3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: S.E. Iowa bunny hunt  (Read 6398 times)

Offline Mr.Vic

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: S.E. Iowa bunny hunt
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2007, 10:12:00 PM »
Ok fellars, fixed a couple wood dowels up today and went to the hay barn for a new twine bow string, Bow was a little crooked but I bent her back. License? What's that Shaun?
“I am glad I will not be young in a future without wilderness.”
― Aldo Leopold

Offline Dave Pagel

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2007, 06:59:00 AM »
If Court shoots his Vortex and Chris shoots the MOAB, it will almost be like I was there!  Have fun guys.  I am headed for Kalamazoo.

Dave

Offline Ham

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2007, 12:13:00 PM »
I hope a small turn out doesn't discourage an encore down the road.  I'm leaving this weekend for two weeks in Costa Rica; so I won't be there.  Maybe next time.  By the way, don't you have a few porkers roaming that area?

Offline Iowa Stickbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2007, 01:01:00 PM »
Remember we want pictures for those of us that can't go this saturday....Good Luck and if things go good maybe do this again next month,maybe over Presidents day week-end...what say you?

Offline bowmac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2007, 04:27:00 PM »
I'll try to get some pics. Ought to be a most handsome group of archers. At least thats our story and we are sticking to it. Dave, I am taking the Vortex if by chance I happen to actually get a bunny I'll name it for you and hang its ears above your ol' bow. Ham, once in awhile I hear of a porker running around but nothing to brag about yet. Our DNR did say that we are starting to get a few. With any luck we will have another hunt in February. Does anyone have an area they would like to pick?
Wool the Natural Fiber

Offline Shaun

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2007, 05:03:00 PM »
Taking a MOAB for backup and a selfbow for fun. Taking a camara for pics. My cell 319-321-1414.

Offline Mr.Vic

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2007, 05:20:00 PM »
Heck guys the heat is on and the snow melting. Keeps this up and i might show up wearing shorts and t shirt. All ready but a haircut. Hope your cameras take thin pictures..
― Aldo Leopold

Offline bowmac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2007, 06:46:00 PM »
Vic I'll turn my camera vertical if you want, that way it won't take wide pics.
Wool the Natural Fiber

Offline KELLEY40

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2007, 07:14:00 PM »
Wish i could go but behind at work,so have to be there.Would be fun !!! I've been to shaun's house a couple years ago about 20 minutes from me,and got to shoot a few of his bows!!! I'll have to get together with you guy's in the near future!
Have fun and leave a few for seed !!!!
Ron......Wellman,ia

Offline Mr.Vic

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: January 26, 2007, 08:01:00 PM »
Thanks Court, Between that and me wearing plaid to di-fuse my human form, it should work..    Kelly i don't have to worry about saving any for seed, I would be surprised if i stumbled and hit one.
― Aldo Leopold

Offline KELLEY40

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: January 27, 2007, 03:56:00 PM »
I'll be waiting for pics and stories !!!!!!
Ron

Offline Mr.Vic

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: January 27, 2007, 04:49:00 PM »
I'll let others tell the stories and show the pictures. All i will say is thank god for my easy chair!! Feet are howling. Never hunted with a finer groups of guys..
― Aldo Leopold

Offline Shaun

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: January 27, 2007, 06:29:00 PM »

A fine day afield. Mr Vic and I agreed we need to get out more often. Rabbits 12 archers 0. I had one real nice running 15 yard shot and came close. Had one 18 yard straight up at a squirrel and got even closer.

Did you know they have an osage auction at Keosaqua on Saturday mornings? Had to do a U turn and check that out.

Great to see you again Tom, small world from field dogs to trad archery.

Offline bowmac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: January 27, 2007, 06:55:00 PM »
Well here we go, it was a fine day in S.E.Iowa. We met at the Tug Fork boat ramp as planned (across the road from Lake Sugema). Couldn't have asked for a finer day (almost). As Lefty was the only person that had hunted this area we quickly made him Head Scout. I bowfish this area quite a bit in the summer but haven't ventured into the wild area around it seeking out the reclusive furball bunny. I would like to say that everything started out great but instead my camera didn't get a single pic and I lost our Beagle in the first 15 minutes. I would like to say that it was some of the easiest walking I ever did but then again that would be a lie (For verification of this anyone can ask Mr. Vic). As for me I am still picking thorns out of my hands and face. I wouldn't make a very good brush dog. Anyhow I want to show you a pic of some of the handsomest Archers I ever had the privilege of hunting with. OOPS!! Minus Lefty as he is handling the camera work.

Wool the Natural Fiber

Offline TRB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: January 27, 2007, 07:22:00 PM »
That is a handsome group. Just woke up from my nap, had a cramp in my right leg. Shaun its only been 14 years. Thanks again Lefty.

