3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: tips for getting a ladder stand up easy  (Read 349 times)

Offline Slickhead

• Trad Bowhunter
tips for getting a ladder stand up easy
« on: November 12, 2014, 09:55:00 AM »
anyone have tips that makes getting a ladder stand (commercial) up easier
Sat I moved my stand and by the time I was done...I was done!
Got to be an easier way

I was wondering about a section at a time?
anyone do this?
Slickhead

Offline Soonerlongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: tips for getting a ladder stand up easy
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2014, 10:09:00 AM »
There are commercially available winch & lever/anchor setups that significantly help. However, they cost $ and I've found that additional man power is the best bet.
PSE Legacy 55@28
Diamondback Venom 55@28

US Army MP 2000-'08

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2014, 10:20:00 AM »
Bring a climber and hang a pulley and rope above the setup and just pull it up.  Takes all the "top heaviness" out of it.  If we can, we also pull them up with 4-wheeler with the pulley system.  That's almost cheating!    :bigsmyl:
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2014, 10:36:00 AM »
Two or three people is best, but not always available.  When on my own, I use a block and tackle system sold for hanging deer.  Put a loop around the tree as high as you can and attach there and about 2/3rds up the ladder  It really helps.  Lightweight, quiet, easy and cheap.

I can walk the basic models up myself, but the taller full platform models that I like overgross me.
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2014, 10:38:00 AM »
A second person to anchor the legs is almost mandatory to do it safely.  In some cases if there happens to be a fallen tree trunk in the right position I've used it to wedge the legs under and keep them from sliding as I walk the stand up.  The pulley and rope seems like it would be good as well, but a lot of work and extra gear needed to do it.  

When it comes down to it, I love hunting from a ladder once it's up, but I hate setting and moving them!
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2014, 11:41:00 AM »
Ladders have another unique and hidden issue.  Now that you got it leaning up against the tree, you need to climb up to the top to secure it with its built in (or added) strap.  There are ways to do this more safely. .  lets hear them.

ChuckC

Offline D. Key

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2014, 12:00:00 PM »
I have a couple of ladder stands but don't use them too much.  However, in setting them by myself, I usually set the ladder at the base of the tree and walk the ladder up from the seat end.  Depending upon how tall it is, determines how much weight and how difficult this can become.  Having additional help will be much more beneficial but it can be done alone.

As I get older, safety is a bigger priority than when I was younger and more bullet-proof.

Good luck.
"Pick-A-Spot"

Doug Key

Offline Slickhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2014, 12:54:00 PM »
chuckc
I always use ropes to help secure the stand until I get to the top to ratchet it to the tree.
Also mine came with a mid support bar (that helps some)
Still a little un-nerving when climbing up
Ive had some hairy moments in the last 2 years doing this.

I guess turning another year older this week dont help!
Slickhead

Offline Brad Arnett

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2014, 01:23:00 PM »
Originally posted by ChuckC:
Ladders have another unique and hidden issue.  Now that you got it leaning up against the tree, you need to climb up to the top to secure it with its built in (or added) strap.  There are ways to do this more safely. .  lets hear them.

ChuckC
2 long ropes attached at the top of the stand, one on each side. Once the stand is up on the tree I take those ropes and cross them behind the tree and then back around and tie off to the ladder. Then attach the middle bar to the tree and climb up and ratchet them down. It's pretty darn stable doing it like this.

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2014, 02:36:00 PM »
I do 2 things to secure the ladder before I go up to attach the ratchet strap.  First, most stands come with a couple ropes that go from the top of the stand, around the tree and then tie lower down on the ladder.  I bring these around criscrossed and tighten them down with a trucker hitch.  Get them pretty tight.  Next is the stablizer bar.  Get it in place solid to the tree and then run another rope from the ladder, around the trunk and back to the ladder.  Anchor with a trucker hitch and pull it tight.  These two steps hold the stand to the tree pretty well.  Also be sure the bottom of the ladder is well seated into the ground.

