3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: My next bow choice  (Read 338 times)

Offline MikeWinVA

• Trad Bowhunter
My next bow choice
« on: November 13, 2014, 02:24:00 AM »
I took up archery about a year ago.  I am shooting a Samick Sage instinctively and usually can keep the arrows on a pie plate at 20 yards.  I have a fast flight string on it and it chronos out to about 170 fps at 9.5 gr/in, a 7.25" brace and 28" draw.  

I am looking to get another bow.  I would like to try a R/D longbow/flatbow, but like a high wrist grip.  Here are my criteria:

1.  One piece or 2 piece take down.  No bolt on limbs.

2.  Arrow shelf cut to center or 1/8" past.

3.  Forgiving to shoot.

4.  Fast Flyte compatible.

5.  Minimal hand shock.

6.  Longer than 61" but shorter than 72".

7.  Less than $600

8.  Efficient, but not at the expense of usability.

9.  Tillered so a 3 under draw does not make the bow loud.  I don't string walk.

10. A laminated bow (glass or carbon on the belly and face), not a self bow or backed self bow.

I am more concerned with function over aesthetics.  I would rather have a good bow in the hand than a pretty, but mediocre bow on the wall.  

Thanks for the help.

Offline 1flyfish

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: My next bow choice
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2014, 07:30:00 AM »
Look at Dwyer longbows. He builds and excellent RD bow at a base price of 495.00 you would be hard pressed to find a better bow at that price,his bows are top notch in all aspects. Good luck in your search
JD Berry Morningstar
Howard Hill Tembo
McBroom ASL
"Keep em flying straight"

Offline Bladepeek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2014, 07:49:00 AM »
I think you just described a bow that a lot of the sponsors on here build. I've bookmark their web sites and I window shop frequently through them. I've stopped to buy at more than a few of them and have yet to be disappointed. Most of the web sites are quite descriptive and many have in-stock bows pictured and priced.
60" Bear Super K LH 40#@28
69" Matt Meacham LH 42@28
66" Swift Wing LH 35@28
54" Java Man Elk Heart LH 43@28
62"/58" RER LXR LH 44/40@28

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2014, 08:13:00 AM »
You have quite a few choices in a 1pc based on these criteria.  The grip will definitely need to be a custom option as most r/d longbows and hybrids have a medium or low wrist grip.  Based on your less than $600 requirement you can eliminate the 2pc option on a new bow for the most part.  I just don't see it happening even with some bowyers' lowest base price on a plain Jane bow.  2pc is usually a $150-200 option just by itself on a new bow.  You 'might' be able to put together a low cost 2pc bow new if you up the budget to around 700-800 with certain bowyers.  

Several that stand out for me based on your criteria are:

Holm-made Bows (a def a possible option for you 1 or 2pc, one of the best values in trad archery right now, impeccable craftsmanship and top performance)

New Wood Bows (outstanding value at some of the lowest prices around, really nice bang for the buck)

Sarrels Archery (some good 1pc choices and a great bowyer to work with that makes a sweet shooting bow)

There are some other bowyers I'm not thinking of that folks will likely mention.

Otherwise you really may want to consider the pre-owned market and just search til you find the right bow.
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline kiamichi kid

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2014, 08:54:00 AM »
Kohannah Fury might be something for you to look at. R/D longbow with multiple grip options. It comes in under your budget as well with fantastic wood options at no extra charge. He also makes a flatbow that might fit your description.
For me, to live is Christ and to die is gain. Phil. 1:21

Offline bulldog18

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2014, 09:24:00 AM »
Check out Nate's new Expedition III at  www.bamabows.com  It fits your requirements other than the two piece option for your price range. My son bought one and I now have one on order.
Howard Hill Red Hawk 68" 46@28
Howard Hill Big 5, 68" 50@28
Bamabows Tribute 68" 60@28
St. Patricks Lake Mushin Styk 45@28
Black Widow PSA 60" 46@28
Black Widow PL 47@28
St. Patrick’s Lake Northern Styk 68” 44@28

Offline shreffler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2014, 10:13:00 AM »
All of these are good options for sure - but pay the $30 to become a contributing member and search the classifieds. There are all kinds of good used bows on there in your desired price range with those criteria.

Plus, if you buy used, you won't sink as much money into a bow you possibly might not like. Not to mention there will be no wait time compared to having a custom bow built.

Check out Maddog Archery as well, he makes a lot of good shooting bows for relatively cheap.
"If you're not bowhunting, your spirit is on standby." - Uncle Ted

Offline mooseman76

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2014, 10:21:00 AM »
Check out Montanabows.com for the whip longbow. My personal favorite longbow. I think it hits all your criteria except price. You can save $100 by getting colored fiberglass on the limbs so that would put you at $700. However, if you watch the inventory on that page you can occasionally snag a demo bow for less. Also, if you pay the $30 and watch the classifieds here you can get one for a great price. Good luck with whatever new bow you get...Mike

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©