3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Texas for Thanksgiving- any public land within reasonable distance to Brenham??  (Read 340 times)

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
I know Texas is not known for having lots of public land, but I thought I'd put out the feelers here to get some advice from the Texas guys.

I'll be just outside Brenham all Thanksgiving week and thought I might get in a day or two hunting if there's any public land within a couple hours max distance of there??  Non-resident permits aren't that expensive.  Something will be in season I'm sure.  

Thoughts?
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline Crittergetter

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
Nineworlds, there is a wma about 20 min from my house and a couple of pieces of private property I hunt. Only problem is I'm 4 hrs from Brenham.   :(
An elitist mentality creates discord, even among the elite!
"I went jackalope hunting but all I saw was does!"
Luck is when preparedness meets opportunity, I just need more opportunities!

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
Thanks for the thought, 4 hours one way is a bit more than I hoped to travel.  I was hoping to set my radius at 2 hours max, but I know with the size of Texas that's prolly dreamin.  

Had to try.  Depending on what I find out may just leave the bow and gear at home that week.  Can't hunt my in-laws land...they are "non-hunters" and won't tolerate me skinnin out an animal, even if its a rabbit.  My mother in law actually asked me last year "what is the whole point of shooting a deer?  What exactly do you get out of that?  (The meat was a given but she was basically wanting to know why I 'enjoy killing').  Clueless!!  And to think she was born and raised in a small town in Arkansas.
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline DeCurry

• Trad Bowhunter
I'm not overly familiar with hunting near that part of Texas, but I do know that you can get a permit to hunt in Sam Houston National Forest just to the E/NE of Brenham. You might look into that.

Link to the  Sam Houston TPWD page .
"I was raised on wolves milk, though it seems I sleep like a lamb."

Offline Crittergetter

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
Don't give up yet, I'm going to look thru my public lands book and see what I can find. I know there are some wma's around the Houston area. I'm just not familiar with that area. Maybe someone else will chime in too!

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
Thanks guys
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline Crittergetter

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
Man, your in luck! There are several counties around Brenham that have public access. I think there is even one in the same county as Brenham as best I can tell. I know nothing of these areas but I'm sure there is fun to be had if your willing to do the homework and put some boots on the ground! Best of luck and good hunting!!

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
Cool deal, I will look into it.  I take it I can most likely find addresses and info on Texas' fish and game website or some such?
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline Crittergetter

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
I would think so, I'm looking at my map booklet. I would assume you could download the maps of the areas your interested in. You get a book when you purchase your permit but it doesn't come in the mail for several weeks.  If it would help id be more than happy to send you my book. That way you could look it over before you made the decision to purchase a permit. I only go to the areas closest to me and I'm pretty familiar with them so I don't really need the book. Just let me know!

Offline 4BTradArchery

• Trad Bowhunter
Check out this link
 http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/huntwild/hunt/public/lands/table_contents/media/711_1121.pdf

I am from Bryan, about 50 miles west. If I was going to be home for Thanksgiving, I would just have you out to my place
Luck is when preparation meets opportunity - Darryl Royal

Dance with the one that brung ya - Darryl Royal

Chuck, I am in Georgetown (near Austin), about 1.5hrs from Brenham. I don't have a place to take you hunting as I am leaseless this year, and don't know squat about public land hunting here. But, if you are anywhere near the Austin Area while you are here, and just want to meet up and shoot some or something, let me know.

Bisch

Offline Bluegoose

• Trad Bowhunter
Chuck, I'm away from my public lands hunting book but the information is on line. One area close to Brenham is is Lake Somerville WMA. You'll have to check on what hunting is available at the time. Sam Houston National Forest is about an hour east of Brenham. Lots of hunting around Stubblefield Lake Campground SHNF is a WMA also.

Good luck!
Dave Johnson ASL 68" 50#@30"

Offline BDann

• Trad Bowhunter
I've hunted the Sommerville WMA before, in the Nails Creek area.  It would be a good place to start, not so huge that you wouldn't have any idea where to hunt.  Hog sign was pretty much everywhere.

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
Thanks for all the tips guys, I now feel like I can formulate a plan.  Somerville WMA is looking good.  I'd be satisfied just bagging a bunny or a 'yote to be honest LOL.

Bisch, I may take you up on the meet up if hunting doesn't pan out, 1.5h is totally doable.  The way that week is looking I will probably get 1 day to myself so will either try to hunt or maybe we can meet up.  I'll let you know.
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

If you want to deer hunt, the license will be $300. If you just want to pig hunt, you can get a 5 day license for like $48.

I'm on here every day, so just shoot me a PM or email if you want to try to meet up.

Bisch

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©