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2014, 03:15:00 PM »
Originally posted by Brad Arnett:

Originally posted by ChuckC:

ChuckC
2 long ropes attached at the top of the stand, one on each side. Once the stand is up on the tree I take those ropes and cross them behind the tree and then back around and tie off to the ladder. Then attach the middle bar to the tree and climb up and ratchet them down. It's pretty darn stable doing it like this. [/b]
Yep
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Offline Caleb the bow breaker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2014, 03:30:00 PM »
a ratchet strap from the ladder, around the tree and back to the ladder also holds the stands pretty tight against the support bar until you can shimmy up and fasten the strap at the top.  

C
Oh squeaky treestand, how I hate thee!

Offline Kevin Lawler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2014, 10:03:00 PM »
I've done this many times with 15 footers. Assemble the stand and as you walk it up at the base of the tree the base will push into the ground. By the time you get it up far enough for the top to be heavier than the bottom it is in the ground enough to not flip over. Get the top against the tree and lift the stand up enough to pull the bottom out away from the base. If I I have another short section I will lean it against the tree and raise the stand up myself while I use my body to position the last section. You have to make sure that the second section doesn't get clogged with dirt if you can help it. After you get it against the tree you add the support bar and then climb carefully up and attach the ratchet to the top. With my son at college I have had to do this 4 times this year. 3 of those times had extra 3 foot sections at the bottom of a 15 foot ladders stand. Never really had a problem doing it.

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2014, 06:51:00 AM »
A couple plastic tent stakes and a piece of limb will hold the legs while you walk the stand up into position. Stakes are light weight and pieces of wood are everywhere in the woods.
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline dbd870

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2014, 08:09:00 AM »
Originally posted by Whip:
A second person to anchor the legs is almost mandatory to do it safely.  In some cases if there happens to be a fallen tree trunk in the right position I've used it to wedge the legs under and keep them from sliding as I walk the stand up.
Items like the Tree Stand Up can take care of that problem.
SWA Spyder

Offline huntmaster70

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2014, 08:12:00 AM »
I took a couple of pieces of thin pipe big enough to slip over the bottom ladder legs & cut angle iron pointed stakes, joined the pipe & angle w/a bolt & locknut @ the bottom of the pipe so they pivot. Slide the pipes on the ladder legs, stomp the angle iron stakes in the ground, then walk the ladder/stand up. The ladder won't slide ahead of you or tip up. Quick & easy setup by yourself.

Offline mangonboat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2014, 10:54:00 AM »
It sounds like overkill, but I feel most comfortable using a 24 ' aluminum extension ladder with a "V" bolt-on adapter at the top, designed for use on poles and trees. It works well when setting up lock-on stands and climbing sticks, using that ladder to put my block in place if there's a cooperative limb or other location to secure it. Even if I have to walk the stand up , with help, I  stand on the extension ladder while I secure my ladder stand to the tree at the top. The first thing I do once I get the extension ladder in place is secure it at the top to the tree.
mangonboat

I've adopted too many bows that needed a good home.

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2014, 09:06:00 PM »
I wouldn't call a ladder overkill.  I've thought of it too and it's probably the safest way to do the job.  I'm just trying to limit how much stuff I have to haul into the woods to get a stand up.  I like hunting from ladder stands and use them more each year, but I hate hauling them in and out of the woods.  Anymore I have to load them on my deer cart (another "getting old" device).     :D

Offline Kevin Dill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2014, 06:15:00 AM »
The easiest way to get them set up usually involves beer and pizza.

;)

Offline TC in Spfld

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2014, 02:04:00 PM »
Although it takes an extra trip from the truck to the woods, I too use an aluminum extension ladder to come up behind the stand and cinch down a ratchet strap at the v-bar and another from the back of the platform.  Redundant perhaps, but along with the stabilizer bar makes a real solid setup. Another item that assists in a solo set up are Ameristep ladder stand levelers which universal fit square tubes.  I drive a metal tent stake through each one and I walk a 16' stand up a tree without any kicking out.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©