3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: LL Beans or Schnees  (Read 514 times)

Offline tracker12

• Trad Bowhunter
LL Beans or Schnees
« on: November 11, 2014, 09:48:00 PM »
My trusty G H Bass Maine hunting boot finally gave out today and separated from the robber bottom to leather upper.  Bass no longer makes them and I have no idea where to get them repaired.  Loosing these are like loosing an old friend.  

Trying to decide whether to replace them with LL Bean or Schnees.  The last time I looked at the LL bean the quality did not look as good as the old ones.  That being said I have never owed anything from Schnees but review seem to be pretty good.
T ZZZZ

Offline stykbow67

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: LL Beans or Schnees
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2014, 10:16:00 PM »
If your wanting uninsulated I'd stick with the Beans, I've got a pair that's probably 6-7 yrs old and they're wearing fine. If your wanting something insulated then definitely look at the Schnees Outfitter II  with T/T soles they're good down to about 20*.

Steve

Offline FBB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2014, 10:18:00 PM »
Schnees are hard to beat for that style of boot imo. I have 3 pair and my brother has 3 pair also. We both wear size 15 so our choice is limited but they're comfortable to walk in and keep my feet warm. The extremes are nice and warm down to around zero. I doubt that you would be disappointed.

Offline Pete McMiller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2014, 10:24:00 PM »
Don't know what you want in a boot so it's hard to say.  I've had the uninsulated Beans years ago and since then LaCrosse and now Schnee's.  My favorite for lightly insulated pac boots are the Schnee's.  Very comfortable and well made.  The air-bob soles offer good traction as well.
Pete
WTA
CTAS
PBS

Charter member - Ye Old F.A.R.T.S and Elkaholics Anonymous

MOLON LABE  [mo 'lon  la 've]

"That human optimism & goodness that we put our faith in, is in no more danger than the stars in the jaws of the clouds." ............Victor Hugo

Online Terry Lightle

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2014, 05:57:00 AM »
I have the Schnees Outfitter II and am happy with them
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Life Member

Offline Roger Norris

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2014, 06:18:00 AM »
Schnees, hands down,  are twice the quality
"Good Lord....well, your new name is Sledge."
Ron LaClair upon seeing the destruction of his new lock on the east gate

"A man that cheats in the woods will cheat anywhere"
G. Fred Asbell

Offline tracker12

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2014, 06:53:00 AM »
Looking for uninsulated.
T ZZZZ

Offline Roger Norris

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2014, 07:31:00 AM »
My Schnees are uninsulated. I live in them most of the hunting season.  On real cold days I set my feet on a piece of wool while on stand.
"Good Lord....well, your new name is Sledge."
Ron LaClair upon seeing the destruction of his new lock on the east gate

"A man that cheats in the woods will cheat anywhere"
G. Fred Asbell

Offline NittanyRider

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2014, 07:44:00 AM »
Roger - which ones do you have... Guide ADV or T/T?  I like the traction of the air bob sole, but am always impressed with how quiet the tire tread soles are on my bean boots.

Offline Kevin Dill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2014, 07:54:00 AM »
If it makes any difference: Monty Browning's favorite pair of everyday boots in the Alaskan bush is the LL Bean hunting boot. He beats them hard (trust me) and they don't fail.

Me...I've owned both and they are good boots. Schnee's has a good warranty and LL Bean has a lifetime return guarantee. Both are USA crafted. The Schnee's are typically heavier in weight and built for tougher duty. The Beaners are more of an eastern style boot in my mind. Neither boot is completely waterproof. If I was going to use the boots for serious long hikes and carrying packs I would likely get the Schnee's. For general purpose deer and situations requiring a boot you can use many ways, the LL Bean boot is a very good one.

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2014, 08:15:00 AM »
I have never worn the Schnee's but I have looked at them quite a bit.  I have owned Bean (uninsulated) boots most of my adult life.

