3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: another static question  (Read 182 times)

Offline jt85

• Trad Bowhunter
another static question
« on: November 11, 2014, 10:34:00 PM »
I seem to shoot hybrid longbows better than recurves but have been thinking about trying a static so I my question is does a static recurve generally just appeal to recurve guys or do they work for longbow shooters as well.
I'm sorry if this doesn't make sense I have tried to figure out a better way of wording this but can't seem to get it out right.
Black Widow PCH 58" 48#@28"
Mohawk Sparrowhawk 62" 49@28
Mohawk Sparrowhawk 62" 52#@28
Wengerd Ibex 58" 50#@28

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: another static question
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2014, 11:49:00 PM »
What bow you shoot the best has more to do with the grip and your form than it does the bow itself.

The static tip recurve stores more energy in a shorter portion of the limb. If the design is good, you get a feeling of let off in the draw cycle that is very popular among target archers and hunters both..... Depending on the preload of the limbs, and how well the bows limbs are balanced, they can be very quiet & shock free too...

But..... comparing a Static tip recurve to a hybrid long bow in terms of how good they shoot is like comparing how well two different cars drive to the store...... It's the operator brutha, or in this case the archer.... Not the bow.

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2014, 12:05:00 AM »
One more thought here for you....

The shape of limbs on the bow, and how they store energy can effect the DFC chart and how the bow feels to draw it. But if two different designs are shooting the same speed your trajectory will be the same.

Where the big difference often lies is the shelf cut out, and how far too- center or past- center its cut. That and the shelf height from the center of the bow.

I can take a static tip recurve, and cut the shelf right to center. and bring the shelf down to 3/4" above center so  those arrows are right on your knuckle. Once you've got your arrows tuned, you could cant this bow clear to 3 O-clock and not effect your windage. The thing will shoot just like a D shaped long bow without a shelf at all.

Now if you get a riser cut 3/16" past center and use an elevated rest with stiffer spine arrows. You better be shooting perfectly vertical with that bow every time or your windage will be all over the place....

another thing that makes a difference is where your crown on the shelf is located. It should be right above the deepest part of your grip.

Offline Diamond Paul

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2014, 12:20:00 AM »
I just got one of the Dryad Orions with ACS recurve limbs, and it certainly doesn't feel like any longbow I've ever drawn, not at all.  It does feel stiffer at the first part of the draw cycle than my dynamic limb bows and then that feeling lessens; it doesn't seem to continuously get heavier as dynamic limbs do, but starts heavier, if that makes sense.  I've not drawn a longbow that feels like that; they all seem harder at the back end than recurves of comparable weight to me, regardless of the design.  The Dryad does not feel like that, at least not to me.
“Sometimes the shark go away, sometimes he wouldn’t go away.” Quint, from Jaws

Offline Pheonixarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2014, 04:37:00 AM »
Listen to Kirk! He knows what he is talking about!!!
Plant a fruit or nut tree today, and have good hunting tomorrow.
=}}}}}-----------------------------}>

Offline screamin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2014, 12:41:00 AM »
I can take a static tip recurve, and cut the shelf right to center. and bring the shelf down to 3/4" above center so those arrows are right on your knuckle. Once you've got your arrows tuned, you could cant this bow clear to 3 O-clock and not effect your windage. The thing will shoot just like a D shaped long bow without a shelf at all.
Seriously Kirk, you can do that? Seems like I fight with this problem all the time. How do I fix it?

Offline Flying Dutchman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2014, 02:33:00 AM »
I second the grip! The Caribow Peregrine was my to go bow for two years. This is a 1-pce hybrid. Then I was able to buy a 2nd hand Whippenstick Phoenix, which is a 3-pce semi static recurve. No problems and I can switch between both bows without any problems and shoot them equally well.
Then bought a used RER Vital, which is a 3-pce static tip recurve. No matter what I tried, it kept shooting to the right.
This bow was way more center cut and the throat of the grip was much thicker, giving another feeling in my hand.I build out the strikeplate, even till it was center-cut, hoping this might solve the problems. It didn't. Probably that thick throat caused the shooting to the right, due to a slightly different hand position. Other then that, I could shoot it as well as my other bows. So grip determines a lot! In the end I sold my Vital.... I still regres that choice, because it was a great shooting bow. I should have send that riser back for adjusting it to a narrower throat....
Oh well, maybe I will buy a RER retro once... They have a narrow grip....
But in general I had no difficulties in moving over from a hybride to a SS.
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that string! [/i]                            :rolleyes:              
Cari-bow Peregrine
Whippenstick Phoenix
Timberghost ordered
SBD strings on all, what else?

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©