3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Hunting Permission Revoked Today  (Read 432 times)

Offline dirtguy

• Trad Bowhunter
Hunting Permission Revoked Today
« on: November 11, 2014, 04:22:00 PM »
I'm both sad and pissed off.  I got a phone call today that my son and I (and 3 other guys) will no longer be able to hunt the large piece of land we've been on for the past several years.  The owner got a complaint from a neighbor. Not a complaint about anything that we did wrong, just a "fear of hunters" complaint.  The owner is skittish as it is and we had worked hard to gain trust, now its gone in a puff of thoughtless email. The crazy part is that in the years we've been there, we've never had anyone (Neighbors) complain about anything substantive.  And we respected the owner and the land, providing lots of free labor without being asked

It is a special piece of land and not easily replaced here in populated Central CT.  My heart is heavy.

Offline Hobies

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Hunting Permission Revoked Today
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2014, 04:24:00 PM »
bummer to hear about it. i know the feeling man

Offline T-Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2014, 04:34:00 PM »
Hate to hear it, it's getting harder to locate private land to hunt on, good luck in finding a new place to hunt.
William

JD Berry Valor 66” 45@28
Great Northern Bush Bow 62" 47@28"
Traditional Bowhunters of Florida

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2014, 04:37:00 PM »
So the owner is skittish.  Hmmm.  Do you know the owner well enough to press them as to whether they plead your case to the neighbor or not? / vouched for you etc??  Or is it safe to say if you got the email that they dealt with said neighbor as best they could?  Honestly I'm not sure I'd go down without kicking a little.  It almost sounds like a non-confrontational/passive way to get you off the land for the owner's own reasons/ way for them to save face.  Its his/her land, why does the neighbor's opinion matter so much?  I'm not trying to incite anything, I'm just curious?
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline dirtguy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2014, 04:39:00 PM »
Nineworlds9 - I'm not going down without a struggle - I will plead my case with the owner and the neighbor.  I've got nothing to lose!

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2014, 04:41:00 PM »
Originally posted by dirtguy:
Nineworlds9 - I'm not going down without a struggle - I will plead my case with the owner and the neighbor.  I've got nothing to lose!
Good deal, good luck and let us know how it turns out in the end.
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2014, 04:45:00 PM »
Throw the owner a cash offer to lease rights. Money goes a long, long way. No one ever enjoys paying taxes and you helping him or her out might be of value to you.   :dunno:

Offline mangonboat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2014, 05:04:00 PM »
I audited a New Hunter class that is mandatory in our state and I was surprised at how much stress was placed in the course materials and presentation about navigating public perceptions of hunting, how to approach land owners about permission and even how to deal with neighbors, hikers, joy-riders etc. who confront you while you're hunting.
Dirtguy, a strategy I have recommended to many of my clients who get crosswise with neighbors is to be proactive, to reach out and emphasize how positive the relationship has been and how it could be even better. Permission to hunt a good piece of property is important to you, but the land and neighbors are important to the  landowner  all year long. Is there anything you can offer to do in the off season that would make his land better at the same time it enhances your hunting lease? E.g., walk and repair the fences and gates, identify and maintain signage, put up wood duck nest boxes and martin houses, cut up trees that have fallen across roads, threaten fences and gates? Are your tree stands visible from neighboring lands or roads? That is a common trigger for neighbor complaints in suburban areas.
mangonboat

I've adopted too many bows that needed a good home.

Online Tony Sanders

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2014, 06:10:00 PM »
Man this is a bummer. Sorry to hear about that, but I can sympathize and have been down that road, when you lose a piece of good hunting property due to no fault of your own. But I have learned over the years, that if you don't own the property, it's not a matter of if you lose the property, but it's a matter of when.

Tony

Offline ISP 5353

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2014, 06:18:00 PM »
Try money.......that often works!

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2014, 06:24:00 PM »
Me too. Heavy heart. 15 years for me, gone in just a weeks time.
Pulled my last stand today. Was planning on teaching my son back in my area, but not anymore.
Not much left over here Robert.
Fight for it if you can.
David M. Conroy

Offline Michael Arnette

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2014, 07:21:00 PM »
Sad stuff! Every year I hear a few of these stories and have set out over the last few years to make my hunting future more flexible. I hunt several public areas, save for out of state hunts, and also hunt a great piece of property which I grew up on and is owned by my parents. In a few years I plan to buy a piece of my own.
I don't want to be in the position of not being able to hunt or depending on others goodwill to hunt their land and plan to continue the footwork necessary to stay in a liquid position.
That being said I'm sorry to hear about this right during the peak of season and encourage you to find other options which may prove great!

Offline Michael Arnette

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2014, 07:22:00 PM »
"Try money.......that often works!"

