3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: With carbons, does 20 grains tip weight make a difference?  (Read 500 times)

Offline DanielB89

• Trad Bowhunter
With carbons, does 20 grains tip weight make a difference?
« on: November 14, 2014, 08:58:00 AM »
I have a set of carbons I am tuning.  I have upped my broadhead weight to around 200 grains and only have 175 grain field points.  When i shoot a 175 grain field point I can see a slightly stiff kick to it(it recovers after the first kick, but i can see a kick!

Then with my broadheads they seem to fly perfect..

I don't know if its just me or if 20 grains will make a difference like that.
"Blessed is the man who trusts in the LORD And whose trust is the LORD. Jeremiah 17:7

"There is a way which seems right to a man,
But its end is the way of death."  Proverbs 14:12

Re: With carbons, does 20 grains tip weight make a difference?
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2014, 09:05:00 AM »
Yes, 20gr can make a difference. Just go to 3Rivers and order yourself some 200gr field points and all will be good!

Bisch

Offline DanielB89

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2014, 09:07:00 AM »
Bisch,

at this point, I think I am just going to shoot my broadheads.  I am "tuned" up and ready for hunting, I was just wanting to make sure that the 20 grains would make a difference.
"Blessed is the man who trusts in the LORD And whose trust is the LORD. Jeremiah 17:7

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2014, 09:16:00 AM »
That's fine! I shoot a lot every day and am a believer that everything needs to be as the same as possible. I even use the 5gr brass washers to make my 145gr field point the same as my 150gr broadheads! I do not believe 5gr makes a difference, I just want everything as much the same as possible.

Bisch

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2014, 09:18:00 AM »
I recently experienced nearly the exact same thing but I couldn't see the kick with 175gr field tips but the 200'ish grain broadheads flew better than the 175'ish grain broadheads
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.
Various bows, but if you see me shooting, it's probably a Toelke in my hand!

Offline DanielB89

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2014, 09:29:00 AM »
Originally posted by old_goat2:
I recently experienced nearly the exact same thing but I couldn't see the kick with 175gr field tips but the 200'ish grain broadheads flew better than the 175'ish grain broadheads
thanks for the reply.  I think its weird that I can see the slightest kick.  These are some high FOC arrows that I'm trying out and the difference between the 2 is actually 275 as compared to 300.  That make make more of a difference, i'm not sure though.

Offline DanielB89

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2014, 09:31:00 AM »
Originally posted by Bisch:
That's fine! I shoot a lot every day and am a believer that everything needs to be as the same as possible. I even use the 5gr brass washers to make my 145gr field point the same as my 150gr broadheads! I do not believe 5gr makes a difference, I just want everything as much the same as possible.

Bisch
Bisch,

you aren't a perfectionist are you?  :)

Offline Mo0se

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2014, 09:53:00 AM »
Raise your brace a bit..problem solved.
A longbow and wood arrows? Peas and Carrots!

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2014, 10:02:00 AM »
Originally posted by DanielB89:

Originally posted by Bisch:

Bisch
Bisch,

you aren't a perfectionist are you?   :)  [/b]
I would not say that, but I am pretty darn particular when it comes to my archery stuff!!!

Bisch

Offline DanielB89

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2014, 10:17:00 AM »
Originally posted by Mo0se:
I don't know that there is a "problem".  I was just wondering if what I was seeing was true.  

If i raised the BH, wouldn't it make the 200 grain tips weaker?

« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2014, 10:30:00 AM »
Originally posted by DanielB89:

Originally posted by Mo0se:
I don't know that there is a "problem".  I was just wondering if what I was seeing was true.  

If i raised the BH, wouldn't it make the 200 grain tips weaker? [/b]
If one is perfect and one is not, changing something to fix one will proabably just make the other be off a bit!

The only way to "fix" this is to get field points the same weight as the broadheads.

Bisch

Offline Diamond Paul

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2014, 01:26:00 PM »
It's possible that you are seeing a difference that fine, but in J. Blackmon's arrow tuning vids he selects a shaft and 200gr points as optimum.  He then fletches them, and addresses the argument that feathers cover bare shaft flaws by shooting the fletched arrows at the same point with everything from 75 to 250grn heads.  The only real difference is height on the target, except the 75grn is an inch left of the others.  He strips the feathers and shoots them again, and they are all over the place.  So, it's hard to think that you are seeing that obvious a kick from 20 grains.  Any chance it's feather interference that is corrected by the extra weight?  Have you tried different nock positions?  Paul.
“Sometimes the shark go away, sometimes he wouldn’t go away.” Quint, from Jaws

Offline ISP 5353

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2014, 02:11:00 PM »
X2 what Bisch said!

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2014, 02:20:00 PM »
What happens when you have someone watch your arrow flight looking over your shoulder...I never trust what I think I am seeing with arrow flight without confirming it that way...of course that is after I have tuned by bareshafting

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline Kris

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2014, 12:35:00 PM »
If my BH's were flying well, like yours are, I'd be happy.  Increase the weight of your field points to get your 300 grains up front and see if they shoot the same as your BH's.  

Hard to always ascertain exactly why things happen the way they do.  Stumbling upon an acceptable outcome can be unforeseen luck.  

I too tune ad nausea and love it.  I read all I can get my hands on Re: subj.  No two shooters could use the same setup formula...too many differences and nuances.

I can typically getaway with 25 grains difference in tip weight on carbon arrows and have two different weight arrows shoot the same...or "close enough".

Hope you find an acceptable answer.

Kris

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2014, 12:44:00 PM »
Bisch gives great advice and if you've seen him shoot you know to listen. He can shoot the difference.
   :thumbsup:
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2014, 01:16:00 PM »
I tune by bare shafting as not much shows up with fletched shafts. I use a 2 blade BH which makes the arrow longer, and find  field points 25 or so grains heavier tune exactly like the BH's.
As DD said it is better to have someone look for you. Too much 'peeking' will affect your shot.

Offline Cavscout9753

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2014, 02:34:00 PM »
I've seen this question/subject come up a few times. "Does 'x' amount of tip weight effect flight?". I am in no ways even a "good" tuner but I do believe that your set up will have an optimal "sweet spot" so to speak. Once your arrow is tuned in the middle of this sweet spot there's a lot of forgiveness to be had; a few grains of weight, poor release, etc. There are people who'll say that they detect no difference with 5-20 grains difference, perhaps these people have an arrow set up in the middle of this sweet spot. Conversely, perhaps people who have 5-20 grains make their arrow go from "perfect" to "poor" flight have been on the fringe of that spot and the small change in weight brought them outside of the generous window of good flight. All that said, perhaps 200 was/is the bottom end of your sweet spot and while 15 grains under that is noticable you may find 15-20 grains above it to show little to no effect. Just food for thought of course, and like I said, I'm the archery worlds worst tuner. I often wonder how folks like Hill, Bear, and Pope ever did so well with cobbling together their arrows back then.
ΙΧΘΥΣ

Offline olddogrib

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2014, 06:12:00 PM »
Possibly...but my experience and philosophy mirrors Cavscout's.  We apparently induce individual variability in some form or fashion on every shot that far outweigh 20 grains worth of point weight or else we'd all be out of nocks!
"Wakan Tanka
 Wakan Tanka
 Pilamaya
 Wichoni heh"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©