Peter will come for me or St. Christopher will look after me.
Good thing my wife is beneficiary.    :biglaugh:  
Don't know St Christopher is but I hope St Peter comes for me as places I go I figure a buzzard won't be able to find me.
Always be stubborn.

Captain hindsight to the rescue!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©