Online elkken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2014, 07:36:00 PM »
Be sure you plead your case face to face and NOT through email ... email is a terrible way to communicate/negotiate. It becomes too impersonal and it makes it too easy to say NO ... go with a smile on your face and your hat in your hand. Let them know your are respectful of their property and are extremely grateful for the opportunity to share in their treasure and will do almost anything to keep the privilege. Make it personal and sincere and in no way be defensive. Talk about the positives of bowhunting, respect for the animals, and your role as stewards of the land they allow you to use for these purposes.

Good luck, Ken
Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Benjy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2014, 08:15:00 PM »
Offer to buy hunters liability insurance to protect the land owner from any accidents that happen on his property. This would cover him if the complaining neighbors kids fall out of a tree on his property and they try to sue him! This is a huge benefit for the landowner!

Good luck with your pursuit.

The private land that I hunt, no one knows that I am there but the land owner. His own daughter that lives 1/4 of a mile away did not know it for 5 years!

Keep a low profile!!!!!!!!!!
TGMM Family of the Bow
ZIPPER NITRO 64" LONGBOW 50#@29"
ZIPPER SXT   60" RECURVE 52#@29"
ZIPPER SXT   64" LONGBOW 71#@29"

Offline J-dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2014, 08:36:00 PM »
Originally posted by Izzy:
Throw the owner a cash offer to lease rights. Money goes a long, long way. No one ever enjoys paying taxes and you helping him or her out might be of value to you.    :dunno:  
Agree, least it is an idea to help the cause?
Always be stubborn.

Captain hindsight to the rescue!

Online MnFn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2014, 08:55:00 PM »
When I needed to have somewhere to hunt I "purchased" the right by showing up well before season and helped plow one of his fields, helped him roof his shed, etc. Nothing new but it cemented a relationship for years.

Even when I now hunt occaisionally on one of my relatives land I offer to help put up firewood and try to drop off some of his favorite snacks like jerky or pepper sticks after season.  I now own my own land, but two nephews have made it very difficult to say no to them just because of all the little things they do to help me out.

One experience was enlightening.  Our hunting party was politely told that we needed to find a new place to hunt for rifle season.  I was on the "fringe" of this group.  The group basically never hunted together again.

The following year I approached the couple and explained that I knew permission to rifle hunt had been denied but wondered if I might be able to hunt a portion of it just during archery season.  Their reply began with "you know, sometimes it feels like we don't even own our own land anymore". Nobody even bothered to ask us if they could hunt here, or park their vehicles in our farmyard.  They felt we were taking advantage of them.  I never forgot that, and never take anything for granted.  I was granted permission to hunt their land during archery season.  Each year I always ask - even my relatives.
"By the looks of his footprint he must be a big fella"  Marge Gunderson (Fargo)

"Ain't no rock going to take my place". Luke 19:40

Online Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2014, 09:10:00 PM »
Would suggest offering respect for his decision and genuinely thank him for the gift of hunting rights over the past few years.

Do nothing to burn any bridges and maintain amicable contact. Minds and positions may change in your favor and if not, you maintained the value of friendship. Lost rights years ago because the kids and grandkids of the owner wished to hunt. Three years later, the owner offered me a place to hunt that turned out to be even better ground.

Hunting privilages are a gift to be both highly  regarded and highly valued.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline jwhitetail

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2014, 09:19:00 PM »
Man that is a bummer...
I believe Elken gave some great advice.  
  Be sure you plead your case face to face and NOT through email ... email is a terrible way to communicate/negotiate. It becomes too impersonal and it makes it too easy to say NO ... go with a smile on your face and your hat in your hand. Let them know your are respectful of their property and are extremely grateful for the opportunity to share in their treasure and will do almost anything to keep the privilege. Make it personal and sincere and in no way be defensive. Talk about the positives of bowhunting, respect for the animals, and your role as stewards of the land they allow you to use for these purposes  Be sure you plead your case face to face and NOT through email ... email is a terrible way to communicate/negotiate. It becomes too impersonal and it makes it too easy to say NO ... go with a smile on your face and your hat in your hand. Let them know your are respectful of their property and are extremely grateful for the opportunity to share in their treasure and will do almost anything to keep the privilege.

This has worked for me in obtaining permission, may work in salvaging permission... in the long run, if you are honest about your passion for hunting, even non hunters will understand.
3 JD Berry Duo-Flex long bows
A pile of JD Berry ASL bows
2 JD Berry "OE" Long Bows

A Coyote ran accross the road, on the move without a home...
T. Petty

Offline joe ashton

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2014, 12:42:00 AM »
That sucks.
Joe Ashton,D.C.
 pronghorn long bow  54#
 black widow long bow 55#
 21 century long bow 55#
 big horn recurve  58#