I have to agree with Kevin's assessment.  Both are good boots, but maybe they are built for slightly different purposes with the expected results showing that.  

Air bob soles are great for traction, but can't even come close to quiet sneaking ability like the Bean's, which is why I wear them.  

Choose the one that fits your need, or, get both.
ChuckC

Offline huntmaster70

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2014, 08:20:00 AM »
Never had Schnees- Have 2pr. LL bean, 1 uninsulated & 1 goretex & thinsulate insulated. Only complaint is they both are a little more slippery on wet side hills covered with leaves then some others with a better tread pattern. Other than that they are great boots.

Offline tracker12

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2014, 08:38:00 AM »
The gum shoe tread is what I like best about this style boot.  They are the quietest boot I have found.  Especially on a metal stand.  I hunted this year with a guy in Colorado on an elk hunt and that's all he uses during the archery season and he is a CO resident.  I questioned his choice until I walked with him and realized how quiet they can be.  The biggest challenge is getting the right size to make them comfortable to walk in.
T ZZZZ

Offline Roadkill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2014, 10:46:00 AM »
three pairs of Beans.  Too many years in them;;they are slick on side hills,  mine are 100% water proof, they are as quiet as a boot gets.
Might get Schnees next time as I now live in the mountains, need the traction.
As stated measure your usage and them get the ones that serve your purposes.  American made is a plus for each!
Cast a long shadow-you may provide shade to someone who needs it.  Semper Fi

Offline lone hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2014, 11:27:00 AM »
For my neck-of-the-woods, Schnee's without question. Have four pairs with air-bobs, TT around here will have you on your butt. Have one pair of 16" insulated that I bought in '84 and their still going strong.

Offline Ray Lyon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2014, 11:35:00 AM »
I got a pair of Kevin Dill's Schnees and wore them for the first time up at Shrewhaven Camp last week.  We had some snow on the ground (just enough to make it greasy). What I really notice about them was how solid the traction was going up a hill. No slips at all.  The were comfortable to walk in as well.
Tradgang Charter Member #35

Online bswear

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2014, 12:36:00 PM »
Try walking from the woods into your kitchen with the air bob soles!  The Bean sole is brilliant if you are frequently inside and out(home or tent).

And no the quality has not slipped.  The Maine hunting shoe is still awesome.  They do have some yuppie models that are a bit cheaper.

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2014, 01:08:00 PM »
I say Schnee's as well.I have a pair of uninsulated and a pair with liners for cold weather.They are great.Ray Lyon's mention of the traction is a good point.The bob soles on Schnee's offer great traction but have enough flex that they are as quiet as any.I ran a trapline all last Winter,switching between the uninsulated Schnee's and a pair of Danner's that had been newly resoled with a Vibram lug sole and the Schnee's had noticeably better traction.I used Beans for many years in the '70's and '80's and they were great but I wouldn't switch back.The Schnee's are the most common boot you see here on game wardens,loggers,lion hunters etc,once Fall sets in.

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2014, 06:01:00 PM »
I have worn Bean Boots for many years,in the 70's - 90's. I believe I had 4 pair over that time span. My last pair gave up the ghost about 15 years ago. Over the last 15 years I've been through about 6-7 pair of differant boots.

A couple months ago, I lucked into a pair of 8" Bean boots at the GoodWill store... $14!!!!!  :bigsmyl:  Not as high as I'd like,but the price was right!!!

I've worn them all Bow Season so far, and the 1st day I quickly realized what I have been missing!!!!! Next time I need "Hunting Boots" I'll pay the money and buy L.L.Beans!!!   :thumbsup:
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Offline TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2014, 06:12:00 PM »
I have both and they are both excellent quality. I find myself in the Schnees more often than the Beans.
"If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" Gen. Eric Shinsheki

"If you laugh, and you think, and you cry, that's a full day, that's a heck of a day." Jim Valvano.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©