Offline bowmac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: January 27, 2007, 07:23:00 PM »
Well as I stated above our Beagle left us after about 15 minutes and had her own adventure if she could only talk it might be a better story than this one. The first bunny that got up nobody got a shot at. It was somewhere between my Son (Damon) and Lefty. The second bunny we got up went screaming at hyper speed behind Shaun. He took a long shot but I think the furball was outrunning his arrow by then. The third bunny in this hunt got up between myself and Mr. Vic as we were gracefully sliding down into a creekbed. All I saw was a white ball of fur blazing through trees, brush and briars. At this point I had found a Turkey feather (good luck----NOT!!)and Tom had come up on a deer carcass. Probably been eaten by these Demon Bunnies! From this point on I will be losing track of who seen bunnies or not. As we came out of the Jungle undergrowth (a little exaggerated), we came into a creek bottom. This will be better walking (NOT!!!). You know how hard it is to carry your bow with an arrow ready in 4 foot high slew grass? Well at the least we gave our legs some good exercise. We came to another road and took a breather (Not that any of us needed it). After a 5 minute or so relaxing period we turned around and did it again. Now thats dedication or ????? Shortly after crossing the fence and getting our priorities in line, of course a bunny takes off right smack dab in front of us. I don't have an arrow on yet, Shaun is testing his out and Tom doesn't have an arrow ready yet. Guess what? The daring bunny runs right past us and laughs I think as he makes his way by. By now the going is much better and I am going to take a break for supper. Hot Chili soup sounds good at the moment.

Wool the Natural Fiber

Offline Shaun

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: January 27, 2007, 08:04:00 PM »
That last one Court mentioned just after crossing the fence was a hoot. I was stretching my muscles and limbering the selfbow when up hops a rabbit that thought I was sighting down the cane shaft which happened to be pointed his way. Open field straight away 15 yards... right at Tom. I managed to get Tom's attention but to no avail, he was still unloaded from the fence crossing. The rabbit button hooked around him and back to the road ditch and away. It is generally not safe to walk with a nocked arrow but we were all shooting blunts and being careful.

Offline bowmac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: January 27, 2007, 08:10:00 PM »
Chili was good. As I had stated the walking back was much easier going. We stayed up high and shorter grass. Never saw a rabbit til we came up on a brush draw in the gully. So much brush and small trees have been cut down and piled its great for the bunnies but next to impossible to get them out. As we made our way through and around the brush. Tom or Mr. Vic hollered that they had a bunny going. As I straddled a down tree the critter came blazing by me and headed for Shaun. I thought for a moment it was going to run him down. Just before it got to Shaun he slowed down, turned and found another geat. Shaun made a good shot but it just didn't find the mark. We made our way on across the open field and towards our trucks for a little food and relaxation. Through all of this we had numerous Turkey's in front of us. Lefty could have shot one at close range if the Season would have been open. I think critters know about this and like to tease.

Wool the Natural Fiber

Offline bowmac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: January 27, 2007, 08:41:00 PM »
As we had reached civilization again we took a break and partook of Venison sticks, sausage, crackers and cheese. We visited with each other and had some drinks to replenish our strength. After about a 20 minute break we decided to go the other direction from where we had been. Even though we are were pretty warm when we got to the trucks we had chilled considerably. The first draw we hit Damon got a bunny up and going towards Mr. Vic. Vic never saw him so we presumed he found a nice burrow to hide in. Shortly after that I got one up. Coming to full draw he had blitzed about 20 yards down the draw. All I could see was brush and trees and never got a shot. Going onward we came to another draw or cliff for me. I quivered my arrow and slid down the ravine landing on my posterior end. I think Damon got a kick out of that one. At this point I need to thank Dave Pagel even though he was in K-zoo. Do to me purchasing his Vortex it came in very handy hooking over growths to let me crawl up the other side of the ravine. Without it I would have never made it and would have fallen prey to these Demon bunnies. I know that would happen as I spied another deer carcass. Probably fallen to these critters. As we all presevered and surged onward we got more turkeys up along the Lake. Hearing someone holler I stared in awe as a fine Whitetail went bounding through the four foot high grasslands headed towards the Lake. It was a neat sight as Mr. Vic simulated a full draw on his quarry and followed through. The majestic Whitetail bounded over the hill headed towards the Lake last we seen. No sooner had that happened and another turkey arose from the grass and sailed out and headed towards the Lake. We didn't think the turkey would make it but he labored through it and landed on the other side. Hooking around the fingers of the Lake we circled and headed back. More rabbits were got up without any shot opportunities. Mr. Vic came to full draw on one but the shot wasn't there. Another one got up for Damon and headed into thick underbrush. Damon and I waded into it and ended up crawling through half of it. As I made it to an area I could stand up in a Grey Squirrel went behind me and up a tree. Hollering at Shaun to let him know he asked me if I had any flu-flu's. Like any self respecting archer I exclaimed yes they are in my side quiver back at the truck (duh). Shaun had one and took a close shot at the Grey about 18 to 20 feet up. Even though he didn't get the Grey it decided it had had enough and came screeching down the tree. Ah-Hah I thought. By the time the little guy hit bottom I was at full draw. I released just as he hit the ground. My Hex head spun him around and he wasn't moving very fast away from me. Damon, I and Lefty went to where I last saw him about 10 yards through the brush. Damon heard him bark but we never could find him. Alas, all I had was some grey hair on my Hex head. Anyway all in all I really did have a great time and would do it again in a minute. It was great spending some quality time with fellow Tradgangers. Whether hunting, stumpshooting or just BS'in it is all worth it. I just thank the Lord for giving me the chance to share such fine Fellowship.
Wool the Natural Fiber

Offline bowmac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: January 27, 2007, 08:46:00 PM »
Here's one more pic of us. Shaun was verifying the hair on my arrow. Thanks for letting Damon and I hunt with you guys and hopefully we will do'er agin'. Left to Right in the pic is Damon, Tom, Shaun, Mr. Vic and myself. Thanks to Lefty who is still handling the camera. Oh, by the way found our Beagle about an hour after the guys parted way. She was slipping and sliding across Tug Fork Lake. Don't know what she thought she was going to find out there but it was a sight to behold.

Wool the Natural Fiber

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©